Coleman propane stove with connection to large tank

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea

Reaction score
I’ve got a Coleman 2 burner stove connected to an 11lb propane tank using a hose from Home Depot. It works great for cooking. However, with my propane grill at home I would always turn the tank off then let the proposer from the hose “burn out” or run off then turn off the grill. When I try to do that with the Coleman, it keeps on cooking. Whenever I disconnect the hose, it seems to be full of pressurized propane. Is that normal?

Mine keeps going too. If you turn off the tank, the propane in the hose needs to burn out. Mine takes 30 sec or so if it's on high. Just turn the tank off when it's almost done cooking.

It sounds like the seal in the tank valve is leaking a small amount of propane. Try turning the valve closed with a bit more force...just a little bit more force, don't twist the hell out of it. 

If you still have trouble shutting it off, you will need to have that valve replaced. Since you probably can't just exchange an 11# tank, you will have to take it to a propane supplier/retailer who can do this for you. Then the tank will need to be tested, purged, and refilled.

With a back yard BBQ the hose is after the regulator.  It is one PSI.  The quantity of propane in the hose is tiny due to the extreme lowness of the pressure.  

The Coleman requires high pressure, 250 PSI, in the hose.  The quantity of propane in the hose is much greater due to the highness of the pressure.  

Do this:  when you are done cooking turn off the stove as normal.  Then turn off the tank valve.  Just turn it off.  Don't disconnect it just to drain it.  Don't leave the stove on until it runs out.  Be like electricity and use the path of least resistance.

I use an ozark trail propane stove on a 30 pound (I think?...) standard bbq grill tank with a walmart bulk tank adapter hose that was on clearance. I have the same thing happen. I usually dont bleed off the last of the propane for 2 reasons. I'd rather save the excess fuel than to waste it AND I turn my stove on before I turn on the tank to see how well it held the pressure so I'll know if there is a leak in the stove.

Edit: my tanks dont leak I just seem to have a lot of pressure still in the length of hose.. maybe 3 feet.

My post above was made with the assumption (maybe the wrong assumption) that the OP was letting the remaining fuel in the line have plenty of time to run out, maybe a half a minute to maybe a minute or so, depending on the length of the hose. 

But if the OP expects the burner to shut off as soon as he closes the valve at the tank, that wont happen. 

It does take a short amount of time, but if it's still burning strong after several minutes, then the tank valve is not fully shutting off the LP supply.

tx2sturgis said:
My post above was made with the assumption (maybe the wrong assumption) that the OP was letting the remaining fuel in the line have plenty of time to run out, maybe a half a minute to maybe a minute or so, depending on the length of the hose. 

But if the OP expects the burner to shut off as soon as he closes the valve at the tank, that wont happen. 

It does take a short amount of time, but if it's still burning strong after several minutes, then the tank valve is not fully shutting off the LP supply.

My sentiments exactly.

I cook outside because there’s no room inside. I bring my stove in at night to keep the critters away and because the winds have been so strong I was worried it might get blown off the table. When I disconnected it I heard the pressure release and would hear and smell more than a little propane which is why I tried turning off the tank for the last minute or two of cooking to burn up any remaining fuel in the line. I’ll time it tomorrow and see if it burns off in under a few minutes. Last time I tried this, it felt like it was running for 5 minutes but I wasn’t timing it. If it doesn’t burn out in a few minutes I’ll get the tank valve checked soon.

stevea said:
I cook outside because there’s no room inside. I bring my stove in at night to keep the critters away and because the winds have been so strong I was worried it might get blown off the table. When I disconnected it I heard the pressure release and would hear and smell more than a little propane which is why I tried turning off the tank for the last minute or two of cooking to burn up any remaining fuel in the line. I’ll time it tomorrow and see if it burns off in under a few minutes. Last time I tried this, it felt like it was running for 5 minutes but I wasn’t timing it. If it doesn’t burn out in a few minutes I’ll get the tank valve checked soon.

That's the best course of action I think. Try the experiment again and depending on the result given the variables observe the results.

Mine is stationary but yeah I do swap tanks and disconnect at times. I also pack it away at times as winds can blow them off of a table. Especially with the wind guards engaged. I usually dont sweat the small stuff. A slight mist of propane in the air... (which should be well ventilated to begin with) doesnt bother me much. Inside a vehicle more so.

the rubber hose going to Colemn appliances is high pressure a long hose can hold a lot of propane.

the stoves bleed off pretty quick, a couple of minutes usually. but my lantern on the other hand can go almost 45 minutes after you turn the tank valve off if the lantern is on low.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
the rubber hose going to Colemn appliances is high pressure a long hose can hold a lot of propane.

the stoves bleed off pretty quick,  a couple of minutes usually.  but my lantern on the other hand can go almost 45 minutes  after you turn the tank valve off if the lantern is on low.

highdesertranger
I've never used a propane lantern. Only the white gas/gasoline dual fuel type. I assumed they'd gulp fuel. I just looked on Coleman's website and their claims are pretty darn good on fuel usage IMO. 

