Brief writeup of my favorite places in Fernandina Beach.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMG51

Reaction score
Because I was asked by someone here, I wrote up a short list of my favorite areas in Fernandina Beach, Florida. It has a historic downtown area and nice quaint vibe. Surrounded by water on both sides, there are equal opportunities for picturesque sunrises and sunsets. It's also easy to park near the water.

Note that each screenshot includes a street address / GPS coordinates. (Right-click and view full size picture.)

1. (West side) Private Marina in the harbor. Although technically you're not allowed to park here, I've stayed here consecutive days and nights at a time different years, and only once, when several vehicle dweller types began taking up residence, did I observe police asking people to move on. Nearby there is a parking lot with a fresh water spigot and trough for feeding horses. (Location circled in blue.) Fill your water there, and, it's also legal to park there should you get chased off the marina sand lot.

ApBYfKY.jpg

2. (West side) Stretch of neglected road, just north of the marina in #1. It's totally okay to park here as legal street parking and you're still near the water.

U3yY1F4.jpg

3. (East side) This is the main park at the ocean, and you can hang out here all day enjoying the water. Public bathrooms are nearby and free. You can't park here at night, and they will chase you away, but, just above the parking lot are plenty of residential streets which are equally close to the ocean and perfectly legal to park.

jXqEdbW.jpg

4. Central park. Get water here too. Location of spigot is circled in purple and you can drive up to it.

aW2pcDu.jpg

I won't be haunting them, but cool of you to post specifics. Hopefully you left some "nuggets" for yourself. Hate to see you chased out of your sweet spots. Rep for sharing!

Nonstealth Class B (loud and proud) overnight downtown in the library parking lot. No hassles, peaceful, other than a few people talking after closing time at the bar.

30.67163, -81.46277

Having been traveling in a trunk-n-trailer setup for the past few years, might I respectfully request anyone that is NOT towing to NOT park in those trailer-only spots circled in that first image. There seem to be ample parking for not-towing vehicles, so please leave those spots for the truck/trailer combos that only have those places to park without any other option.

I realize this is not a discussion official places to overnight, but something worth considering anywhere you may park for a day or night.

Thanks to all, and thanks to the OP for marking these spots.

skyl4rk said:
Nonstealth Class B (loud and proud) overnight downtown in the library parking lot. No hassles, peaceful, other than a few people talking after closing time at the bar.

30.67163, -81.46277

The library also has Wi-Fi and 120v outlets throughout the parking lot... The legality of using these overnight, I shan't speculate, but, they are there.

Van-Tramp said:
Having been traveling in a trunk-n-trailer setup for the past few years, might I respectfully request anyone that is NOT towing to NOT park in those trailer-only spots circled in that first image. There seem to be ample parking for not-towing vehicles, so please leave those spots for the truck/trailer combos that only have those places to park without any other option.

I realize this is not a discussion official places to overnight, but something worth considering anywhere you may park for a day or night.

Thanks to all, and thanks to the OP for marking these spots.

I kinda circled the whole parking lot. Incidentally though, I never parked in those trailer spaces, and they were always empty at night.

Those spaces are for rigs with boat trailers.

You'd have to ask yourself if you could leave early enough to beat the fishermen......

I'm parked there now. Unfortunately the wind is just right so that the industrial plant to the South is sending the smell of hot cement and hotdogs.

Yum. No wonder real estate in Old Fernandina was so cheap. We are now at the Mart of Wal for another all night concerto of refrigerated truck generators.

Sorry, I'm feeling kind of snarky today. Fernandina Beach is very nice, one of the nicest places I have seen. We are going to stay here for a few days before returning to the land of ice and snow.