Buy Nothing Day

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AltTransBikes

Reaction score
As counterpoint to the media-ized frenzy known as black friday, the idea of BND exists in some quiet corners of the land. For me it has little to do with politics and all to do with economics: I'm cheap. Frugal is a better word though as I'll wait to afford quality over instant grat and have come to appreciate the understanding of what false economy is: cheap now-inferior-throw it away vs. pay more for something that lasts 2 or 3 X as long

I'm not against shopping just the sweaty, body bumping kind. In fact I think of myself as kind of an ultimate shopper, slow and methodical, research, read reviews, get opinions. When I do shop, it's mostly online these days. Sometimes this doesn't pan out, I might go so slow as to miss a sale price. Or in the process of shopping I'll decide I don't really need the widget after all, lol.

For the most part though, excluding heavy freight or local pick-up only items, I find I can match or beat most "sales extravaganzas" with online shopping and do so year round, cool and detached.

We're not worried about all that shopping mess. In Q there's no big stores and no rush for anything we can see. Just another relaxed day at safehaven.
We ain't even buyin nothin online any time soon.

I don't need any more stuff. Trying to get rid of most of the stuff I already have.

mockturtle said:
I don't need any more stuff. Trying to get rid of most of the stuff I already have.

Heh, true, true, guess for many folks who frequent these pages it's buy nothing day most everyday, lol.

Like you, I am cheap and frugal. I've been to one Black Friday in my life and I won't ever do that again. Fact, I try not to even get close to a store on that day.

I also apply what I call the want/need test to what I buy.....For example when you say "I NEED a new cell phone" .... you have to ask yourself do you NEED it or do you WANT it. If your cell phone is broke and doesn't work at all... then you probably NEED it. If your cell phone still works fine but is getting obsolete and kinda beat up....then the answer is you WANT it. Many people confuse want with need.

My cell phone is almost 3 years old and has been swimming twice, but it still works... I waited so long on my upgrade that my brother took it for his phone. Fortunately I bought a good quality phone the first time, not what was currently popular. Like you I study and research what has the best quality at the best price.

I don't need a Black Friday to sell me a cheap piece of throw away merchandise...that stuff is everywhere now days.

We live about 100 miles from Memphis, TN and we were driving there Thanksgiving Day to enjoy dinner with Family and were pleasantly surprised at the stores that were closed.

There may be hope for us yet. :)

Alright you guys, BND? How are we going to turn this economy around if no one spends? My solution, Buy Owl Stuff, or BOS for short. If you can't think of any thing to buy me, I'll take cash. Stargazer, you start off. ;)

owl said:
Alright you guys, BND? How are we going to turn this economy around if no one spends? My solution, Buy Owl Stuff, or BOS for short. If you can't think of any thing to buy me, I'll take cash. Stargazer, you start off. ;)

Darn, I wanted to do that. Oh well, you got first dibs.

owl said:

Nah, screw that owl, I'm into hand-made gifts. I got you a cord of split, rock maple firewood.

You'll have to pick it up though.:D

ATB, I need an address. Fair warning, the last person that invited me over had to put up with me for 8 yrs. Will that cord last that long?

Maybe you could mail it to me?

owl said:

hmmm BOS... does that make you just one S short of the BOSS

I have a long-standing tradition of buy nothing on black friday out of protest for the way people treat each other not 24 hours after a day of thanks.