Chevy Express Swivel Seats

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamooreindy

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can purchase the hardware to convert my driver and passenger seat to swivel? It's for a 2019 Chevy Express Passenger Van 2500 LS swb. Thank you.

I really wanted to convert my seats to swivel, to increase living space, and was researching how-to videos for it, but then considered the issue of insulating the living space along with the labor and expense to switch the seats. What's the point in insulation if the living space includes all the window areas? Do you think having the swivel seats is worth giving up the temperature maintenance? Is covering windows with something going to be at least as good as a wall between cab and cargo space? If I decided to change the seats, I think I would also skip some of the insulation (mostly for practicality, but doing less insulation would mean more money to change the seats).

I have a Chevy Astro and am on an Astro specific forum.
Another member there is making swivel seat bases that will retain the factory height, which many solutions raise the height.
Good if you're of average to shorter height, not so good if you're tall.

Ideally you'd want to find some from another Chevy/GMC van so in theory everything bolts up and no seat adapters are needed.
Also I've seen a lot of buzzwords flying around about swivel seats like DOT and approved and I want to say I've seen not recommended for driver's seats.

Some conversion vans came with them so you may be able to find them there.

Any who, I want to get one for my passenger seat to flip around for sort of a recliner/reading nook.
I'll ask the guy making the swivel bases if he knows fitment of Express vans.

Not cheap though, about $350ish apiece. They're CAD designed and CNC cut, formed, and machined.
Sorry, I should say he's in the process of making them, he's finalized design and sent files off to the machinists.
Capture.JPG
Here's the thread if you want to check it out:
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=144642

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 24
initially i looked at swivel seats for my gmc 3500... and really cringed at the price... i really wanted one... but i saw vids of people just turning the be seat around.

i checked underneath and much to my surprise the seats are simply attached to their base by 4 bolts.

it takes 5 minutes tops to turn the seat around and rebolt.

I use the space between seats and i dont think there would be room for it to spin without me clearing stuff first.  The only time i need to turn it back to the front is with a passenger along.

maybe yours can be flipped easily?.. mine is older without all the electrical so...

Here's the pic for the Astro/Safari bracket awaiting locking levers. Chevy Express model coming as well.
If your interested, pm me and I'll pass along his email addy to you.
file.php

Installed Shop4Seats '16Express  DOT approved swivel, 3 issue's I dealt with. 
1. Raises seat 1 5/8in it will spin but just clears the side air bag & my '5 nothing sweet complained it raised her to high,
Remedy -  cut ''1 5/8 out of the middle of the base & weld back together
2.  Seat & Seatbelt wires.
Remedy -  Splice in a 10in 4 wire pigtail
3. Swivel latch sticks front (leg scraper) to far.
Remedy -  cut 3in off & bend it into a J
You have to open the door to spin the seat (once spun close the door)
Would I doo it again --  YES

Attachments

• Resized_20200321_131324.jpeg
    Resized_20200321_131324.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Resized_20191104_102928.jpeg
    Resized_20191104_102928.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 8
  • Resized_20200321_131019.jpeg
    Resized_20200321_131019.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Resized_20200321_131007.jpeg
    Resized_20200321_131007.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 4
I called Shop for Seats to see if the swivel was in stock..... the guy said no and it would be shipped on JUNE 10th. No thanks.

Here's a preview vid w/locking mechanism. If you're interested, PM me for contact info.
[video=youtube]

dang Todo that's one fine swivel. looks like it's built real well. doesn't that fit the full size vans too? I can't see GM using 2 different seat patterns for their vans. highdesertranger

I think I'll just turn my passenger seat around, too. Much cheaper than $200 plus per swivel base!!