Camp N Car

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abnorm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw on FB ........HOWA has teamed up with a start-up company in Seattle ...............Camp N Car

I tried to copy the post but too much formatting....Seems like they have one product ForSale so-far....a Trunk Bunk     

Trunk Bunk – Camp N Car

Yeah that’s a nifty looking piece of equipment all right. I mean that for those of you who have money to throw away. It’s such a simple design and such a well-known design and well used by many people that there’s really nothing special about it. I made something similar for my old van using the lumber that was actually old hard wood skids that I cleaned sanded and finished so that no one would recognize reuse lumber. And I built that thing for less than $25.00. I have very limited woodworking skills. My opinion is that this is a very expensive piece of equipment. One That can B build this with various types of bargain or reclaimed lumber for a very low price. Their mortise joints are not tight because they have a circular drilled corner to each one. And while there’s nothing wrong with the workmanship It’s just way overpriced. I am the worlds best expert amount opinion but I’d be disappointed if HOWAa goes to far with these people on other projects. HOWA has been building minivan “No build builds“for less money than this simple bed. Anyone disagrees me, fine with me I’d like to hear From both sides; Those who know me know that my opinion has been wrong in the past but I just can’t see it.

Ikea can do it for a lot less. But not in Sazttle where people need to ptice items so there labor can take a living wage after the company pays for rent and all the uti.ities as welll as all the materials and equipment.

I checked the FB post again.....Bob will feature the company in his Feb 24 and April 21 CRVL Videos .....also published on the HOWA video site

Camp N Car will produce a universal kit inspired by the Original HOWA Minivan build........Bed, Shelving and Storage....

Here's the 20 page PDF of the original HOWA build (if you have the bandwidth):

https://homesonwheelsalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Minivan-Build-Manual-June-2019.pdf

HOWA will use the first CNC kit in it's April van build-out in Pahrump NV

Bob himself has a much better design in one of his older videos. Four legs and a plywood top. Ok, add another leg in the middle so it won't sag.
The most tool-inept guy or gal can do that.
I don't see the benefit for all the extra expense for van lifers... $575.00? Really?

Oh I can see the point. Many people might want something like this. It would be very useful for people who are have jobs and are outfitting vans for weekend camping and vacation. Van dwellers on a budget are not the main targets for this kind of product.

Do you know how much money people spend on VW camper vans that are 30, 40, even 50 years old years old?? You can argue that a kit like this is a reasonable way to get similar functionality at a much more reasonable price.

Spendy. I agree that their market is not us. I used plywood for each bed in my builds with no problems. Cheap, easy, and lightweight. 
-crofter.

If you want a really cheap strong platform get a damaged interior door the size you need, drill some holes and fill it with some spray insulation foam and glue a piece of 1/4” plywood on top. It will cost and weigh less than good high quality 3/4” plywood and be stronger. Paint it with oops exterior house paint to make it water proof. If you want it to last longer than you will cover it completely with canvas soaked in TiteBond III glue then paint it after it has dried completely.

I genuinely thought it was some kind of prank advertising when I initially read their site information!

The ludicrously expensive cost of that self assembly set of wood pieces is hardly compatible with cheap living in one's vehicle!

Its a hipster hashtag vanlife gimmick...