BLM and restrooms

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

findingcoolwater

Reaction score
Can somebody enlighten me on the issues of restrooms on blm land?

I have a teardrop camper and found out that I must stay within 500 ft of a vaulted restroom while on blm land.  I can not seem to find a map that will show me where these type restrooms are located so that I can plan my trips as where I can stay.

Any help or suggestion other than give up camping all together or go buy an expensive RV.

Thanks

That restriction is only for the long term visitor area not all blm land.

findingcoolwater said:
I have a teardrop camper and found out that I must stay within 500 ft of a vaulted restroom while on blm land.

I don't understand.  

Are you saying you found out that by law you have to stay within 500' of a bathroom, or that for personal / physical / health reasons you have to stay near a bathroom?

LIke Rob said it's only for the Long Term Visitor Area ( Arizona and California).  I've heard that they are strict about enforcing the rule but there are so many other places to camp on BLM and forest lands that you don't have to be concerned about the LTVAs.

Here is the exact rule:

Sec. 17. Self-Contained Vehicles
a. In Pilot Knob, Midland, Tamarisk, and Hot Springs LTVAs, you may camp only in self-contained camping units. The La Posa, Imperial Dam, and Mule Mountain LTVAs are restricted to self-contained camping units, except within 500 feet of a vault toilet or rest room.
b. Self-contained camping units must have a permanent affixed waste water holding tank of 10-gallon minimum capacity. BLM does not consider port-a-potty systems, or systems that utilize portable holding tanks, or permanent holding tanks of less than 10-gallon capacity, to be self-contained.

If you want to read all of the rules for the LTVAs - https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...s-within-all-arizona-and-california-long-term

Thanks Guys,

Funny, I just tossed a dart at the board for some BLM fun and this location came up, thought I would check it out, no idea it would turn into such a fiasco. My learning curve.

I'll just stay away from LTVA's. got it...

...Welll, I'd say a 5 gallon bucket is less than 10 gallons... :dodgy: