Class A Boondocking in Leadville

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vern, is that the Rochford Rd in the Black Hills of South Dakota? I know it's just an example screen grab but the name Rochford rang a bell for me.

If it is I believe I've been on that road...on some stretches of that road its an ATV super highway. But yep, lots of places to camp.

Thanks Vern... I suggest you make a new thread with those posts as a FYI /FAQ on USFS Maps... it'll get lost in here..

Vern, is that the Rochford Rd in the Black Hills of South Dakota? I know it's just an example screen grab but the name Rochford rang a bell for me.

If it is I believe I've been on that road...on some stretches of that road its an ATV super highway. But yep, lots of places to camp.
Yes, you are right. It is where I was at the time and had just scouted for possibilities.

Today, after a blissfully quiet weekend that kept the ATV crowd home, we were treated to someone with a high powered rifle doing some target practice in the campground.

Over the last week I have picked up the pieces of dozens of bottles used for target practice.

I am appalled by the behavior of the locals, but I am not all that surprised.

Dispersed camping on Halfmoon Road is not recommended by me... While it might have once been a good place to disp.camp I would avoid it.

I will not be coming back to the Leadville area.

I would be upset if I drove to a campsite and set up my tent, etc. Then found out ATV's and/or guns were nearby. Same goes for loud boats.

Do we mostly learn from trial and error? And forums like this? Eg. Ask in the forum in advance if an area is quiet?

There is an easy solution. The NFS needs to designate areas for some activities.. if there is camping, ATVs must be run at idle and guns are not allowed..... with the millions of acres of land why do the ATV and guns need to be in the camping areas. There is more than enough room to designate separate camping, ATV and Gun areas...

My experience is that the ATV and Gun folk represent a very small percentage of the people using this area, yet the lord over everyone else with their noise and dust...

There is an easy solution. The NFS needs to designate areas for some activities.....
The NFS already has rules on dispersed camping, shooting and ATV use. The problem is enforcement (manpower) and common curtesy (which is not very common).

As to designated areas, that is the direction BLM and NFS are heading. Alabama Hills (BLM) is one example:
"Soon a permit will be required to dispersed camp in the Alabama Hills. The permit will be free and will be an acknowledgement that you understand the rules and guidance for dispersed camping. The permit will be found online or at the information kiosks. The permit will not be a reservation of a site.​
Additional changes in the next year [2022] will be further delineation of areas where camping is permitted. Eventually, camping will be limited to sites identified with a campsite marker"​

As to designated areas, that is the direction BLM and NFS are heading.

I think @RvNaut's idea was to limit UTV use and shooting to permitted areas, although I am not surprised the restriction is on dispersed camping. Locals are the majority of UTV/shooters, and the locals would hammer the ranger's phone and public meetings if they were constrained in any way. A kind of reverse NIMBY problem (I want to recreate Only In My Back Yard).

I understand what RvNaut was saying. I don't think there is 'an easy solution'. Too many stakeholders, too many traditional behaviors, lots of money at stake. In an 'its all about me' culture.

My experience is that the ATV and Gun folk represent a very small percentage of the people using this area .....
I think the opposite is true:

OHV:
is a very large group. Add in the manufacturers and riding organizations, you have well funded, vocal group that will turn out to meetings. They also tend to spend money locally.​
Guns:
Hunters are the largest group here that would object to more restrictions. And the state and local governments have an economic stake in keeping shooting open.​

These groups are large, organized, politically active, have local representation, are well funded, And many shooters and riders also boondock and would object to added restrictions.

IMHO I do not think that further restrictions are in nomads best interest.

Let me be clear.... Of the 100 people camping in the dispersed are, 95% were just camping and 5% were camping with ATVs and making life hell for everyone else... and yes, enforcement is the issue.. so rather than having to enforce, just outlaw ATVs in some areas, so that people that do not want to eat dust and watch asshole do donuts and create a nuisance. Give them their own area to go nuts in.. take the land that is there are portion it.

As for guns.. does anyone really need to be firing off a gun near any camping?? Really.....???

There are millions of acres to share, why must those that want peace have to share it with those that want nothing more than to raise hell.

Unfortunately many National Recreation Areas are run by the National Park Service whose officially stated mission is to “preserve and protect the resource”! Sort of ironic to put people in charge of areas that were to be “used and abused” by motor boaters, shooters and off road enthusiasts don’t you think? No guns were allowed for many years and even now there are few if any managed ranges in these recreational areas. No developed off road trails in most of these areas and many have been closed. No unlicensed vehicles allowed in most. BLM land is one of the few places they can go and don’t forget how many disabled/handicapped people there are especially former service members that deserve access by electric bicycles and scooters, ATVs, UTVs and specialty vehicles. Living on BLM land is prohibited and illegal don’t forget. Campers are only a small part of the people that use public lands and since they are only there for no more than 14 days and usually locals there for a weekend that know from experience where they can go for undisturbed camping or wild ATV behavior you should check with both local camping clubs and ATV organizations web sites if possible before planning a stay. If nothing else call the district ranger station or ask a law enforcement ranger, especially in the west many places it is still the “Wild West”! If you want lots of enforced rules pay to stay in a National Recreation Area or National Park.