Catalytic Heaters

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much spot on in all aspects. But the older Coleman catalytic heater started different. You turned them upside down until a wet spot appeared on the asbestos sheet inside the wire mesh. Turned it back over and started it up. I don’t recall but maybe start up was best done outside. That may have been my choice???
That is how one guy on youtube started his. He collects Coleman heaters.. Gotta start them outside, because the initial flame is 3-4 feet high.

Didn't know they were built with asbestos. Is that the part that some people refer to as the wick? The globe that the snuffer covers?
Take this with a grain of salt b/c this is a 50-year-old memory but….
….. that dome is a piece of asbestos between two pieces of wire mesh. There is likely a wick that carries the fuel up to that area, but the asbestos(non-flammable) is where the burning/combustion/oxidation takes place and it is coated/impregnated with black platinum or something similar.

That is how one guy on youtube started his. He collects Coleman heaters.. Gotta start them outside, because the initial flame is 3-4 feet high.
I don’t remember a flame that high and I think that would have made a lasting impression upon me. That is either an exaggeration or the result of too much fuel being used to start it. I seem to remember turning mine upside down and watching for some fuel to make a wet spot on the dome. Then light that spot.

(Batteries not included, actual mileage may vary.)

I don’t remember a flame that high and I think that would have made a lasting impression upon me. That is either an exaggeration or the result of too much fuel being used to start it. I seem to remember turning mine upside down and watching for some fuel to make a wet spot on the dome. Then light that spot.

(Batteries not included, actual mileage may vary.)
I don't remember big flames either. Every YT video I've watched on the heaters has huge flames and ppl comment about what could happen if you tried lighting indoors.

I impulsively ordered an Olympian Wave 3 Catalytic Heater, with cover and legs. Seems the carbon monoxide is not a problem but making sure to have adequate oxygen entering the space is a consideration. Also I'm wondering how well it would work at higher elevations?

Any experience with these, observations, tips, limitations, etc. appreciated. Thanks.
I have used a wave 3 for a couple years. I live at 7000 and travel to 9000. I leave the vans front window open a crack and the rear also - meaning an inch. Then run the heater on low. My caveat is not to leave it out in the rain. The fix is around $150

Well, it got down to 16 degrees where I camped last night. Had the Wave 3 on high, with front window opened a 1/2 inch and a roof vent open a crack. It didn’t seem to help warm up the interior of the van much. Was glad I had a down sleeping bag. I could feel it putting out some heat if I put my hand near it on the floor. But that didn’t seem to distribute any heat any further than a foot or so directly in front of the heater.

If your vehicle is insulated well, the Wave 3 on LOW should be enough to keep the interior around 50-60 degrees, but if there is minimal or zero insulation, or large expanses of single pane glass, you may find that you will need to run the heater on HI in really cold weather.

It is always a good idea to have and use a really good sleeping bag. Remember that the Wave heaters are radiant type, meaning you will feel the most heat right in front of them, but there is still a good amount of convection heat that is rising above the heater.

These heaters sip a tiny amount of fuel, so there will never be a huge blast of heat like the Buddy Heaters. Those will drain a 20# LP tank in a week or two in cold weather.

Also, be SURE to always provide some fresh air intake, which you have done.

Last but not least, a small 12v computer 'muffin' fan can help circulate the heated air inside your sleeping space.

^^^ Yes it is survivable in below freezing temperatures at night. It is comfortable in temperatures above 40 degrees at night and daytime temps 70 degrees or above mainly so you can dry out the interior and be outside during the day without bulky extra clothing. One of the main reasons I built a small well insulated trailer out of easily insulated materials with vents not windows was as a third way to sleep comfortably in the cold nights should I need to stay or get caught in cold weather. Living in a metal uninsulated van required me to plan and insure I was somewhere warm if all I had for backup warmth was a sleeping bag and a propane heater and I usually got caught somewhere cold often.

I insulted the entire van with thinsulate. No windows in the back and a thermal curtain separating the cab from the back. Also 16 degrees when I woke up this morning. I didn’t bother with the heater and instead kept the windows closed. Kept warmer than the night before with the heater.

Burning a unvented propane heater creates humidity. When humid air hits a colder surface it condensates and when it evaporates lowers the temperature. Your body does the same thing to a point, the reason windows fog up when you don’t ventilate the space. Insulation helps but it takes a lot as you must insulate all metal surfaces especially when you get below freezing. A vented propane heater or any “dry heat” source does a much better job of heating and in my opinion it is easier to have more dry heat than it is to insulate. One reason the vented diesel heaters have become so popular also the reason we stay in a full hookup site to use grid power to run an electric ceramic heater if we get caught in really cold weather.

Last edited: