Canyon / Colorado

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netter

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone have any experience with the 4x4 GMC Canyon (or the Chevy Colorado) with the 5 cylinder engine?

I saw one on CR for sale with a mini box.

5 cylinders? I wonder if its inline or a v5?

hmm

Thanks

Inline engine.

Beware of the 4X4's. One of the customers used them. (Might have been the Envoy, actually. I see so many of these, it is hard to keep them straight as I get older.)
Anyway, take a close look at the front axle shafts.
One of them passes THROUGH the oil pan of the engine. Think about that.

The 5 cylinder motors are not overly blessed. Though I have little data on them, when we did the effectiveness study for northeastern use, after just a few being tested, they decided to go another platform.
Not the worst thing ever made, but they are no "LS" GM V8 by any stretch.

I own an older Canyon 4x4 Crew Cab with the I-5 engine. I've lived with a check engine light for years but no driveability issues. The four wheel drive has always worked flawlessly, along with the rear locking differential. Beware the cost of keeping the front end in good repair though. Any time the front brake rotors need replaced it's better to replace wheel bearings, seals, CV shafts, and anything else in there. The rotors come off the BACK, not the FRONT like many other vehicles. The body is done for - rusted away rocker panels. For a vehicle this age in SW Ontario, Canada, this isn't uncommon.

Originally I was interested in the great fuel economy that was promised by this model, but have since been disappointed by that aspect.

After many years of only minor problems and my own negligence in maintenance, I have to say that it's served me well and owes me nothing.

the above post is why I don't recommend independent front suspension 4x4's. to many moving parts. highdesertranger

I had a Trailblazer, with the I-6 version of the same engine, driveshaft through the oilpan too. Surprisingly peppy, and towed my '72 Panther (around 4000 lbs loaded) in the Ozarks with aplomb. I put about 100,000 miles on it (had about 60k when I bought it) and it never gave me any trouble. I'm kinda sorry I traded it.
I've driven Canyorados plenty of times, and I've enjoyed the drive... also, no problems with the ones I experienced.

Honestly, while I do like 4wd, I'm currently jonesing for a z71 4x2 model, 2wd but with a locking rear... and I'd settle for the 4 cylinder version. I don't plan on having a large trailer to haul at any point, maybe something like a foamboard DIY or a Casita. I'd be perfectly comfortable with these little trucks. The I5 has as much power and torque as I care for in the small trucks.