Chrysler Pacifica hybrid

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini_HHR2

Reaction score
Is anyone else traveling in this vehicle? I don’t want to do anything permanent to the vehicle. I like that it has a built in inverter and that I can sleep sideways (I’m short.) it’s also comfortable. Second row seats aren’t stow and go but a good place for dog seat and hangout space.  It’s a big upgrade from the chevy hhr!

I test drove one at the Anaheim Auto Show last fall. Overall, I liked it.

Looking down the road a few years when I'm finally ready to put my Kia Soul out to pasture, the Pacifica hybrid, might be a good balance between my need for a good commuter vehicle and my desire for a little more room than I have now when I'm on the road. I think it has a lot of potential as road trip vehicle.

There are, of course, a few things I don't like. Foremost among those is the price tag. $40,000 grand for the bottom end new vehicle, not sure about used prices though. Part of the problem here is that the hybrid is only available in the higher end trim levels. Personally, I neither need, nor want most of those top end features. I'd much rather have a stripped down version. The Pacifica doesn't have much in the way of ground clearance, somewhere in the vicinity of 4-1/2 inches if I remember correctly. My Soul has 6-1/2 inches and that's too little for a few roads I've encountered. Finally, (and this is a gripe I have about the vast majority of modern vehicles) it's not available with a manual transmission. In fact, as far as I'm aware, there's not a single hybrid available in a manual. This is simply a matter of preference; I like driving a stick shift.

Still, the idea of a much roomier vehicle than the one I drive now with better gas mileage is very tempting. I'll look at the Pacifica Hybrid a little more seriously when it has a longer history and when my Soul is closer to the grave than it is now.

I looked into this vehicle as well because the combined city/highway MPG (30MPG for gas-only) is so appealing!

A local dealer was offering the 2018 Touring Plus for $35k (new), so if you subtract $7.5k federal and $1.5k state tax credit, this being a PHEV, you end up with a vehicle (assuming you're currently paying income taxes) that's net cheaper than a Rav4 Hybrid! Obviously a Pacifica minivan affords much more room.

The middle-row seats weigh about 55lbs each, so they can be removed for weekend trips, if you're planning to use it as a daily commuter as well. I saw one minivan conversion whereby they kept the 3rd row bench seat, and used it for seating (work/eat) during the day, and then used a fold-out bed spanning the front and 3rd row seats for a bed at night (need to move front seats forward) -- alas, I'm too tall for that to work.

The biggest problem I see with this van is the 5.1" ground clearance -- that's scary low if you are the type to go boondocking.

I have a 2018 hybrid Pacifica, purchased in October of last year.  I love it.  Had a 2017 Ford Expedition XL before this and can't believe how much more useable room the van has. It is so quiet I don't even have to turn up the radio when we hit the highway.
I have fueled 4 times since October, I refuel when it gets to half a tank.
Total of 35 gallons for 5000 miles =143 miles per gallon. We have taken it camping a few times, two people and two Australian Shepherds.
We just use plastic garage shelves for the bed, that gives us a 4X6 foot bed with two feet left over and storage underneath. We also have an
awning that attaches to the roof rack. For us, who pack light, it works fine. For someone who travels solo, all sorts of room could be had.

Does it have the climate control feature like the Toyota's have where as you turn the vehicle to on and set the temperature and the vehicle starts automatically to charge up the battery and maintain the temp.?

Haven’t been on the forum in a long time. With Covid have been home for almost a year now other than two long weekend trips. I do most of my driving on the plug-in electric range. I would definitely recommend buying new if possible because those rebates (and tax credits) on top of a discount really add up. I did make a platform to level area when sleeping lengthwise. It gives me and at least one dog LOTS of room. Even in wet weather. I haven’t used any of the infotainment system, could have done without that. Overall (other than recall service) very happy with my Pacifica. Yes clearance is bad and might be a problem Boondocking. If I plan to go far off pavement would probably switch cars and go in 2013 pathfinder even though less comfortable.

2aussiecopilots said:
I have a 2018 hybrid Pacifica, purchased in October of last year.  I love it.  Had a 2017 Ford Expedition XL before this and can't believe how much more useable room the van has. It is so quiet I don't even have to turn up the radio when we hit the highway.
I have fueled 4 times since October, I refuel when it gets to half a tank.
Total of 35 gallons for 5000 miles =143 miles per gallon. We have taken it camping a few times, two people and two Australian Shepherds.
We just use plastic garage shelves for the bed, that gives us a 4X6 foot bed with two feet left over and storage underneath. We also have an
awning that attaches to the roof rack. For us, who pack light, it works fine. For someone who travels solo, all sorts of room could be had.
WOW! 143 mpg? I am looking to purchase a Pacifica- deciding between new/used Hybrid or Gas. Your comment is mind-blowing. They claim 84 mpg. Did you do any modifications to achieve it? Also, have you used the AC all night long while camping? Is the Pacifica similar to Prius- does it come on automatically?

Thanks- for any info/ hacks you can offer. Appreciate it.

WOW! 143 mpg? I am looking to purchase a Pacifica- deciding between new/used Hybrid or Gas. Your comment is mind-blowing. They claim 84 mpg. Did you do any modifications to achieve it? Also, have you used the AC all night long while camping? Is the Pacifica similar to Prius- does it come on automatically?

Thanks- for any info/ hacks you can offer. Appreciate it.
I mostly drove in town so on all electric. 10 gallons of gas would last 4-5 months. I used the heated seats and heated steering wheel in the winter instead of turning up the heat. Funny using the AC had no effect on the battery range but the heater sucked it down. Only camped in Oregon with it so parking in the shade and using a small fan kept it comfortable. For the past three years the overall average mph was 126. The past year I went out of town every week, so the mileage dropped.

When I did drive all day on the freeway on gas the mileage was 36. The Prius is very different, my husband had a Prius Prime plug-in. The fit and finish on the Chrysler was quite a bit better than on the Toyota.

I traded in my Pacifica for a Sprinter in October. I miss the fuel economy and smooth quiet ride. But since I am now a full-timer I needed to be able to stand up and have more space. Mercedes sold the Pacifica to another dealer and they want $2000 more than what I bought it brand new for, crazy.

I recommend getting the hybrid. It has a different transmission than the gas--one gear no shifting. No annoying shutting off at every stoplight. Brakes last much longer, after three years mine were still at 98% due to regenerative braking. The Pacifica Limited Hybrid is a very nice van with tons of power.

Any other question just let me know.