Chevy Express Rear Differential Info

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've looked at Yukon, Eaton(Detroit Locker) and Powertrax. Yukon seems to only have a L/S kit, but no locker for my diff. When I thought I had a different diff, I seem to remember their locker being for racing only. I like the Powertrax No-Slip for it's claim of being for a daily driver.

Here's the thing. Here in Washington D.C., we don't get much snow. But it can happen. We've been light so far(snow is in tomorrows forecast). The 1 to 1.5 we've had twice so far this year has been eye opening. I enjoyed AWD until last July, when I traded it for my Express. Our first snow made it troublesome to get out of my driveway(in the back of my house). The second snow, I was smart, and left it out front(on the top of the hill). Going from AWD to one wheel drive was disappointing at best. It is why I've assumed this quest (the snow, and the whole slippery boat ramp thing).

That being said, Da Wife has an AWD Equinox. And while it is scheduled for replacement soon, if I have any say in it, it will be another AWD. (HEY, it could happen!!)

All of the rear differentials available are all more than up to the task.
The Express 3500 usually got the 10.5" full floating corporate 14 bolt. It was used from 1999 to 2015 in the 3500s.
Check the build code sticker inside of the glove box door.  Look for one that says G80 which tells you that it has the G80 locker. Mine has almost 300,000 miles on it and shows no signs of wearing out. People will tell you the G80 locker is crap. It is overkill for a van if anything.

Terry(Ratfink56) ran my VIN (dealer), and told me I have the 9.5. And the RPO sticker showed no G80, which is not available with the 9.5 anyways. I had researched this to death, and only had a mildly educated guess.

FYI, the G80 isn't a locker, it's a limited slip. And reviews say that it isn't that good of one. And at least for the 2016 Express, that sticker is on the passenger door.

highdesertranger said:
actually the 14 bolt has been used since 1973.  highdesertranger

Both the 9.5 and 10.5 are 14 bolt. As far as the aftermarket stuff goes, there seems to be two different 9.5s, with the change happening somewhere in the late 90s.  And according to these same application charts, the use of the 9.5 stopped around '13/'14, at least as far as the Express 3500 is concerned.  Which only added to my confusion.

Stanvan said:
Cortt, I had forgotten how much you said, so I went back to look.  You commented that you were surprised no one suggested a locker.  I think that may be that lockers are mostly geared (pun intended!!) towards racing and off road.  I chose what I want based on their application of "daily driver, and towing", exactly what I do.

Mr Noodly, I guess that's what the "S" stands for.  I noticed in my research the 60S and 70S, but nobody spelled it out, at least in the 6 or so charts I read.  Glad you found it.  Where did you find it?

I asked about an elocker - they are available but much, much more expensive.

An ELocker will be more, because of the "E" part. Electric and air lockers are always more money, and more labor to install. The No-Slip is about $200 less than a Truetrac.

I've read "lockers" increase tire wear.  I've read the entire thread but my brain is hurting a bit.  I assume a "locker" increases tire wear because when a locker joins both tires in the back to spin as one, when cornering the inside tire will scrub as has less distance to travel than the outside one?  How do the "kinda locker" options that are more civilized for a daily driver do with tire wear?  I fully realize my van will spend 99% of the time on pavement and easy dirt roads.... it'd be a shame to chew up tires for that 1% of the time.  Thanks.

I would think that would call for a vanilla limited slip option

Actually watching the youtube videos referenced in this thread, lead me to believe a Torsen differential will not affect tire wear noticeably and provide a very reliable and little to no service option differential that would work well for 99% of the time.

AntiGroundhogDay said:
I've read "lockers" increase tire wear.  I've read the entire thread but my brain is hurting a bit.  I assume a "locker" increases tire wear because when a locker joins both tires in the back to spin as one, when cornering the inside tire will scrub as has less distance to travel than the outside one?  How do the "kinda locker" options that are more civilized for a daily driver do with tire wear?  I fully realize my van will spend 99% of the time on pavement and easy dirt roads.... it'd be a shame to chew up tires for that 1% of the time.  Thanks.

A locker emulates a "spool" which lock an axle 100% of the time, and are designed for drag racing.  Lockers for street use have a ratcheting feature, so going around corners is done without dragging a tire.  I haven't gotten it yet, but the Powertrac No-Slip is supposed to have a quieter ratchet.

Took me three weeks and 34 Phone Calls to find an Express or Savana with G80 locking Diff, V14 External transmission oil cooler, and KC4 External Engine Oil Cooler. After watching fifteen videos about  the G80 i felt it was the #1 criteria in a van purchase for use in the back country. It outperforms 4WD in the right situaltion where the slippage is all on one side of the vehicle. It's a $325 dollar option versus thousands for 4WD.
Made appointment to drive 80 miles to check out the van on Tuesday(5/29/18). I wouldn't risk my life on getting stuck. The problem is if you are trying to buy a late model used van, most come from fleet situations where the G80 is not considered necessary. Some dealers here in the northeast order alll their vans this way but not much availability in late model used. The van I'm going to look at is a new 2017 with rebates and discounts of over $6,000. this puts it right in the competition with the pricing of fleet vehicles with 5K-30K miles.

I'm late to this thread so please excuse my tardiness. I recently purchased a 2015 Express 2500 having a GU6 RPO code. I confirmed this is a GM 9.5, 14 bolt, 33 spline axle shaft, semi-float (c-clip) rear end. This is the same 9.5 axle GM has used for quite a while.

I had the same issue trying to track down a TrueTrac for this van as the Eaton catalog only shows the GM Express van application up to 2013, hence no application data beyond. All the parts houses show the same. Why Eaton has not updated their application guides to reflect GM using this rear end beyond 2013 is anybodies guess.

Anyway the Detroit TrueTrac 914A538 will fit my 2015 GM axle. Every parts house will tell you the TruTrac is not available beyond 2013 because of Eaton's application guide.

My guess is AAM is supplying GM's 9.5 now so it must have led to the confusion (maybe).