Charge controller and inverter charger combo

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccowan81

Reaction score
Hi
I have a van with a solar30 charge controller. I want to replace the xantrex 1000 watt inverter with a xantrex xc 1000 watt inverter charger. I can’t find clear information on if there could be a charging conflict between these two systems, or any good wiring examples. Any comment are greatly appreciated.

Why not call the xantrex support? Since you're replacing one of their products with another, they'd be motivated to give you the info you need.

And in the best position to give you accurate help.

True. I have contacted them online for technical support twice and then tried online sales support. I haven’t tried to call yet. Seems like a general situation where Solar is backed up by shore power. Thanks for your reply!

there won't be any conflicts. The battery can have many charge inputs. If your using the xantrex to charge the battery and the solar controller is also charging, they both will be monitoring the battery voltage and one or the other will shutoff/float once the battery reaches the proper voltage.

Xantrex has a YouTube channel with videos on all their products. The answer to your questions might be there.

Last edited:
Hi
I have a van with a solar30 charge controller. I want to replace the xantrex 1000 watt inverter with a xantrex xc 1000 watt inverter charger. I can’t find clear information on if there could be a charging conflict between these two systems, or any good wiring examples. Any comment are greatly appreciated.
I did find a good wire diagram example at faroutride.com. A great resource for van building online.

Perhaps this video from the Xantrex YouTube channel may help you get at least part of the wiring sorted out. The approach is likely a bit different but they explain why they are doing it that way.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. Really appreciate the input. My van is simple on the ac side, thank goodness. I will just need a 30 amp breaker coming in from the shore power. I will only have one ac plug and xantrex has a gfi outlet box that plugs right into the inverter. It’s a good video though and for my van the compact system is important. My space is very limited. Thanks again for your input.

If I could figure out how to edit my last response I would. Double diagram is a mistake and meant to say “ best diagram for multi changing systems that I could find”

Do not lose sleep over it. It got the message across.

You’re like me, if one is good, two must be better! Lol!!!