BUYING LAND

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DannyB1954 said:
I would consider buying a dilapidated mobile home that has well and septic.

It's like you're reading my mind! ;)

I've also tried narrowing my searches down to places that had an old home that isn't habitable. These are usually being sold for the land itself, but already have the water / sewer / electric. Sadly these are often lots that are less than an acre in my experience.

be careful with the old mobile homes. a buddy of mine bought property in AZ for cheap with an old mobile home on it, come to find out the old mobile home had asbestos in it and my buddy was on the hook for remediation. talk about big bucks and once the can of worms was open there was no way to close it. almost broke him. highdesertranger

Yeah, I'd be looking for something easier to disassemble, like an old shack/cottage/cabin.

highdesertranger said:
be careful with the old mobile homes.  a buddy of mine bought property in AZ for cheap with an old mobile home on it,  come to find out the old mobile home had asbestos in it and my buddy was on the hook for remediation.  talk about big bucks and once the can of worms was open there was no way to close it.  almost broke him.  highdesertranger

Abandoned Meth labs are the most dangerous, and those don't necessarily need to be in a structure.

Interesting thread. My wife and I just started looking at "camping" land on some water such as a lake or river. Even a small sliver of land would do, maybe a quarter or half acre . I'm surprised that there is quite a bit available for a not a lot of money. Looking in TN, KY or AL. Something within a few hours drive of middle TN.

We bought ~30 acres in the mountains of eastern Washington state.   Taxes are about $29 a year since it is classified as timber land.  No building permits required although if you want to build something you are supposed to file a site plan to show you are building inside your property boundaries and not across an easement.   We are building a 40 x 30 foot pole barn and walked into the county office to get a site plan.  The lady gave us a one page form which we filled out the same day and paid $30...got approved the next day.

$30!  I love eastern Washington.

No rules for camping on your property time limitations.   You are supposed to have a water supply and septic if you want to build a permanent structure but a RV does not fall under permanent structure rules.

polebarn.jpg

Attachments

• polebarn.jpg
    polebarn.jpg
    509.3 KB · Views: 21
A Savage Adventure said:
IGBT, very nice! Thanks for the information.

P.S. - IGBT? Are you an EE?

Heh, yes.   EE although kinda retired now I guess.  I still tinker a bit and start new electronic projects now and then.

IGBT said:
Heh, yes.   EE although kinda retired now I guess.  I still tinker a bit and start new electronic projects now and then.

Amazing! Me too! I got laid off after 12 years with a company in CA and decided the stress of that life, the health issues it brought me and finally, the fact that it turned what used to be a fun hobby into yet another source of stress made me quit, cold turkey. I don't even tinker much anymore. I've sold off most of my more expensive test equipment and parts and continue selling the rest on eBay. I deleted my website and started a new one devoted to the RV life.

P.S. - I used to have a cat named, "JFET". ;)

IGBT said:
We bought ~30 acres in the mountains of eastern Washington state.   Taxes are about $29 a year since it is classified as timber land.  No building permits required although if you want to build something you are supposed to file a site plan to show you are building inside your property boundaries and not across an easement.   We are building a 40 x 30 foot pole barn and walked into the county office to get a site plan.  The lady gave us a one page form which we filled out the same day and paid $30...got approved the next day.

$30!  I love eastern Washington.

No rules for camping on your property time limitations.   You are supposed to have a water supply and septic if you want to build a permanent structure but a RV does not fall under permanent structure rules.

How much is land in Eastern Washinton? I'm looking for something in North Carolina and I know a realtor but it's expensive. At least what he deals in. I would like to find something just big enough for my RV. Any help appreciated. I would like to find an old deserted mobile home that has electric and sewer. Maybe the best way to find it is just travel around and look, because I'm not having much luck online.

I already posted about the issue with old mobile homes. they may contain asbestos, and you as the owner become responsible for the remediation. think big bucks. highdesertranger

$20K is cheap within an hour of a Wally's right?

Don't need big acres but fewer rules the better.

highdesertranger said:
I already posted about the issue with old mobile homes.  they may contain asbestos,  and you as the owner become responsible for the remediation.  think big bucks.  highdesertranger

In the news recently we're being told that Asbestos is perfectly safe for us. That it was all a mob conspiracy.  :rolleyes: 

Still, I won't go near it. Back in the early 80s I was a mechanic and repaired brakes that contained asbestos, not to mention the older houses I lived in growing up in the 70s...asbestos...lead paint...oy!

A Savage Adventure said:
In the news recently we're being told that Asbestos is perfectly safe for us. That it was all a mob conspiracy.
No one claims asbestos exposure is not potentially deadly.

Just because mesothelioma also has other causes

just because scamming lawyers overstate cause and effect for their tobacco-smoking clients

doesn't make the whole thing a scam, no changes to the issue as a whole.

Concho, Arizona is cheap. Clean and safe too. We lived in our van for 2-1/2 years before we got a travel trailer and bought a couple acres there. Great mild 4 seasons climate. Low crime. We got 2.2 acres with a paved road right in front of our place. The road has electric, telephone and cable. It was $500 down and $157 a month. $5000 total. We live about a mile from the general dollar and 2 miles from Lake Concho. Pretty sweet.

This is an interesting thread; I have looked at land in the west previously. If you own land, do you buy liability insurance? How much does this cost?