Cargo Trailer Advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or focus on sacrificing some size and features to get lighter.

Hard constraints can help with design creativity

I think I have an idea of what I'm looking for, or at least what the industry calls it...

8x20 aluminum deckover enclosed cargo trailer (length is still being decided)
Chassis can be steel if required (prefer aluminum, but only just)
Dual 6x5.5" 5200lbs solid axles (prefer Dexter)
Rear Liftdoor
Side Mandoor
Side escape door (maybe on both sides? If not too expensive...)
Electric Brakes all 4 wheels
Extra high roof
No interior except flooring
no insulation (I'll put in Polyiso)
no interior wiring, only signals (brake, turn, etc)
V-nose
Flat roof (single piece, no openings)
rivetless exterior
Welded shark cage interior wall frame structure
triple tongue
Roof Rack for solar
Welded attachment points to frame at various locations

Are you thinking custom, or do these exist OTS?

Very large profile facing the wind, slow going for safety, need the big truck, long trips will be *very* fuel-expensive and you'll be missing out on a lot of rough backcountry regions out west.

So why such high clearance, why not wheels-inside, lower CG?

All,that said, you'll be very comfortable.

I think they exist... I have seen some that are really close in Snowmobile trailers, but even then those are not quite right... I think i'm looking for the height of a toyhauler but empty...

I'd rather have the wheels tucked up inside a bit, but if I oversize tires on most low CG trailers I could wind up with rubbing problems. Though I have seen some trailers that are set up for oversized tires, but they tended to be smaller than I want and heavy with steel.

I like the weeroll companies construction, but they don't seem to make anything as big as I want, but I haven't called them to see if they can (or what it may cost...)

I'm also intrigued by some of the optional suspension systems I have seen, one that can be retrofit onto existing trailers that seems interesting is by adventure trailers and they can retrofit their system for about 2k. In addition that looks like it will allow raising and lowering of the trailer from the airbag suspension, and it would integrate a compressor so I don't have to carry a separate one. It also can be setup with the same bolt pattern as my truck, which is nice as well.

Time will tell what I end up with, there are so many different options and opinions. If I could get the single axle from adventure trailers  It would mean I wouldn't care so much about straight axles or the trailer being quite so high. There are some horse trailer suspensions that are air ride as well, which may serve my needs as well, but anytime you put boat, horse, offroad, i.e. anything fun the price goes a bit nuts...

OOh, OOH, OOOOH

I found something much closer to what I'm looking for!!!

It's called the ADAK outpost I want that without all the crap inside and I certainly don't need it armored... and out of aluminum! and like under 15k, lol

Dreams...

Contact Wells Cargo directly at one of their 4 manufacturing plants.

I don't know if they do it anymore but I believe they still do custom orders.

I ordered my 15' cargo trailer with the extra foot of height I wanted, the man door, side window, built in tank etc. etc. and got exactly what I wanted.

They are well made and tow exceptionally well. I'm on my second WC trailer now - it's 20 years old and other than tires and normal wheel bearing maintenance it's been trouble free.

You will have to wait for a custom built trailer but you get what you want that way.

This is close (at least size wise), and the price is low enough to consider modifying it. I could always replace the suspension with the adventure one (assuming they do dual axle) for another 3-4k :) Trailer is prolly not aluminum though. Never heard of SGAC trailer so, time for some research!

a word about the air bag suspension. air bags are great for supplemental support. but I would not rely on them as the only suspension on an off road vehicle. way to many things to go wrong. highdesertranger

Redbearded said:
I have pulled a drive thru snowmobile trailer like that hundreds of times.  Do yourself a favor and get anything else for off the main road use.

I thought I wanted 7x12 single axle to keep cost down and I don't need the capacity of the dual axel.  I was also thinking barn doors.  Someone pointed out that:

1) 7x14 is much more common - hauls two bikes with some left over space
2) Dual axle - you may not need it, but if you think you might ever sell this thing, consider dual.
3) Get the ramp on the back not the barn doors - again for resale.

Consider me persuaded. I just ordered a 7x14 dual axle - with 6" extra inches of height. It's a Continental Cargo. I'm 6'6"!

Good luck!