BLM lands and our "non-politics" rule?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txmnjim

Reaction score
I was looking through a pretty cool site about hunting/fishing on public lands
(https://www.backcountryhunters.org/) and i noticed an article about how the new
director of BLM actually is an advocate for selling public lands! anyhoo, that made 
me think there really should be (IMHO) a forum for discussing issues directly effecting
us and our way of life? surely we could do it in a respectful way that doesnt cause 
anger and hurt feelings? i'm afraid the alternative of ignoring threats to our way of life 
will lead to the loss of that life...
jim

I agree there should be a forum for discussing this subject and you know what there is, in fact there are a lot of them, but I is NOT this forum. highdesertranger

txmnjim said:
 surely we could do it in a respectful way that doesnt cause 
anger and hurt feelings? 

Meh, as a group we've already demonstrated, numerous times, that we can't. 

:angel: :mad: :angel: :mad:

Its pretty simple; anyone who is in favor of selling public land and lives in a van or camper primarily on public land is simply someone that has forfeited their ability and worth of discussing the subject with.

highdesertranger said:
I agree there should be a forum for discussing this subject and you know what there is,  in fact there are a lot of them,  but I is NOT this forum.  highdesertranger

I wish someone would point out links to such forums, especially those that are "more" political, and not simply anarchic anti-govt militant, but more geared towards responsible citizen action. I did a basic search on google but didn't seem to find the correct search terms. There are many ecological sites and hunting/fishing conservancy sites, but there must be some dealing specifically with politics and RV boondocking. 

Then when people try to bring politics onto this forum, they could be pointed to specific sites.

If you want specific to boondocking and politics, start a site if it is that important to you and you think there are that many people who would be interested. They are not that expensive (a few hundred).

No point in reinventing the wheel if such sites are already out there, like HDR says.

Personally, I'm not worried myself, as I don't see any big issue after spending a lifetime camping all over the place, and doing a lot of (non city) boondocking in the west over the past couple years, but others come along and start wailing about every little thing they hear about.

Chicken Littles are everywhere I fear.

Edit to add:  There should be a plethora of politically oriented sites out there.  I don't know any as I don't like those types of places.  I would think that a new thread on one of those sites with the BLM part here would be welcome.  It doesn't have to be exclusively boondocking but could be general access.

I believe things will, and always do, change. Now, in what way will it change and will the change effect BLM lands that are available to camp on? The way I understand it is that not all BLM land can be used by campers, there are designated areas for that use. Am I correct about this?

" I understand it is that not all BLM land can be used by campers..."

There is a section called Boondocking Reviews that has a lot of info on specific areas. In one post, HDR said: "all BLM land is open unless posted otherwise." So ...

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=37040

I would add that many places I have tried to find a boondocking spot in BLM land, there are fences all along the roadway, so no access in those places. Best to try and search out specific areas on the web.

EDIT: there are always places that are being closed temporarily (or long term) for various reasons: fire danger, and areas over used and trashed by squatters. Areas between Phoenix and Flagstaff seem to suffer from overuse and trashing to a large extent, eg Cottonwood, Prescott, Sedona, and north of Flagstaff, although I've not been there myself.

what I stated is true, that all BLM is open to camping unless posted.

however I should have added the disclaimer that certain groups like to tear signs and markers down. so it is your responsibility to know where you are at.

now please don't get all political over what I posted.

highdesertranger

Yep, they don't have to sell it to keep us out. Back in the 70s you could go just about anywhere on BLM lands. There was very little restrictions. Now I see lots of roads that have fences on both sides that prevent any access. They checker board BLM with State lands and lease them to cattle ranchers. BLM and State lands often "trade" with each other too. Cattle use to just roam freely over both without fences but more and more you see fencing. Cattle Ranchers have a lot of power. When they don't use fencing they sometimes use big rocks to prevent any access. BLM use to be free almost everywhere in the west but now they often charge to camp saying they need the fees for maintaining the campsite. Never use to be that way.

lots of mis-infomation here,

cattle ranchers cannot keep you of BLM land just because they have a grazing lease. this is false information. you can conduct any legal activity on grazing leases that you can do on other BLM land.

know where you are, who's land you are on, don't guess. if someone is trying to stop you from doing a legal activity on BLM land report them.

also a fence in and of itself means nothing. fences are meant to control the movement of livestock not people. it's perfectly legal for you to cross a fence line as long as it's on BLM land and not private property.

again know exactly where you are at and if someone tries to stop you from accessing BLM land, report them

now having said that do not destroy property, do not cut fences, leave gates as you find them. do not push the buttons of the locals. do not go there and try to tell them how to live. in other words don't go into a bar in a small cattle town and start spewing anti-ranching rhetoric.

I personally have never encountered any problems with cattle ranches, farmers, loggers, hunters, miners, or any other person that earns a living in the rural west. also I have never had a problem with BLM, Forest Service, County Sherriff or any other back county LEO's.

I would like to add. our family had a cattle ranch in California. it bordered a state park. let me tell you I have never seen more self entitle arrogant people then hikers, mountain bikers, Geo catchers, etc. we had to keep fences repaired almost on a daily basis from fence cutters. it was costing us a fortune. I have heard every lame BS excuse ever spewed out of someone's mouth as to why they were trespassing. I would not play games if I caught you the police were getting involved.

now before everyone gets all huffy I do realize that all hikers, mountain bikers and geo catchers are bad.

highdesertranger

I didn't say Ranchers keep you off of BLM land. I was attempting to say that BLM and State land policies of building fences that protect cattle ranching is often more important than our interests as campers. No misinformation at all. You have a habit of being snarky. Just saying.

B and C said:
Chicken Littles are everywhere I fear.

Edit to add:  There should be a plethora of politically oriented sites out there.  I don't know any as I don't like those types of places.  I would think that a new thread on one of those sites with the BLM part here would be welcome.  It doesn't have to be exclusively boondocking but could be general access.

nothing "chicken little" about this topic. it's a real threat and most seem to see it that way.

Time will tell. They may sell leases but not the land itself. One appointed guys position does not make it policy.

the Livelys, did you read my post? a fence means nothing as far as people are concerned you can cross a fence line as much as you want. if you are trying to say something else I don't understand. highdesertranger

txmnjim said:
it's a real threat and most seem to see it that way.
It's a real threat and a huge political issue, so my original post was that people should endeavor to find and link websites that deal with political issues.