Cold in Quartzsite

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not too far south of you, and we are having a warmer winter season so far. Usually the leaves fall off the plants by Christmas, but this year everything is still green & growing. I have flowers on my tomato plants too.
-crofter

Cold here at Alamo Lake, Az, which is nearby as well.

60° Here in Missouri yesterday ... and predicted to be around 14° tonight!
I am a bit surprised Quartzsite is so cold now - brrrrr!!!!

^ What Doug (Abnorm) said. Tonight it's supposed to drop down to 30f. Happy New Year and stay safe. Right now at 10:30 am it's about 55f w/ 17 mph winds but at least the sun is shining bright. I can deal with that :)

0° F this morning in Klamath falls. Snow and ice on the ground.

Snowed in today in Twin Falls and the high today is 15.
snowVan.png

30 F below zero this morning for me. No mosquitoes! No wood ticks either. :)

Well, could be worse -29 at home this morning. Had a guy plow a path to my LP tank so I could get it filled. He sounded pretty cold. Here in Quartzsite it was a bit windy and cool... but not terrible. Friend here says don’t be surprised if it’s 25 here in the morning. National weather service says warming up with little wind this week... 70 on Friday.

It will be a diificult night and early morning for the tent campers in the Quartzsite area, wind plus freezing cold. There are quite a lot more tents this year than I saw last winter. Many are not strong enough to hold up for the 30 mph gust we are getting this 1st day of January. Plus of course the expected low including the wind chill factor is expected to be 26 degrees at 5 am on January 2nd. I am fortunate that I have no water lines of any kind on the exterior of my travel trailer. Of course it is not going to be at the freezing level for very many hours. But now that the sun has almost set I will turn on my heater for a while.

Last edited:
30 F below zero this morning for me. No mosquitoes! No wood ticks either. :)

Are you living in your vehicle at -30° F? I'm in my step van with 2 inches of polyiso on all 6 sides. Tonight will be -1° F, but the van inside will be 68-70° F because of the good insulation and the Propex vented heater. A 73° difference between inside and outside is good in my book.

JanaBanana... I’m from northern Minnesota... where are you seeing those temps?
Today was a tough day in Quartzsite wind wise... hope it settles down as it seems to be. Can’t believe they’d be doing fireworks if it isn’t. Tenters definitely have been tested a couple times in the last few weeks.

JanaBanana... I’m from northern Minnesota... where are you seeing those temps?
Today was a tough day in Quartzsite wind wise... hope it settles down as it seems to be. Can’t believe they’d be doing fireworks if it isn’t. Tenters definitely have been tested a couple times in the last few weeks.
I'm in Minnesota, you betcha, as well. Not quite the northern area but close. It is 33 below this morning.

Quartzsite was at 28* this sunrise........Too cold for my usual short pants.......Bib overalls to the rescue !

JacqueG is on her way to start rebuilding the "stole van"

I was going to stay at Indian Bread Rocks near Bowie, AZ for a couple of nights but saw the temps that were going to be there so pressed on for Tucson since it would at least be above freezing right now before heading to Quartzsite. Hanging here for a couple of days then onward west slowly making it to the Q.

Yuma lows around 40 degrees this week so far. In case anyone needs to travel south.
-crofter
Well thermometer has dipped! 39 degrees is now expected as the low at Yuma so there could be frost after all. Bundle up!
-crofter