Breakup on the road?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Watch_Cowspiracy

Reaction score
Has anyone broken up with their partner while living in a vehicle? My partner doesn't know how to drive and has no family to stay with. They can't work or afford rent. It's not like I can just drop them off at a random intersection with a bottle of water and a granola bar and say 'good luck!'
What would you do? TIA

^
Homeless shelter? Or a bus or train ticket to ??

Be careful you aren't blamed for anything that might happen after the breakup...

Surely this person has ties somewhere.

But if not - some states/cities have a lot more resources and willingness to help homeless people than others do.

Also, if s/he is religious, some of the big mainstream churches offer social services.

Where would s/he like to live?

Are you willing to drive her/him there?

Wow, that’s a difficult situation.

I agree with a bus or train ticket, if you can afford it, and/or otherwise helping your partner make a plan which you both then stick to.

If they have no one, anywhere, to go to and be linked with, a planned drop off at a shelter may be your only option.

You’re being kind and thoughtful about this, and that is to your credit.

It may get harder to be so as the end point nears, but do your best to hold firm to your moral compass and do the right thing.

Good luck.

thanks for the replies folks. I don't feel like a homeless shelter or a bus ticket to nowhere would be very ethical.

One of the first steps is that you might consider is talking in private to a social worker before you begin the separation. Do that to lessen the risk for things such as suicide by your partner or harm to yourself or your belongings. Do it with kindness in your heart and an open mind. It could be you will feel like it is as tough as walking on burning coals and that it might be a total waste of time. Both those things might be close to coming true but you will gain some insights to possible solutions despite that.

If this individual is truly incapable of working then the social worker can set into motion the steps needed to help them obtain disability income, medical coverage and housing. They can help place that individual into temporary shelter while the paperwork gets processed. Of course it is not a pleasant situation, such things are not comfortable for anyone involved in it. But there is a big difference between a situation being hopeless and one being very uncomfortable.

Social workers are found in many places, in city government, non-profits, churches, senior centers, medical and metal health clinics, shelters, food banks, YWCA, unemployment offices, through suicide hotline numbers, the outreach of police departments, etc. Make a connection and get advice on the possibilities.

Try to do it in a location where you can stay a little while and where the climate is not too harsh for the time of year. If need be for a transition period be willing to rent a small, short term, storage locker for them for 60 days or so to help secure their personal belongings until they get in a stable living situation. Be sure it is their name on the paperwork, not yours, you provide the cash but stay off the rental agreement. It makes a big difference to have personal possessions in a secured place if they do need to sleep in a shelter during the transitional phase.

Watch_Cowspiracy said:
thanks for the replies folks. I don't feel like a homeless shelter or a bus ticket to nowhere would be very ethical.

Certainly my thought was a bus ticket to your partners family or friend, if they have them, not out into the wide open spaces.

Good luck.

Watch Cowspiracy,

What a tough situation!  You ask "What would you do?"
I don't know.  It would depend on several things.

Is there abuse happening that makes either of you unsafe? Are drugs or alcohol involved?  Does the other person know you want to terminate the relationship?  Have you both wholeheartedly tried to mend it?  "Can't work" can mean a lot of things.  Many disabled people are trained and able to do something.  So many unknowns.

What I would do...  if this is a person whom I met less than a year or so ago and I don't have much invested in the relationship, I'd drop them at the next corner.  If it is a partner of many years who kept my home, raised our children, all of that, I'd teach them to be independent and help establish them in a new life without me.  That would take time and money.  Or the opposite in that they worked to support me for years, became disabled and now need me to take over?

It sounds like you are a decent person who wants to do the right thing or at least the best you can.  But there are so many unknowns...

I agree with maki2. Find a professional who can direct you in a positive direction.

Let's just make it simple.  A bus ticket and a bologna sandwich.

Watch_Cowspiracy said:
Has anyone broken up with their partner while living in a vehicle? My partner doesn't know how to drive and has no family to stay with. They can't work or afford rent. It's not like I can just drop them off at a random intersection with a bottle of water and a granola bar and say 'good luck!'
What would you do? TIA
Are there drugs involved?

There was a song....The big Diesel engine is singing my song. Thank God for Greyhound she's gone....

Probably dropped her off at a truck stop and said he'd be right in...

I mean really, because she couldn't drive?
No one caught that?!
So teach her to drive!

Why bologna? I'd ike to think I would at least get tuna fish!

GypsyJan said:
Why bologna? I'd ike to think I would at least get tuna fish!
There is more baloney in bologna than tuna fish. And yes, this all happened a year ago with no updates since then. So we should just let that water flow under the bridge. IMHO.
-crofter

Oh crap I can’t help but tell the stupid jokes you reminded me of. What’s the difference between a piano and a tuna? Answer you can tune a piano but you can’t tuna fish. Smile