CARAVANS OCT 2021

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be checking them out in person this next week. Getting into the mid 30s at night here in the Arizona high elevations in Flagstaff and Grand Canyon. It is about 5.5 hour drive to Pahrump going at higway max Speedos. However I go slower as I tow so I plan to stop for the night perhaps in Ash Fork perhaps also in Kingman AZ and run an errand or two. Maybe stay overnight at Cracker Barrel; I have never been to one, seems like a good Nomadic traveler ritual to experience.

Maki2 While you’re at cracker barrel try the sourdough toast. Almost as good as homemade sourdough. They’re cooking is so good it makes it easy to help repay them for allowing us to stay a night or two.

Don't know current status, but the Walmart in Kingman allowed over nights a while back.

wayne49 said:
Don't know current status, but the Walmart in Kingman allowed over nights a while back.
I was at the Walmart in Kingman in May, signs were posted sasying no overnight parking allowed.

But I do know of two trailhead areas by Kingman to stay at if needed. I stayed at one of them for 2 nights in May. I might even end up driving all the way to the caravan site for that night instead, it just depends on how early in the morning I get to Kingman. Or I could wait and todo my errands a few days later in Pahrump. Of course I want to checkmout that town and I need to get a package sent there plus ship out stuff. Good thing about having a flexible schedule, I can go with the flow of my energy, moods, etc. 

Which would be how today went. I was going to do laundry but got to talking on the phone with my best buddy in Seattle. He had a question about what adhesive to recommend for a repair on a boat interior. Not his boat but a neighbors. But of course the talk evolved to other subjects as well.

Not sure what I will order if I go to Cracker Barrel, so many options to choose from. Maybe some sourdough toast if I order eggs, hashbrowns and bacon for a meal.

It has been ages since I had any bacon. Too messy to cook in my trailer and a greasy pan to clean. Not one of my typical camping dishes. But you can buy it by the uncooked slice at the Quartzsite Roadrunner grocery store meat counter. They have a very good butcher counter. Unfortunately the owner who ran the meat counter passed away last spring. Not sure what it will be like this year.

I will likely stop at Walmart in Kingman and grab a few groceries. I tried out the $1.49, Food Club Chili and Beans sold at Walmart. I am not at all a fan of canned chilli but it was actually pretty tasty and the most reasonbly priced in the store. Wish I has some tonight, going to be another cold night in the mid 30s here by the Grand Canyon. But that will all change in a couple of days and I will be experiencing nights in the 60s in Nevada.

I think this would be fun! I hope we can soon be on the move from our home base. This would be out first foray into caravans...we need some desert time!

Is this the same link?

Looks like it! Enjoy the caravans will be a nice "welcome back" and intro to caravan travel.
-crofter

I doubt I can make it Oct 6, but there will be more caravans coming, right?

The caravans move to new spots every 14 days, so you will catch up with your chosen companions on meetup app.
-crofter

The caravans move every 14 days to a new campsite which are located in Arizona, Nevada and New Mexico, a relatively compact area. Different caravan groups will rotate through the campsites.
At this time western New Mexico is the farthest east the caravans will go.

The current location isn't shown on the HOWA site, as promised.

MrNoodly said:
The current location isn't shown on the HOWA site, as promised.
It is posted but surprise!!... you have to read the instructions about going to the caravan section and then clicking on a statement you agee to a liabilty release before you can see the information about the caravans and the written directions to their current locations.

Link to the HOWAvwebsite page for the caravans, as stated you do have to click on the red colored text liabilty release acceptance statement to get to the information about the differrent caravans and their current locations.
https://homesonwheelsalliance.org/caravans/

I am posting from the red caravan located few miles outside of the town of Pahrump. You do need to follow the WRITTEN directions t. On thecc HOWA web pagev get to the cam,psite as the mapping software on cellular devices takes you onto a very bad dirt road.

Caravans, so much fun! As maki posted, caravan locations are shown to the people who sign up through the app.

A new low here: 58 degrees thats cause for celebration, high today about 91 degrees in the low desert at 141 feet elevation. Winds are up today.

Link to Pamela's cone of uncertainty, midweek landfall at Mazatlan MX area if I read the map right. Watching to see if track hooks northward as it gets closer to the Gulf of California. Forcast is that Pamela will NOT come north.
-crofter

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_ep1+shtml/205541.shtml?gm_track#contents

Sorry about the derail to weather- wrong thread. The " buttons" to post anything are so small and my hands are pretty numb by this age. That's my story.   -c