Blower not blowing air through air vent

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonesalex

Reaction score
I have a gas furnace/air conditioning and I'm having an issue with the fan not blowing air through the air vents in the house. Does anyone have any idea what will be the cause and how can I fix it myself?

Welcome to the CRVL forums jonesalex! Our members are experienced in many fields so I'm sure someone will be able to help you with your question but are you aware that this forum deals mainly with living and traveling in vehicles, not living in stationary houses?

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Let's not censor more posts. just because they said house.
Check that the fan is turning, I have seen many broken loose belts. The filters could be blocked, it's rare to get that bad, but could slow the air flow. I found one yesterday where the sheet metal came apart in the duck work, most of the heated air was going in the crawl space, for two winters. Did you check the thermostat settings? (not the temperature set point)

Zil said:
Let's not censor more posts. just because they said house.
Check that the fan is turning, I have seen many broken loose belts. The filters could be blocked, it's rare to get that bad, but could slow the air flow. I found one yesterday where the sheet metal came apart in the duck work, most of the heated air was going in the crawl space, for two winters. Did you check the thermostat settings? (not the temperature set point)

I’ll definitely going through the suggested steps and thanks for your valuable response.

Have someone competent who understands the dangers of electricity help you with all this... because electricity can kill or cause fires.  Here's some basics.  First thing to check is if interior AC unit is plugged-in and there is power to the plug.  If no power to the plug, check for ground fault trips or circuit breaker.  If the interior fan is running you likely have a ducting issue and can disregard all the following and look into the ducting.  If the fan is not running it could be many things.  You'll need help of a technically competent person to check for an internal breaker switch or fuse inside the AC unit.  Assuming there is power to the internal circuit board it could be a bad circuit board, thermal limiting switches, or blower motor.  The circuit board controls the compressor too but you'll need an AC person to check the signal wire voltages.  Check if the exterior compressor unit and fan are running.  If the compressor is not running, check for power, cycle the circuit breaker switch.  Check the large fuses typically located in the power disconnect on the wall or a box near the compressor.  Sometimes one or both big fuses go bad but don't look bad, so it needs to be checked with a volt/ohm meter.    

A very common failure in AC units are with the multi-speed fan motors.  Mutli-speed electric motors are controlled by a circuit board mounted on the end of the motor and and they are notorious for going out and very expensive to replace.  In reality, there is typically one small thermistor soldered into the circuit board that burns out and kills the works.  The thermistor controls inrush of current to the motor start capacitors.  This can happen during a brown out or with voltage fluctuations like a power outage.  I had this happen during a power outage, and my compressor would run but the fan did not.  It was a $5 part and I repaired the circuit board myself.   AC techs won't fix the circuit board like I did because of liability and warranties, plus it's too much work for too little money.  A replacement circuit board only comes with a new motor and they want you to pay $1200 plus labor to replace the complete motor assembly.  Youtube has some how to videos... Good luck!