Bob's Hightop?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ValerieP

Reaction score
I just watched Bob's newest video and his awesome hightop is in it! 
Bob, if you're listening, can you tell us more about it? I'm planning to go to Fiberine in Nov and get one installed, but I would like to know about yours before I get mine. (It's quite an investment!)

I got mine installed in North Carolina and I shot videos of the whole install. I really, really want to recommend them, but the whole experience was unpleasant from beginning to end and now I've got leaks and have not been able to connect with them to fix them.

Of course, I am totally able to fix them myself, but I paid enough that should not happen. I'm kind of in limbo until I get it all resolved.

On the other hand, I've only heard good things about Fiberine--except for the price!

Nissan-NV-3500-SL-LSF.jpg

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity...an-bikini-body-thailand-temple-photos-2014313

Here is a trouble free model from 2012 to 2016 Nissan NV 3500 v8 SL model. 2017 was supposed to be 2 miles better mpg, but I would have to wait 5 years to verify my 2017 test ride was NOT a bad transmission model problem (as reported by many new Nissan v8 7-sp transmissions owners on the web.) Ymmv, but I'm an engineering statistician so I try not to take (too many) chances. And anyone who has had a bad transmission (or several ones) is an expert on what one feels like, esp. w/50 miles on the odometer!

I love mt 2016 and it's a (heavy) steel High Roof Japanese OEM, but I can still tap out 17 mpg with a light foot. Yeah, I priced out the fiberglass tops too, but did no like fiberglass anyway for my roof. It's lighter, but softer too so...?? Safety first for me anyway. For the High Top vans on the OEM marketplace, it's in a class by itself imo. It seems like it was designed by Bob himself. But Jap parts and labor are a bummer, and I won't deny that :-(  But it is built in TN and MS here in the USA, which may be good for something anyway :)

It is pricey, but I've only heard good things about Fiberine, too! Thanks for sharing, and of course, when there's a video, I'll watch it. Actually, now that I have a van, I'll have to go back and watch some of the build videos again.

Hi Bob,

Was this place in North Carolina the one mentioned in some of the older forums on the subject? I remember being really excited about them and have them bookmarked for a future install. Kind of a bummer you're having issues right after you get one installed! Hopefully they make right and you and your high top live happily ever after.

Matt

Bob - did yours include any type of steel reinforcement, like Lady Arabella's 1" welded square stock "roll bars"? I know that the last time I asked Fiberine they would not do that.

Fiberine will add wood to make the top stronger for an AC, but I did not hear anything else offered for re-enforcement. I really liked the lines on Bob's, but I'm on the west coast and for something this big, I would only go with a proven business. I might be able to fix leaks, and then again, I might not...
Bob- sorry to hear there are leaks!

akrvbob said:
I got mine installed in North Carolina and I shot videos of the whole install. I really, really want to recommend them, but the whole experience was unpleasant from beginning to end and now I've got leaks and have not been able to connect with them to fix them.
WHOA! That's not good. Leaking from the seal between the top and van I'm guessing? Probably going to have to remove the top again to fix it right. :(

It is sad when one pays 'professionals' to do a 'professional' job and end up with a mediocre service at best.
This is why if a job is even remotely in my skill set, I just do it myself. I will probably end up with a mediocre result but saved money and it will come out better the second time around.
Sent from my Life One X using Tapatalk

Hi Bob,
I'm new to it all but want to congratulate you on the high top...even though you are dealing with it now, once it's fixed, it's better. Also, you and so many others are so fortunate to have the skill sets and ability to work on things yourself. When something happens with me, it's in the shop for weeks or months and at huge expense. It's enough to make me second guess my choice to try to get out there on the road full time. You do so much for others and the community, I know all will work out well. Thanks for all you do.

ValerieP said:
I just watched Bob's newest video and his awesome hightop is in it! 
Bob, if you're listening, can you tell us more about it? I'm planning to go to Fiberine in Nov and get one installed, but I would like to know about yours before I get mine. (It's quite an investment!)