Do you use a rubber hose? Or a distribution tree? I used a 2 section tree for my tent heater on my boat with the top section removed. I'm thinking of getting another tree to be ready for this winter.

I use both the "T" and the rubber hose. the lantern is mounted to the top of the "T" and the hose goes to a stove/oven combo. so the hose acts like a reservoir.

it funny you say that about the lanterns. I switched to propane because of the high cost of white gas. running the lantern off of propane was much, much cheaper. of course this was before the dual fuel models and Coleman fuel was quite expensive.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I use both the "T" and the rubber hose.  the lantern is mounted to the top of the "T" and the hose goes to a stove/oven combo.  so the hose acts like a reservoir.

it funny you say that about the lanterns.  I switched to propane because of the high cost of white gas.  running the lantern off of propane was much,  much cheaper.  of course this was before the dual fuel models and Coleman fuel was quite expensive.

highdesertranger

That's what I figured. Yeah I've always liked the distribution tree concept at it gives 3 connections and a secure base for the lantern. The one I had mounted to the tank to keep it secure and the top few feet were removable and that's where I put my heater. I'd wanted to use a hose as they were far cheaper but it had a leveling shutoff switch so mounting it would have been an issue with a hose. Maybe I need to get a lantern now. I take that back. I have used a propane one. I just remembered it was one of those knock off micro lanterns that my brother and I took night fishing once. The water snakes and garrs seemed to like the bright ass light. Lol

I have and use a Coleman Northstar propane lantern. I carry it in the case, and I'm still using the same mantle after probably 5 years. 

It's VERY bright on high, but you can throttle it down to very low and it sips propane on low and medium, especially with a 20# tank.

I have my one-burner connected to a 20# tank with a 6' hose. I sometimes use it for heat. The way my van is set up, the tank is closer to where I sit than the stove is, so I usually turn off the tank and let the fuel in the hose burn off. It takes a minute, maybe a little longer. I don't consider it waste because it's still heating the van. When I'm cooking, I'm at the stove (of course) and I turn it off first, then the tank whenever it's within reach. Sometimes, with the tank turned off, I turn the stove on for a second or two to relieve some of the pressure in the hose. It makes it easier to disconnect and reconnect the hose.

Texas I have the Northstar too. it is very bright on high. I do go through some mantels because of the off road driving I do. the mantels are a little hard to find especially in the boonies so I always keep a few extra on hand. which reminds me I better get a few. highdesertranger

Yep, the Northstar is a nice reliable lantern. I keep an extra mantle and globe as spares. The 'optional' plastic case keeps it clean and damage free, at least in my situation.

It's kinda noisy on low before it warms up, so I run it on medium-high for several minutes, then switch it to low and it's fairly quiet.

I also use mine on the top fitting of a propane tree, it makes a nice area light, and if it's inside, it puts out some welcome heat in the winter. (yes I make sure there is ventilation).

tx2sturgis said:
Yep, the Northstar is a nice reliable lantern. I keep an extra mantle and globe as spares. The 'optional' plastic case keeps it clean and damage free, at least in my situation.

It's kinda noisy on low before it warms up, so I run it on medium-high for several minutes, then switch it to low and it's fairly quiet.

I also use mine on the top fitting of a propane tree, it makes a nice area light, and if it's inside, it puts out some welcome heat in the winter. (yes I make sure there is ventilation).

Damn I've never thought of using a lantern for heat. Seems like even if it did its job very well I'd still feel like I was sleeping under a heating lamp in a cage. I like to hibernate. Lots of dark.

My brothers main white gas lantern if he still has it (idk the model hes had it since the 70s or 80s I'm sure) he fitted a metal coffee can over the globe and cranked the top down and it has a cutout to aim the light in about a 80 degree angle or so. He used to use it to walk trails at deer camp or spot coons in the trees with his dogs back in the day. Beats the hell out of a flashlight. 

When I worked for the biggest retail chain in the world our sporting goods dept had trouble keeping mantles in stock. There was a ritzy golf course community nearby with natural gas street lights. Guess what kind of mantles they all used. Haha.

Just to be clear, I didn't say I slept with the lantern burning. Don't ever do that in a closed-in area, propane lanterns create carbon monoxide. 

Not to mention, the light from the lantern would (or should) be too bright for sleeping peacefully anyway.

But if you're using it for light in a tent or other living space, and you have good ventilation, then yes, it will provide some warmth.