charging leisure batteries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Comer

Reaction score
[font=system-ui, -apple-system, system-ui,]I'm thinking about putting a isolator or something similar into my van as a way to charge my secondary battery. I would like to ask those who have the experience whether the device out there is reliable. I don't want to have trouble on the road.[/font]

Most people use a continuous duty solenoid (not a starting solenoid). Run a big (4Ga) cable from the alternator through the solenoid to you house battery with a 150 amp fuse at each end. Ground one side of the actuator and connect the other to a unused ignition switched position in the fuse box under the hood. It will charge every time you drive.

yes it's worth it. don't rely on it as your only charge source. use quality components. use a solenoid not an isolator. highdesertranger

New Comer said:
[font=system-ui, -apple-system, system-ui,]I'm thinking about putting a isolator or something similar into my van as a way to charge my secondary battery. I would like to ask those who have the experience whether the device out there is reliable. I don't want to have trouble on the road.[/font]

van is made to charge that starting battery now u want to charge a deep cycle battery with totally different charge setting. find a high dollar device maybe i would but not with a solenoid.

The van alternator has enough extra charging capacity to charge a house battery. Just don't idle the engine to charge it. The alternator needs airflow to cool it and this is provided br driving.

I have been using solenoids to charge house batteries since the 70's.

is it the perfect system? no
will it charge your battery to 100%? no, unless you drive 5-8 hours at highway speed.

the way I see it is, if you are going to be driving anyway you my as well take advantage of the power. what's wrong with that. like I said before don't rely on it as your only charge source.

highdesertranger

The key is not losing so much voltage in the wire run back there that ypure only seeing 5A. My van came wired with 8awg wire and when I finally got a DC amp clamp I was seeing like 13.4v @ 6 amps.

I left the 8awg and put another run of 4awg welding wire now I see about 15 amps generally.

It shouldnt be your only source buts its nice to have. I personally believe in having as many ways to charge as possible; solar, alternator, generator/converter.

Ive had plenty of alternators die on me. So if you have these other means it can save you a huge bill by hooking them to starter battery and limping into next town...for one example.

Idling an engine to charge your batteries will kill alternators from overheating. My van has almost 150K on the clock and still on the one I got with it. I never idle to charge though.

it might also depend on your alternator. My Honda Element has a small capacity alternator. It would cost a lot to get a larger capacity on custom made for it and then the fee for installation if I don't DIY that part. Plus of course the cost and labor to install a second solenoid or an isolator.

So I have put a solar panel on top of my car for that "leisure" battery charger and I also carry a small generator. The combined cost of those two items is less than purchasing and installing a larger alternator.

Elbear1 said:
The key is not losing so much voltage in the wire run back there that ypure only seeing 5A. My van came wired with 8awg wire and when I finally got a DC amp clamp I was seeing like 13.4v @ 6 amps.

I left the 8awg and put another run of 4awg welding wire now I see about 15 amps generally.

It shouldnt be your only source buts its nice to have. I personally believe in having as many ways to charge as possible; solar, alternator, generator/converter.

Ive had plenty of alternators die on me. So if you have these other means it can save you a huge bill by hooking them to starter battery and limping into next town...for one example.

Would you tell me the reasons your alternators died on you? I am afraid of having alternator problems while on the road.

maki2 said:
it might also depend on your alternator. My Honda Element has a small capacity alternator. It would cost a lot to get a larger capacity on custom made for it and then the fee for installation if I don't DIY that part. Plus of course the cost and labor to install a second solenoid or an isolator.

So I have put a solar panel on top of my car for that "leisure" battery charger and I also carry a small generator. The combined cost of those two items is less than purchasing and installing a larger alternator.

My van was built before 2006. I was told that the car built after 2006 have smaller alternator. Is that true? If it is, I guess my van shall have a better chance of charging the leisure battery without a problem. I intend to use DC DC charger anyway. Will this be a good idea?

New Comer said:

Like posted above, a continuous duty soleniod. Also there are voltage sensing relays which is what im leaning towards getting . they are more expensive and idk if there are really any advantages but they seem easier to hook up. Not that a solenoid is hard to.