Cheap moisture control

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odyssey

Reaction score
From a neat Pinterest post, or somewhere similar, but think it was a Facebook/Pinterest link.

Take an old pair of longer tube-type socks. Open one and fill with dry material, such as old newspapers, sawdust or kitty litter (I recommend the unscented crystal silica litter). Twist tight, knot and flip inside out. Then slip that tube sock into the other. Twist, tie, knot, tuck or embellish. Slip one under each front passenger seats in your van and forget about them. 

Really cuts down on that dreary interior fog, helps balance the ambient moisture and a great way to up cycle stuff you already have. If you like that perfumed stuff, keep a window slightly cracked!

I have heard of the kitty litter before. actually if you are using the silica based stuff couldn't you dry it out every so often just like you can do with the commercial dryers. highdesertranger

Sounds like an invitation to breed molds. If you used a silica base absorbent it would be better but then you might as well spend the buck on a damp trap at a dollar store.

highdesertranger said:
I have heard of the kitty litter before.  actually if you are using the silica based stuff couldn't you dry it out every so often just like you can do with the commercial dryers.  highdesertranger

That might extend the useful time. That takes frugality to a whole new level, thanks HDR.

Hippiechk said:
Sounds like an invitation to breed molds. If you used a silica base absorbent it would be better but then you might as well spend the buck on a damp trap at a dollar store.

Mold can breed just about anywhere, that's true. If you're allergic or particularly sensitive to molds, then try to stay in drier places and stay ventilated. As I said before, this is an easy way to up-cycle materials you likely already have on hand in a vandwelling situation. If they began to smell funky, or seemed saturated, stained or otherwise icky, then toss. 

Damp traps for a dollar- great find! I'm familiar with a product called DampRid, a plastic container with silica desiccant beads that draw moisture from the ambient air. I've seen them in the $5-10 range. Tip one over accidentally and try cleaning it up without a ShopVac in the dark after it spills on your bed - not recommended, TVOE.

Odyssey said:
Mold can breed just about anywhere, that's true. If you're allergic or particularly sensitive to molds, then try to stay in drier places and stay ventilated. As I said before, this is an easy way to up-cycle materials you likely already have on hand in a vandwelling situation. If they began to smell funky, or seemed saturated, stained or otherwise icky, then toss. 

Damp traps for a dollar- great find! I'm familiar with a product called DampRid, a plastic container with silica desiccant beads that draw moisture from the ambient air. I've seen them in the $5-10 range. Tip one over accidentally and try cleaning it up without a ShopVac in the dark after it spills on your bed - not recommended, TVOE.

None of the things you mentioned putting in that sock are anything but absorbent, they don't draw moisture like the damp traps that are at every dollar store, for the most part. They are small, holding a cup and a half at maximum capacity so hardly cause for anthing more than a small towel if you did clutz. You must be thinking of the much larger units intended for the damp basements of homes.

Not sure why you would have said large damp trap, with its hygroscopic wonder beads, on or near your bed? But since it's TVOE & we don't know you well yet...curious minds hereabouts?? *We like pictures*

As for mold!?!?! I don't know any vehicle dweller from cars through big A's that don't actually gasp at the mere idea!!! I live in the desert & was just yesterday talking to Willy about how we actually build natural mold retardants into our rigs. I favour boric acid...he uses TSP...

My input here: as for those Damp Rid brand "wonder beads," which draw moisture and drip into a container, those beads are simply calcium chloride. Calcium chloride is also used to spread on dirt roads in the summer (to draw moisture, thereby keeping dust down) and as ice melt in the winter. Super Melt brand is one example that is commonly available. It is much, much cheaper to buy calcium chloride as ice melt than as that damp rid stuff. Just put it in a sock with a bowl under it. Don't pay markup prices for the packaging.

I don't think $1.25 (CAD) is too much to pay for convenience. I save old socks to play tug with the dog!

Attachments

• IMG_20160717_195728.jpg
    IMG_20160717_195728.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 11