cargo trailer wheels

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most common 5 lug pattern weather it's a 13",14" or 15" is what we call 5 on 4.5" it is the same pattern as ford ranger or other small ford pattern.should be able to to buy trailer wheel pretty easy tractor supply and northern tool usually keep in stock but usually only bias ply tires.I choose only to run radicals.and life of a trailer tire is 3-4 years anything past that your taking chances.the three biggest killers of trailer tires are
#1overweight
#2underinflated
#3over speeded most have a speed eating of 70 mph
These are what I see daily after changing a few thousand trailer tires lol

Almost There said:
Definitely need to be carrying a usable spare tire for the trailer.

They're rather like insurance, you hope you never need it but carry it anyways...

For the 2,100 mile trip to RTR, I'll be carrying 2 spares. Hopefully enough. Can get a flat spare fixed at the next over night stay. Insurance.

agrezy1 said:
the three biggest killers of trailer tires are
#1overweight
#2underinflated
#3over speeded most have a speed eating of 70 mph
These are what I see daily after changing a few thousand trailer tires lol

" ..after changing a few thousand trailer tires ".  Experience. 

Will be taking this, for insurance
20171002_090628.jpg
And these ( 3 pack, 30 minute flares, i can't change a tire in 15 minutes ), from experience changing a flat tire just on the blind down hill side, fast driver's ya know. Put the flare on the crest of the hill.
20171002_090923.jpg

Attachments

• 20171002_090628.jpg
    20171002_090628.jpg
    102.1 KB
  • 20171002_090923.jpg
    20171002_090923.jpg
    124.9 KB
blmkid said:
For the 2,100 mile trip to RTR, I'll be carrying 2 spares. Hopefully enough. Can get a flat spare fixed at the next over night stay. Insurance.

" ..after changing a few thousand trailer tires ".  Experience. 

Will be taking this, for insurance

And these ( 3 pack, 30 minute flares, i can't change a tire in 15 minutes ), from experience changing a flat tire just on the blind down hill side, fast driver's ya know. Put the flare on the crest of the hill.

I carry a full roadside safety kit in my van I do not like being a target for other drivers on the road

And while we are talking trailer tires the other issue I see all the time is bearing failures.due once a year or 10,000 miles very cheap insurance and don't get me started on the easy lube spindles that have grease zerk on end of axle.in my opinion 100% junk.

agrezy1 said:
And while we are talking trailer tires the other issue I see all the time is bearing failures.due once a year or 10,000 miles very cheap insurance and don't get me started on the easy lube spindles that have grease zerk on end of axle.in my opinion 100% junk.
I like the new axles so much easier to take care of and maintain nobody uses them or is not told how to use them I do keep a tire repair kit with me to and people do not read the owners manual on up keep on the trailer and safety . and they do not maintain there cars either

when should I change the axel grease on my cargo trailer I tend to learn by keeping notes and check lists to get things done I am very safety oriented when it comes to driving and towing a trailer that's why I ask questions to learn and take notes

a couple of things,

EZ Lube hubs are not meant to lube the wheel bearings. they are meant put the hub under positive pressure to keep water out. they are for boat trailers.

how often should you service your trailer bearings? that depends on the type of driving you do. if you are mainly on pavement once a year or every 10k should be fine. if mainly off road with lots of creek crossings 6 months or 5k. under extreme conditions even more often.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
a couple of things,

EZ Lube hubs are not meant to lube the wheel bearings.  they are meant put the hub under positive pressure to keep water out.  they are for boat trailers.

how often should you service your trailer bearings?  that depends on the type of driving you do.  if you are mainly on pavement once a year or every 10k should be fine.  if mainly off road with lots of creek crossings 6 months or 5k.  under extreme conditions even more often.

highdesertranger

learning is a good thing towed trailers owned 1 travel trailer and I did not tow it very much normally towed for friends now I only tow for my self

Dean and Buster said:
when should I change the axel grease on my cargo trailer I tend to learn by keeping notes and check lists to get things done I am very safety oriented when it comes to driving and towing a trailer that's why I ask questions to learn and take notes

Once a year or 10,000 miles which ever comes first.If it has brakes they should be inspected annually also and adjusted as needed do at the same time as bearing pack.I recommend doing bearing packs in the spring so you have good fresh grease for the summer months.but anytime is good.

Dean and Buster said:
learning is a good thing towed trailers owned 1 travel trailer and I did not tow it very much normally towed for friends now I only tow for my self

Highdesertranger I was referring to the greaseable spindles not ez lube hubs.Just to clarify lol

When I make my custom trailer I plan to use the same wheel and tire as my TV, one spare to rule them all, or double value from carrying two.

A tip you might consider is adding aftermarket pressure and temperature sensors (TPMS). Although not cheap, seeing a pressure drop or temp spike can allow for a safer hiway exit/pull off...before a blowout.

I had Dexter ez lube axles on my last trailer and it does indeed push out the old grease and replace it with new...in both bearings just like the video shows. I did the trick with different color grease (also like the video). However, after testing this, I still pulled and cleaned the bearings every two years in order to inspect them closely (greased em twice a year). I think I replaced all 4 sets at around 10 years....still looked and spun good. I'm a believer in Dexter's system to keep clean grease in the bearings. I should note however that my mileage was very low...racing season trips to tracks, a few camping trips and bluegrass festivals, etc.
Don't use my timeline for heavier use.
Here's the Dexter video:

[video=youtube]

I did make into a local home center and got a spare wheel and tire for $60.00 and the dealer wanted $150.oo for the same tire and wheel so I got a pair for a hundred and twenty dollars and the wheels do not match the ones on the trailer but a spare is a spare

Dean and Buster said:
I did make into a local home center and got a spare wheel and tire for $60.00 and the dealer wanted $150.oo for the same tire and wheel so I got a pair for a hundred and twenty dollars and the wheels do not match the ones on the trailer but a spare is a spare

Hey, I think you might need to consider of installing TPMS on your tires.

I also got one installed on mine, so far so good. Sometimes it feels a lot easier checking tire pressure and temperature without going down to all my tires manually. I installed a FOBO TPMS systems on my RV. The sensors are utilizing Bluetooth, so that theses is very helpful for me to get the reading directly to my smartphone.

I recommend it and let me know if you are interested on getting one.

Ps: I have a contact to get a good discount price for it. Maybe you want to try your luck? :p

hazwan said:
Hey, I think you might need to consider of installing TPMS on your tires.

I also got one installed on mine, so far so good. Sometimes it feels a lot easier checking tire pressure and temperature without going down to all my tires manually. I installed a FOBO TPMS systems on my RV. The sensors are utilizing Bluetooth, so that theses is very helpful for me to get the reading directly to my smartphone.

I recommend it and let me know if you are interested on getting one.

Ps: I have a contact to get a good discount price for it. Maybe you want to try your luck? :p
sounds interesting  I will look in to that