Choosing Something Fun

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaglypto

Reaction score
I have enjoyed the "nomad" life most of my life, even though most of my life has been inside a structure with a concrete foundation rather than a rubber foundation. I am 68 now, and about four years ago I decided to make good on a promise I made my wife when we married, that being, "There are going to be times when I just need to get out, get away from you and others, just to be by myself." Not much "nomading" happened in the thirty or so years that followed until while recovering from both ankles getting surgery, which also eventually led to me being rated 100% disabled for purposes of employment, though I still walk and explore on foot somewhat. The last four years, I have been mostly exploring parts of Oregon I had never been to before. Last year I traveled to Utah, loved it and plan on returning. My motto for nomad/boondock/exploring, "Everything Will Kill You, So Choose Something Fun".

Welcome to the VL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you

I will be hitting the road in June. My wife does not share my desire to travel in a van, she is more of a hotel/motel kind of person. So I will be traveling solo. There is just something peaceful about traveling by yourself, do as you please when you please, and there is a sense of calm relaxation.

I love this. You have no idea how it resonates with me right now. Thanks, and keep on having fun out there!
Another quip I try to live by, "Keep challenging yourself, but don't be stupid, know your limitations." <<< This is also called "getting experience" thus the six ankle surgeries.

I will be hitting the road in June. My wife does not share my desire to travel in a van, she is more of a hotel/motel kind of person. So I will be traveling solo. There is just something peaceful about traveling by yourself, do as you please when you please, and there is a sense of calm relaxation.
I can relate, my wife is the same way, and would rather read books in the comfort of a chair than go on photo walks and exploring. I also agree about the traveling by yourself, and following whatever whims that happen to present themselvesI "discovered" Virgin Valley Campground in the Sheldon Wildlife Refuge in Nevada that way, just looking for a place to spend the night, and I found a wonderful camground with a large warm (about 85) soaking pool and a bath house. You will find treasures like that on your own as well , and you will want to return. Consider getting a Garmin Inreach so you can continue sending notifications you are still alive, it. That solved the problem of my wife freaking out if she didnt hear from me every 24 hours. :)

I heard of a couple that took separate vacations. He liked to be a hobo and ride freight trains. When people asked where he was, she would tell them he was on a train trip, and it was not her personal thing, so she sent him alone. People just assumed he was on the inside of a train.
Sounds fascinating and fun, but I am too far gone to be trying to chase down and board trains. :)

Consider getting a Garmin Inreach so you can continue sending notifications you are still alive, it. That solved the problem of my wife freaking out if she didnt hear from me every 24 hours. :)

I already have something similar in place. Our phones allow her to track me as I travel. It's like she is sitting next to me. She followed me this way when I was traveling throughout Wyoming last June. I was traveling through Jackson Hole and drove under an arch way that spanned over the road that was made of antlers. I was barely a block past this when I got a text asking me what I just passed under. I took a picture while I was about to pass under it, and sent it to her.

I'm the roaming type as well. One of these days I'll crank up my 27' Class C and go where the roads take me. I plan to take my caricature easel, all my markers, and paper and stop along the way and make gas money drawing caricatures.

My class C sleep 8 of which I don't want more than the wife, dogs, cats, and parakeets in it if we both hit the road.

By that time, I'll probably have a much nicer rig because I want to sell my house and hit the road. I'm on the hunt for a trailer that I can put my Jeep on that also has like a tac room on the front (horse trailer kinda thing) so I can carry my tool box and plenty of things from my shop to keep me busy.

I buy 2 stroke chainsaws, leaf blowers, and weed eaters at yard sales and have taught myself how to repair them (I'd love to take an actual course like Foley Belsaw used to offer), then I sell them for at least twice what I pay for them..

There never seems to be enough time to do the things you wanna do once you find them. Jim Croce sang those words in Time in a Bottle. That's how I roll..