I also had a top put on the exact same place as Bob (FiberglassMe in NC) and his saying that it was an unpleasant experience is maybe the most kind thing I've ever heard ... it was much more than unpleasant!
I also ended up replacing every single screw that they installed with the correct kind. The screws had started rusting in less than two weeks. The screws go in every 4 inches all the way around the top and then into the van body and frame itself. Then I had to caulk the heck out of the inside and outside to make sure there was no leaks before I insulated. I used them because I was living in Asheville North Carolina. I should have driven across country to fiber line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Virgil Jones said:
I also had a top put on the exact same place as Bob (FiberglassMe in NC) and his saying that it was an unpleasant experience is maybe the most kind thing I've ever heard ... it was much more than unpleasant!

How's the top itself as far as quality goes?   Do you think this would be a good outfit to buy it from if planning to install yourself,  or just best to avoid them entirely?

Every Road Leads Home said:
How's the top itself as far as quality goes?   Do you think this would be a good outfit to buy it from if planning to install yourself,  or just best to avoid them entirely?

The mold they make the top in is not really great. the top of the top is not flat at all and the sides have a few ins and outs of them. The guy spent hours grinding the bottom sides of the top to get it to fit on my Chevy van. One side is slightly lower than the other because of his bad job and that it didn't fit the chevy right to start with. It's just not very quality. And as Bob is finding out I wouldn't trust him. The guy is a very can do talker without the know-how. It turns out the place is a very old fiberglass fabrication place that probably in its heyday did well. But the place went out of business and the owner sold The business to the delivery driver for a dollar plus rental of the facility. That's who you're dealing with now.
I don't know if you have seen one put on the van or not, but even done right it's quite a job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to the folks on another forum, they let me know that there are two other high top options to consider. Both companies are in Colorado. The one I may go with is Opt Overland. Contact Dai at  [email protected]. They have a 14" and 24" hightop for Ford vans (both regular and extended). I was just quoted today a price of $1800 or $2100 for the 14" and 24" for my Ford E350 (reg).

The other place I know of is Colorado Camper Van (CCV). They are a bit pricier though ... about $4600 for my van.

I bought a mid height transit 250.Height is just right for shorter (5ft 7 or less) people. But is not one of the taller full height models. No add on means no leaks. Happy with it so far have been on a few trips, plan on full time in summer of 2018

I'm sure Bob will get everything taken care of. And I'm sorry for the inconvenience and unpleasantness experienced.

I just watched his Youtube recommendation video for vans (part 2.) He doesn't like the standard issue high tops because they're made by Ford (don't stand by their products), Mercedes Benz (complicated, expensive, and hard to find service), or Fiat Chrysler / Ram (no Fiat's for him, no other explanation.) So he recommends none of them.

I ended up with a high top Ram Promaster (extended length) to avoid the potential aftermarket high top installation grief that he is now going through. It is serving me well. No grief involved.

He has a new video about it.  He is not happy with that guy.

Sorry to hear about your experience Bob, but isn't it great being able to stand up and have additional storage?  The fiberglass doesn't seem to conduct heat as much as steel does (not sure if science bears that one out though) so it doesn't seem to get as hot inside.

I had this beast mounted on my 2015 Savana at Tufport back in May.  No leaks yet, and probably won't get any either as they used an epoxy to permanently attach it to the van, a fact that I'm rather displeased about.  Everything else is great and the service there was excellent.  There's 6'4" of head room in the rear and 6'2" in the front.  The cost was just under 5k Canadian including the windows, vent and installation.  I've been living in the van for two months now and absolutely love it.

Attachments

• 20170515_183620_HDR_resized.jpg
    20170515_183620_HDR_resized.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • 20170515_082814_resized.jpg
    20170515_082814_resized.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 20
I've seen Bob's part 1 video about his new hightop; I'm hoping in part 2 he mentions/explains what he plans to do to remedy the problems he''s experiencing now ...