Cold Hammock

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsallysmom

Reaction score
Took my new hammock up into the mountains and tied it between two trees with my tie down straps.  Wasn't long at all before I had to put on heavy clothes.  Just sucked the heat right out of me.  What do y'all put between your back and the hammock?

bigsallysmom said:
Took my new hammock up into the mountains and tied it between two trees with my tie down straps.  Wasn't long at all before I had to put on heavy clothes.  Just sucked the heat right out of me.  What do y'all put between your back and the hammock?

Google "underquilt".  In 2008 I hiked the Appalachian Trail using a hammock tent with underquilt during the first few cold months.  Toasty...

Jerry from Brooklyn

Underquilts go beneath the hammock. You need them underneath to keep the air space necessary for insulation. Anything on top of the hammock will get compressed and be less effective as insulation. You could have something on top of the hammock for comfort if needed in addition to the underquilt. If it's really cold a hammock tent in addition to the underquilt (& sleeping bag/blankets) would help.

You can rig an underquilt by taking strong clips and attaching a blanket, comforter or sleeping bag to the underside of your hammock. You want it to fit pretty snugly beneath the hammock.

bigsallysmom said:

Actually, the best thing to do is put something between the hammock and the cold air.

Some people use an insulated, partially inflated air pad which works best if you've got a double layer hammock.

I use an underquilt that is hung underneath the hammock and tightened so it doesn't have an air gap between the hammock and the underquilt.

If you're interested in getting more and better use out of your hammock head on over to hammockforums.net

You can watch a video of one of our members using her hammock and under-quilt in a Toyota Previa minivan. See  it here

[video=youtube] it here

The foam pad goes between you and the hammock's nylon material. My hammock has a double layer that forms a pocket that keeps the foam pad from sliding around. The underqult is supended under the hammock on the outside. I didn't go extreme on either regarding weight and thickness. I've used one or the other or both at the same time depending on the temperatures.

Search for Shug on YouTube regarding hammock camping in the cold. You will be entertained.

Jacks R Better makes a summer weight blanket that's great by itself or used with a sleeping bag. It has a footbox to slide your feet into. If you subscribe to their newsletter, they will let you when they have them on sale. You could sew a footbox into a lightweight fleece blank yourself if you're handy.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/quilt-liner-summer-blanket/

If you can get a piece of foam rubber the length and width of the hammock a couple of inches thick it may take care of the problem.    You'll have to roll it up tight to transport it but it will work in a hammock or on a cot when it's cold.

^^
Watched the Jacks r Better video. I definitely like the extra section for the feet to stop that pinched feeling.