Breaking down with Pets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenny

Reaction score
I travel with two large well behaved dogs and I really fear breaking down with the pups on board. Can anyone share experiences about how to deal with this?

You break down on the highway....

So the tow guy shows up and what if he wont tow if he finds out dogs are in the rig? Or he tows and wants to store my rig in a fenced yard where I dont have access? So maybe its a big repair and I need a motel, Will a cab take my dogs and I to a motel? That is if I can find one that takes dogs?

What if I'm deep in the forest and alone. My dogs are older and cant walk far.. Hell I'm older and cant walk far ... :s What do you do?

Thanks for any advice.. Kenny

If I were to break down and call for a tow, I would specify that I had dogs with me and if it was a problem, call somebody else. Same with a taxi. I find that most people are very accommodating of dogs. I know Good Sams includes transporting your pet with their service. Someone standing beside a broken down van with a dog or two on a leash would make me even more likely to stop. Dog lovers somehow seem less threatening. I know that when I've had mechanical issues (and more so when I have my dogs) lots of people have slowed down and asked if I need help. In the woods, I would stay put since I have my home with me, maybe make a signal fire and wait to be found if I had no cell service. It would be a lot safer than wandering and running into a wild animal or breaking a leg tripping.

It's kinda like the way my wife worries when I'm out touring on my motorcycle...

"What are you gonna do if you break down out in the middle of nowhere???"

I'll deal with it. That's whacha do. No real big deal.

You'll find help when you need it, and everything will be alright. (including your doggy friends) :)

Yeah, I know that eventually everything will work itself out, I drove my motorcycle for years with nary a worry. It's really the pups. It's not like there is a ton of towing services out in the boonies but those good country folk like dogs. Highway wouldn't be so bad and yes me standing on the road with two dogs would bring help. Thanks for the replies

I've been a boondocker for 6 years and the while time I had an 80 pound dog. I loved that dog more than myself and so I took care of him no matter what.

Not everything was easy, but everything always worked out just fine.

Bob

This is my puppy,
ae9b58c0a0af583c1dcebbe7c3883aa1.jpg

Who grew up fast,
73ca9a7fc283aff40a7ec13dda381494.jpg

But unfortunately I won't have the problem of worrying about traveling with him. After my wife and I separated she got rid of him : (

I guess I should add I've broke down twice and had to be towed in the last 6 years. It was such a minor issue I don't even remember what happened to my dog! I assume he just rode in the rig on the tow truck. He would have been scared the whole way but not in any danger and it wasn't for very long.

Dogs are very adaptable! They'll be fine! The big thing is they are in their home the whole time. It's scary, but not a really big problem.
Bob

Luis, I would swear I was looking at a picture of my Gable, they are identical! Had him since he was a pup so not the same dog but maybe related. Too bad your wife gave him away, he looks like a fun guy.