Best way to check forecast of a large area

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemini1771

Reaction score
What’s your go-to source to look at larger weather patterns/ possible weather issues in areas you’re traveling to? I can’t find radar that really predicts weather and warns of potential issues (like tornadoes). I use a variety of sources (weather bug, weather fit com, weather underground…) to check forecasts for individual areas, but I haven’t found a great way to get a good idea of potential weather issues in a larger cross-state area. Any suggestions? Thanks!

I also like NOAA, and their app will issue an alert based on my location if there is severe weather headed my way.
Could you tell me specifically what app you are using? There does not seem to be an official NOAA app.

For large areas or to see large scale weather patterns I use Ventusky. For weather radar and local forecasts I use AccuWeather and Weather Underground. Weather Bug is another.

I do have the NOAA app on my iPhone but find it slow, annoying and cumbersome to use. Website will only work if you have internet and have it running (otherwise no watches/warnings).
I get weather watches and warnings from AccuWeather before NOAA shows up on my phone.

I also have a weather radio for when out of cell range; my weather radio will alert me for watches/warnings.
I can get weather information on my inReach ($) but I don't get warnings unprompted.

What’s your go-to source to look at larger weather patterns/ possible weather issues in areas you’re traveling to?
Windy.com
Temperatures, storms, wind speed/direction, precipitation etc. Hour to hour, or 10 day forecast. Great app for computer and phone.
Fast and agile. It is free.

I don’t know the maker, it says WeatherSphere at the bottom of my settings page.

I do have an IPhone so it likely came from the apple store.
Thanks. I don't see anything from Weathersphere.

I do have an app I like called "my radar". It gives live satellite views of storm systems and will alert for various events.