C-Head Toilet Owners!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WanderLoveJosh

Reaction score
Anyone here that owns a C-Head composting toilet have any tips for preventing caking buildup in the urine diverter, or good chemicals for removing it?

It seems like every time we clean it, we have to scrub with a brush, and we clean it enough to where you'd think it wouldn't be an issue, I'm not sure if it has to do with the material that the diverter is made of or what.

I just use my regular Pine-Sol and water mix and paper towels.

If it's really bad because I've been lax in doing housework, I might take pure Pine-Sol to it.

And yes, it's the material that's used. You're probably used to a harder surface like porcelain, although I always used a toilet brush for that too... :D

I never thought about pine sol, so far i've always been just going with a general cleaner, like spic n span, or something with bleach.

I'll have to try the pine sol and report back!

Thank you! :)

Oh and several owners of separating toilets have recommended a small quantity of fabric softener poured down the diverter in to the collection jug as a method of keeping any urine smells down.

I use it when I remember to do so!.

I find that changing out the gallon jugs when they get gross helps too!

Fabric softener, I never would have thought of that either.

I usually swap the jugs realistically once a month, usually when it starts to the tossing out point it seems.

I just wish the diverter was a material that was easier to clean, maybe I'll have to mention it to Sandy at C-head.

WanderLoveJosh said:
Anyone here that owns a C-Head composting toilet have any tips for preventing caking buildup in the urine diverter,

Are you spritzing the diverter with water after use?  I have read of folks doing that.

I don't have a C-Head but for my composting toilet the diverting liquid part goes into the gray tank. I always make sure to pour a little water in to make sure it helps wash it down. I know a lot of the composting toilets use a bottle to collect the liquid. If pouring a little water in would use up too much space you could try spritzing it with a vinegar water mix after each use. Just put some in a water bottle and it would be handy to use.

frater secessus said:
Are you spritzing the diverter with water after use?  I have read of folks doing that.

Sometimes, using a mixture of water/vinegar, but I have to admit I'm pretty lazy about doing it each time lol

The issue was calcium... soap and bleach aren't enough to remove it. Limeaway did the trick, now the diverter looks brand new like when I first got it.

This may be a bit of a delicate subject: How is the clearance of the front part (urine) in the C-Head for guys with ahem, larger equipment? There's almost nothing more I hate than my privates touching something down in a bowl... ;)

C-Cat said:
This may be a bit of a delicate subject: How is the clearance of the front part (urine) in the C-Head for guys with ahem, larger equipment? There's almost nothing more I hate than my privates touching something down in a bowl... ;)

Hahah that’s good. Honestly I myself personally wouldn’t know how that is. I guess I still have plenty of clearance and room.

I’ve read it needs ventilation. What happens if it doesn’t get any? I really like the idea of emptying the jug instead of the bottom of my porta potty!

ValerieP said:
I’ve read it needs ventilation. What happens if it doesn’t get any? I really like the idea of emptying the jug instead of the bottom of my porta potty!

I wouldn’t say needs, I’m sure the ventilation is helpful for when in different climates, but we haven’t vented ours, and haven’t had any real problems. In cold weather there is more moisture, so the bucket ends up getting changed more often.

My C-Head is concealed in a box that I built for it. I did not use the ventilation system that came with it and have found no need to do so. I do keep one of the solid air freshener containers inside the exterior box.

The only time there has ever been any kind of odor is after I've had a serious bout of stomach issues. At that point the solids tank is, well, not so solid... :rolleyes:  It's okay on the highway but after being bounced around on the rough gravel road in to some of my more remote campsites, there was a very faint smell for a couple of hours until it settled down again. I've learned to empty it early if I've had problems!

C-Cat said:

Most just fold the junk in half................if more clearance is needed another fold may be needed...................
Sigh..................that's not an issue I have ever had......sigh............

frater secessus said:
Ventilation on composting (dessicating) toilets is to help dry solid deposits more quickly.
Where do you vent - through the side of the van, the roof or the floor?

@C-Cat
That deserves its own thread. I'll get the popcorn

These are a couple of methods the professional products use for treating urine odors and also for cleaning up urine soaked areas. You might as well take your tips from the pros because they do know what works.

The first version of urine treatment is done with enzymes, you can get gallon sized jugs or spray bottles of these cleaners at any pet supply store. Just spray it in the bowl as your cleansing rinse. It will neutralize the urine and also it will reduce the odors on the surface and in the holding tank. A lot of the eco friendly, commercial enzyme treatments for holding tanks are based on this technology. You can buy it in a powered form or in a liquid form. I have been using the Kids and Pets brand sold at pet stores and grocery stores for many years for cleaning up accidents from various dogs and cats too. Also used for rinsing out the litter boxes and cleaning the floor around the litter boxes. It works very well for human urine or the urine of other animals as well. If you ever get a mouse problem then use this stuff to wash your RV interior and areas of the exterior too to remove their urine trails that can attract other mice.

The second method the pros use is hydrogen peroxide. It is a great cleaning disinfectant which is used in many household cleaning products and it does neutralize odors and clean surfaces. You can make your own diluted solution of it by purchasing bottles of jyrdrogen peroxide from drug stores and in the aisles of the drug store where first aid supplies, dental supplies, etc are sold. You can also buy it in bulk in a powder form from feed and seed ranch supply stores and make your own spray bottle solution. They use it for cleaning the urine odors out of stables and kennels. Of course this it is the same thing as the Oxy clean, Oxygen bleach, cleaning products and you can purchase off brand versions of it from the dollar store for another bargain friendly choice. It might be in powdered form or it might be sold as a pre-mixed solution in a spray bottle.

The nice thing is neither of these methods leaves behind that truly obnoxious smell that is Pine Sol. In my opinion the smell of that stuff is just about as nauseous as the smell of the urine. But of course we all have differences in our olfactory processing for both physical and emotional reactions to various thing.