[CDN] Coleman 150W Solar Panel - Take it or Leave it?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WanderingCanuck

Reaction score
This post discusses products for sale in Canada with Canadian prices.  I appreciate that the majority on this forum are Americans in the USA so if this is of no interest to you, please move along quietly.

As of right now, USD$ 1.00 --> CAD$ 1.29
---

I was informed of a sale on this product at Canadian Tire:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...2-v-crystalline-solar-panel-0112055p.html#srp

CAD$ 249.99, regular CAD$ $599.99 (Their regular prices are often inflated, and only included for completeness)

CAD$ 1.67/W for Coleman (Sunforce?)

Compare to the Renology 100W panel available from Amazon.ca (Canada):

https://www.amazon.ca/Renogy-Polycrystalline-Photovoltaic-Solar-Module/dp/B00DCCOSV0

CAD$ 169.99 with "free" shipping, list price $181.00 (This is probably a perma-sale)

CAD$ 1.70/W for Renology

I wasn't quite ready to purchase any solar but I'm wondering if this is a deal I shouldn't pass on.  If it's best I don't go off half-cocked on this one, please educate me (or direct me to educational resources) to inform my future shopping activities.

I also don't know about what dimensions will be best for me yet.  Maybe this is reason enough not to make a somewhat-impulse buy?

COSTCO right now has a 100 watt solar panel with charge controller for $159.99 with free shipping.

Coleman 100W Solar Panel With 8.5 AMP Charge Controller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dimensions are critical if you ever want to maximize watts up there.

As is watts per sq ft efficiency.

WC, that link took me to a Toronto store which leads me to believe you're in the GTA.

Have you thought about heading across the border for a weekend pleasure trip and picking up your solar panels there.

Check Kinekpoint.com for a close by pick up point at your choice of border entry locations.

First, solar is much cheaper in the US, second, you avoid the dreaded 13% sales tax on purchases.

As long as you are out of the country for 48 hours or more (they're precise on this, don't do 47 1/2 hours), there would be no duty or taxes. You're allowed $800.00 per PERSON tax and duty free for over 48 hours. Even with currency exchange you can save a boatload of money AND have a weekend away at the same time.

Even if you do choose to buy in Canada, I'd choose Renogy over an unknown Coleman panel any day of the week. Coleman manufactures absolutely nothing, everything is no name and branded under contract. It didn't use to be that way but it sure is now.

Ya, I was under no illusions they make the panels. It's part of the reason I was asking about it.

But it seems there are a lot of other issues with a knee-jerk purchase on these and I'm getting the feeling I should pass. :)

I'm not in Toronto, but not far from a few border crossings either. I like the idea of doing some cross-border shopping at some point in the future when I work out what I really want/need. I wasn't aware the duty/tax free amount was so high. It's been a long time since I was in the US. I need to get a passport or enhanced D/L before I do because I let me last one expire a while ago.

John61CT said:
Dimensions are critical if you ever want to maximize watts up there.

As is watts per sq ft efficiency.

I hadn't been considering that, but it makes sense. It's probably a more important metric than the price per watt even.

Add wiring to the list of things to get in the US. When I priced wire, I was on Amazon.com, found what I wanted but they wouldn't ship to Canada. Took the stock number and put it in to Amazon.ca. The same company, same wire, 5 times the price and no free shipping...total highway robbery.

Needless to say, I lived with an LED lantern, my headlamp and candles... :D until I hit stateside to do my wiring job.

I sucked it up and paid Cdn prices for reflectix, wood and the vinyl, screws, hardware etc. All else was cross border shopping. I knew I was saving money but it didn't hit me just how much until I had to put together an all Cdn price list for replacement insurance valuation once I moved to BC where I could get the van both titled and insured as an RV...holy shit batman. I saved thousands!!

Few of the online places manufacture anything, most rebrand including Renogy. Still it's a question of what they are rebranding and how well they will stand behind it.

The second thing is you don't buy solar just to have it. You buy solar to do something for you. What do you want out of it? Will 150 watts be enough? If not, how many 150 watt panels will it take? Will it or they fit on your roof?

Latest posts