Boondocking in Muir Woods, Mill Valley???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieNeptune

Reaction score
Hi all! I’m so excited to be part of this community and see where it will take me! I have been traveling all of my life along the west coast, but am just now getting into the nomad life- I’ve been decking out my Prius to get ready to live in. Next week I’ll be traveling home to the PNW from SoCal where I’ve been staying at my family’s house since October. On my travel down I stayed in hotels but I am so excited to get to camp in my car! My first night I’ll stay somewhere close to San Francisco, and was wondering if any of y’all know how I go about finding BLM that’s local to that area? I would ideally love to spend the night in Muir Woods, but don’t know if I can boondock there. Would anyone happen to know? Thanks again, future friends!  :p

check out all the various boondocking apps. Google it. They will have the most current info

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

You may want to pop over to the Newcomer’s Corner and introduce yourself. We’d love to hear a little about you.

“Supposed to feel welcome” yet both comments I got was go somewhere else? I truly posted here, for a reason. ?

Instant gratification. What a concept.

Have you Googled Muir Woods?

-Fine tune to "camping in Muir Woods".

-Or, "free camping near Muir Woods".

Welcome to the forum. Lots of info here but you may need to be patient.

Freecampsites.net may help. That’s what I use. Everyone new gets the welcome posts encouraging the introduction.

There are BLM maps you can access online but I don’t have a specific link. High Desert Ranger will know and see this post soon enough.

I have used google so I don’t know why everyone keeps suggesting that. Some of y’all are mean out here. All I’ve found was that I’ve had to pay for maps (which I will do) and haven’t understood blm.gov for the life of me, and the apps I’ve tried doesnt seem to really work either. I’ll look into freecampsites.net. Thank you Cammalu.

We probably need to add to the intro a blurb about freecamping and general good practices while using public lands. Just saying!

First off Everybody here is just trying to help.

The area you are talking about is very much against people sleeping in vehicles. I don't think there is BLM land anywhere in the area. The best I can do is send you to a site that shows land use as I avoid that area like the plague. It's called "My Land Matters". They have free interactive maps for the whole country,

http://mylandmatters.org/

Most of their maps are USGS(United States Geological Survey) based so are heads and shoulders above most all other online mapping sources.

Highdesertranger

The last time I had any reliable info, there were people stealth camping all around San Francisco. The lots along Great Highway (along the beach) were popular. Also, there's a scenic lookout area at the north end of Golden Gate Bridge where people overnight (or used to) (37.832885, -122.480801). I don't know what the situation is in the Marin Headlands, along Conzelman Road, Bunker Road, etc. You might find some pullouts on Highway 1 between Muir Beach and Bolinas. Similarly, they say there are spots on 1 between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. And there might be spots along 9, 236, 35 and 84 as long as you're not within state park or preserve boundaries. Oh, and the last I heard (a couple of years ago) Mountain View was semi-officially tolerant of people living in vehicles.

DuckDuckGo says:
"No results found for "free camping near Muir Woods""
However adding National Park (actually it's a Monument) returns at number one:

https://freecampsites.net/#!muir woods national monument

Which shows no camping sites in Muir Woods. There are three free cap sites inside Marin Headlands, Golden Gate National Recreation Area, which is located nearby. All three are hike in, kind of what one might expect from John Muir.

To the OP:
"Proverb: give a person a fish and you feed that person for a day; teach a person to fish and you feed that person for a lifetime"