Buying a tiny home/trailer/getting help from habitat from humanity as backup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can’t really answer the question that was asked because I don’t know exactly what I would do. It would depend on what was available. I would think I would sneak under the permits curtain if I just put up a shed with the garage door and no one knew I was trying to live in it. Staying In it would be only a part-time sporadic thing, probably based upon the weather. I’d be open to any form of doing that off grid, partially on grid, outhouse, whatever. But the point is for me it’s only an idea or a fantasy I don’t have the resources to do anything like that. But at one time full-time van life was a fantasy so who knows sometimes those fantasies become reality.

How about buying a used camper somewhere down south and putting it up in a rental lot?

Thanks

Also consider failed subdivisions and ghost towns where the infrastructure is already in (road, power, water lines or well, sewer system).

On the map it looks like tons of homes but in reality few home sites exist. I am thinking of Tacna AZ, also Dateland AZ on the Gila River for example. Every state has these development towns that just didn't take off, or ghost towns that died out after everyone moved on.
-crofter

Davsey85 said:
How about buying a used camper somewhere down south and putting it up in a rental lot?

Thanks
You could do that, they want the newer trailers ten year old or less usually. Though you can buy an old one that is already set up there and usually can stay if you fix it up a little.

When I bought my oldie I was not planning to fix anything. Then was handed a list of things to fix within 30 days. In AZ a private RV park has 60 days to kick out a new owner or they are stuck with you, so be advised of the time frame if repairs are required get right on it. . There is a gov agency who enforces this just in case.
-crofter

Curious how much does it cost per month to rent and stay in a trailer home in some of the rural places states like Florida,Alabama,,Mississippi Louisiana,Texas, or Arizona ?

Do you typically have to buy a trailer home and put it on land or are there places where everything is already set up and you just pay a monthly fee?

Thank You

Do you typically have to buy a trailer home and put it on land or are there places where everything is already set up and you just pay a monthly fee?
Speaking as a serial renter who's lived in three of the states you mentioned ... I've never noticed that rental trailers are all that much cheaper than rental apartments. Maybe a little. (Or more expensive, if the trailer is nice enough or the landlord is shameless enough.)

They'll show up on, for example, Craigslist, in the same place that rental houses and apartments do.

I don't think there's any such thing as cheap rent right now, anywhere -- just expensive and stratospheric.

Good luck!

PS sorry, I see this is an old-ish thread.