Chipmunks & Wiring

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WanderingRose

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had a Renogy solar suitcase for 3+ years and have used it extensively without issue.

Until last month, when chipmunks in Wyoming completely ate this section of wiring and were working on several other spots when I interrupted their activities.

When I was able to get Renogy customer service on the phone, they were extremely helpful.

With this photo and the numbers, etc., from the panel itself, they quickly identified what replacement parts I needed.

The parts were very reasonably priced and Renogy shipped them to me for free.

I was fortunate to be camping near a man familiar with solar and wiring, in particular, who repaired this for me in a matter of minutes.

I have camped and used my solar suitcase around many chipmunks in the past, and never had wiring bothered, but my next trip West may include a can of pepper spray for my wires.

Attachments

• C23DFDB1-7ABA-4C05-820A-B7F06613DECE.jpeg
    C23DFDB1-7ABA-4C05-820A-B7F06613DECE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Can use insect repellent. Spray on a rag & wipe it around ur wires & anything else u don’t want disturbed by whaverz arownd.
Jonny boi never had a prolum with rodents or bears.
ain’t sayin……..jus sayin

Had a recent rat chewing a wire issue. I talked to the service people about pepper coated wires. They cautioned me if you ever handle such wires you must be extremely cautious and always wear disposable gloves and never touch your face or bare skin. Also the pepper can rub off on surfaces and you can touch those and then transfer it possibly into your eyes if you rub them.

Do you weigh out the real inconvenience you will get when always having pepper solution on portable system wires versus the frequency of risk for getting it chewed by a creature.

The mechanics at the place I took my car said they hate working on cars that have pepper containing coatings. Because way too many times it has caused them skin and burning eye contact issues.

Forums are great but way too many times the ideas such as pepperspray on wires do not contain the hazardous to the user consequences. You really will need to think this through as an informed decision before you decide on pepper spray. The spray can also get into your eyes and of course on your hands while applying it if there is any wind drift. You will need to reapply it after rain washes it off as it is water soluble.

My personal choice is that as a deterrent it is not worth the hassle of "suiting up" to avoid contact for something I would frequently handle.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info about pepper spray, and may look at the protective wire wrap idea.

If they consumed the coating and copper wires, tho, might they not also consume the wire wrap?

I also thought about the garlic spray I keep at home for the occasional feral cat that likes to use the beds around my home for a litter box.

Don’t know whether that would repell determined chipmunks, but it might.

I install and repair a lot of MC4 connectors

In a properly made-up connector there is NO inside wire available to be seen

That one came apart.....the gland on the MC4 unscrewed .....the outer jacket moved.........allowing the inside wire to be exposed

You can see the rubber bushing on the outer jacket.....it's missing a 90* edge that makes the connector waterproof.....It pulled right thru......the red wire/insulation should be the same length as the outer jacket.............

Chipmunk wanted those tasty wires

ADD: Online those MC4 connectors are about $5 a 4-piece set........I hope Renogy was kind

These pieces you see were completely intact when I hooked up the panel that day.

The chipmunks appear to have eaten one entire section of wiring and coating, and were working on the second.

The parts were very inexpensive, and then Renogy shipped them for free.

I have chipmunks near my home, as well, and have seen them around my vehicle.

I’m going to spray the garlic deer & cat repellent in their holes when I get home.

Time for them to relocate.

The rorective wrap shown in the reply above is often referred to as " split loom" it is sold in pretty much every hardware store. Handy for helping in routing groups of wires inside your van. The splt lets a wire easily exit out of the group to fixtures such as lights, plug recepicles, fridge, fan etc.

The issue with using it outside is that split. It will get dirt and water inside and insects such as ants and spiders. Perhaps even small scorpions.. Not what you want when you coil it up for storage in your vehicle. You would be creating a daily issue instead of solving an infequent issue.

Last edited:
Go to the aisle in the hardware store where they sell outdoor extension cords. Look for the plastic shell cases you snap over the end of the cord that is meant to keep what you plug into the extension from coming unplugged such as a power tool, electric lawn mower etc. That will give those MC4 connectors extra protection from squirrel attacks, another layer of a nut shell. That is why they are attracted to chew on those connector cases, they are thinking there is tasty nut meat inside of them. So they crack them open.

As those extension cord end cases case snap or screw on you can still remove them to disconnect the MC4 if you need to.

Another idea, might be to take peppermint essential oil & water in a spray bottle. This can be sprayed around wires, on the ground under your vehicle, and in the engine compartment, to repell any unwanted guests.

Thanks for the info about pepper spray, and may look at the protective wire wrap idea.

If they consumed the coating and copper wires, tho, might they not also consume the wire wrap?
Yes, they may just eat that too but there would be more surface area to hold more of whatever repellent you sprayed on it. It could also slow them down a bit so you'd have more of a chance to catch the little buggers before they had a chance to cause damage to the wires.

The link goes to the 3/8" size which might be too big but the 1/4" size should fit snugly on the typical solar hookup wire. In muddy conditions it wouldn't be so easy to wipe off, so probably not a great idea :)

Tractor supply has a whole section of rodent repellent products. The squirrels are in the classification of rodent. So what repels rats and mice also repels them. They also sell live traps in case you want to relocate the creature.

Or you can get a "rat terrier" for a pest controling canine companion. Rodents typically avoid canine urine marked areas. Which makes me wonder why campers get so upset if someone's dog pees on their front tires...just joking of course. But if you want to encourage your own dog to do that on your vehicle, and it works, let us know.

My solution if I had a chipmunk problem at a camp would be get in my vehicle, turn the key and move to a new campsite.

Well, I couldn’t up and leave at this particular place, as I had a two week volunteer commitment, but I have to say these were the most determined chipmunks I have ever encountered.

And thank you, Spiff.

How long is the exposed wire?

The quick and simple way to do it is get some PVC pipe that the connectors will fit through. Cut it the length of the cable. If it connects in the middle, you can cut the pipe where needed and get a coupler. Cheap, simple, lightweight and is white so it doesn't attract heat. Total cost might be $5 with some pipe left over.

U429-015 11/2 COUPLING https://a.co/d/au6ayGN

Last edited: