Bought a shuttle bus!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texas Gypsy

Reaction score
I am so excited!
I've been looking at options trying to find what would work best for me. The conclusion I came to was a shuttle bus with a working handicap lift......and I really wanted a diesel.....with the seats already removed of course.
I gave up looking about a week ago. Most handicap lifts have been removed or if they sre present they don't work.
So I went on marketplace to list something for sale yesterday and there it is on the first listing! It even has an RV door instead of bi-fold doors plus a platform on the back!!!!
Getting it thoroughly serviced, check belts and hoses and add freon. Can't wait to get it back from the shop and get started!
Probably going to replace the 2 window units with a mini split.
Heading to Missouri for about a month then over to AZ. Really hoping this is a good choice for the Baja.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230522-180758.png
    Screenshot_20230522-180758.png
    665.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20230522-180807.png
    Screenshot_20230522-180807.png
    696.4 KB · Views: 2
That rear platform sticks out a long way and will create potential challenges in washes and dips. Do you have any non-tar driving experience?

nice find... good luck.,

That rear platform sticks out a long way and will create potential challenges in washes and dips. Do you have any non-tar driving experience?

nice find... good luck.,
Yes quite a bit and you are correct but look at how far the body of the bus protrudes beyond the back tires. This isn't a vehicle for going through washes anyhow.
While I love the really remote back country it's no longer a good choice for me because of my health issues.
I am considering shortening it.

I've seen these shuttles with a one piece mud flap just behind the rear tires to keep the dust down and from coating the rear of the rig. Where I live there are numerous dirt roads and several of the Church shuttle's use them. They can be made from recycled materials too. Around here old conveyor belts are used. I intend install one on my Ford Econoline Van.

I am so excited!
I've been looking at options trying to find what would work best for me. The conclusion I came to was a shuttle bus with a working handicap lift......and I really wanted a diesel.....with the seats already removed of course.
I gave up looking about a week ago. Most handicap lifts have been removed or if they sre present they don't work.
So I went on marketplace to list something for sale yesterday and there it is on the first listing! It even has an RV door instead of bi-fold doors plus a platform on the back!!!!
Getting it thoroughly serviced, check belts and hoses and add freon. Can't wait to get it back from the shop and get started!
Heading to Missouri for about a month then over to AZ. Really hoping this is a good choice for the Baja.
Go girl. Dream be g!;

Plenty of space, workhorse engine, lots of room for solar. It's like an RV and a shuttle bus had a baby.

Nice find!

I am so excited!
How did you get it insured? Also, have you found a source for tires?

How did you get it insured? Also, have you found a source for tires?
I am about to start looking for insurance. I had a local shop pick it up from the seller. I'm having the fluids changed, hoses belts and brakes checked. The air blows good and strong and cool but not cold so I'm having that addressed as well. I'll have it insured when I go to pick it up.
Haven't looked for tires as the ones on it are in great condition.

I do.
I used to be a truck driver. Grew up on a cattle ranch. I'm a sea captain(my picture was taken on my last ⛵) and have crossed the country several times on a motorcycle. I enjoy operating heavy equipment and have a backhoe on hand the way most folks have a lawnmower 😉
I'm not a certified mechanic but I know a few things..... Usually learned the hard way 😂

I do.
I used to be a truck driver. Grew up on a cattle ranch. I'm a sea captain(my picture was taken on my last ⛵) and have crossed the country several times on a motorcycle. I enjoy operating heavy equipment and have a backhoe on hand the way most folks have a lawnmower 😉
I'm not a certified mechanic but I know a few things..... Usually learned the hard way 😂
You're a captain? I'm in the middle of applying for the merchant marines right now. Do you have any good info to share?

Technically yes. On paper no. I don't have an interest in hiring out so I don't do the paperwork. I definitely have enough hours.
Bit of a backstory. I was retired in Mexico full time about a block from the beach. You can still smell the ocean and hear the surf but the house cost $100,000 less 😉
I'd never been on anything but a paddle boat out in the farm pond until someone needed an extra person for a fishing trip. I went out on a nice fishing boat....about choked on the diesel fumes. An amazing thing happened. That knot in the top of my back....the one from accumulated stress....it released 😲. That had never happened before. Heck I didn't know it could release!!! I had found my happy place. The place I was supposed to be!!!
None of the Mexican captains would teach a woman and especially a Gringa to sail. So I found a sailing school in Corpus Christi. Flew up there. Took lessons for a week. Took Amtrak over to AZ and started taking buses down the Sea of Cortez shopping for sailboats.
Found my boat in San Carlos. Spent a couple if weeks cleaning all the crap the slob that had owned her left behind. Who the heck puts greasy engine parts on the salon cushions?!!!
Sailed her down the Baja side of the Sea of Cortez and over to the mainland to my home harbor. Worst danged dogleg marina entrance you've ever seen! Could only get her in and out at high tide. Every time the tide was deep enough I took her out. I took anyone out that wanted to go. Some people discovered they were subject to being seasick. I just kept extra buckets onboard.
People that started to squeal when she started to get a good heel were asked if they'd like to swim back to shore.
Damn I miss it!
Covid fried my kidneys. Within 6 months I was in end stage renal failure. Had to move back to the US to get on the transplant list. The meds for the transplant have nearly killed me. I use a wheelchair now and my joints are fried. It wasn't long ago that I was diving to scrape my hull weekly and planning my first sail to Alaska.