Campground review Deep Creek Preserve Near PORT CHARLOTTE FLA

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
Campground review Deep Creek Preserve
Near PORT CHARLOTTE FLA

I have moved to Deep Creek Preserve on Wednesday. I was testing the online reservation system and it took two days over Veterans Day for them to confirm and send me the gate code.

Just as I arrived a contractor has finishing up mowing the grass in the three acres or so of camping space. There are about 9 picnic tables with some fire rings and stand up grills. A porta john and non-potable running water are in place plus huge oaks with Spanish moss for shade.

Right now I have the whole place to myself. There is a bit of traffic noise from CR 769 but not bad for FREE.

I brought out the Coleman gas stove for some gourmet meals vs. my single burner alcohol stove I use in the camper.

Tonight (5pm) I am having stir-fry beef with rice. I tried sitting out after dark with the Coleman lantern but had to retire to the aluminum tent due to the skeeters.

I have positioned my truck to get the morning sun to about 10am then shade until sundown. It was 49 degrees at 6am. Cold front coming with temps down to low 40's little buddy heater is locked and loaded.

Good Verizon 4g signal at 2 bars and no fire ants.

http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/areas/deepcreek.html
IMG_20141112_170614.jpgIMG_20141113_081903.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20141112_170614.jpg
    IMG_20141112_170614.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20141113_081903.jpg
    IMG_20141113_081903.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 48
Thanks. Do you have noseeum screen in your abode? I was thinking I would probably need it for my little camper.

That's a good looking shell on your truck!

You're keeping everything written down for the book, right!? When you get that far, I'd be glad to share everything I know on publishing to the Kindle. Which really isn't that much. It's surprisingly easy.
Bob

I have no screens at all. The only place in Florida that I have found museums is in the Keys. The Keys are not tin can tourist friendly. In January I was there about 15 years ago and the overnight low temp was 71 or way to hot for a polar bear without AC.

Getting down to 39 on Tuesday morning will have to fire up the little buddy heater.

As of this morning here in deep creek only 3 parties in camp 2 small groups in tents and a senior couple in a MH.

Is that a 92 Chevy pick-up with 8' bed? I had one just like it...same color! I loved ol' Blue! I pulled trucks that were much bigger out of the sand at the beach with my little Chevy pick-up.

Your camper shell is great with the additional height! Mine only came to the top of the truck cab but I was younger then and could crawl around better!

Thanks for the info about the campground and for sharing your trip.

My truck (a 92 Chevy pick-up with 8' bed) also has a 4.10 limited slip rear axle so it's a super beast.

Friday night at Deep Creek preserve a local Boy Scout group and another small family group arrived. Now I know why 55+ communities are so popular here in Geezertown FLA. Before noon the hellions where gone and a few hours later the senior couple in a 28’ class B with three slides on an E450 chassis vacated and now it’s just me and the wilderness.

I have made plans as of the first of December to make a 190-mile trip within a trip to check out the South Fla. Water Management campgrounds north of the big “O” lake. Reservations were provided in an instant with a PDF of your stay and gate code for you to save.

I will be staying 5 days each at Hickory Hammock, Lock S65-C, and Starvation Slough.
North Yates marsh was closed for construction.

To reserve a SFWMD campground go to this page and use the drop down menu at the bottom. The calendar view tells you how many sites are left for each day of the month.
There is a 5-day max stay limit and they are FREE.

http://www.sfwmd.gov/portal/page/portal/pg_grp_sul/pg_sul_main

BTW at 3:17 PM the temp 82 partly cloudy with an overnight low of 66 with 63% humidity and a 5-10 mph wind.

Is this area required to have an enclosed system? I have a composting toilet set up.

dragonflyinthesky said:
Is this area required to have an enclosed system? I have a composting toilet set up.

No such rules in place, this is East Coast living no BLM BS here.

I have been here for five days and no one of authority has checked my credentials.