best roof fan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that the MaxFan is the gold standard.....but could it be too much for van? The opening is 12" x 12" and it would move a lot of air. I thought about getting one, and decided to go with something smaller. It uses very little watts and seem very popular for vans.

Ventline VP-543 12V Smoke Van Roof Air Vent

One of the three roof vents in my Tioga is a Maxair MAXXFAN, that I installed after a wind blew the cracked open vent cover clean off. Fortunate that happened at home base and I was living in my travel trailer.

Probably newer models all have this feature, the MAXXFAN cover can be locked in place. Without the lock, with variable winds that cause the cover to flutter, the cover then may open wide or close up.

I'm planning on replacing the other two with MAXXFANs. Much quieter in operation, and with up to date electronics, instead of massive resistors and wire coils to control speed.

The old ones will decide that they want snooze for a while, and won't run. Wait a while and then they work.

Tony\ said:
I agree that the MaxFan is the gold standard.....but could it be too much for  van?  The opening is 12" x 12" and it would move a lot of air.  I thought about getting one, and decided to go with something smaller.  It uses very little watts and seem very popular for vans. 

Let us know how that thing works out for you.

I am not sure just what Maxxair fan I have but I love it. It's so quiet on low that people have sat on my couch and insisted the it wasn't running until I turned it off and they saw the blades stop. So quiet that I walk directly under it when I close up the trailer at night and still forget to shut it down. At 6'4" I really am directly under it too.

My fan is exhaust only, 3 speeds plus off, motorized lift with a rain sensor.

I install these. The hole is 14x14. You need to account for 17 or so inches on the outside, the inside trim adds over a inch all the way around the hole. The length of the version with the rain guard is more like 26 inches, factor that in when deciding where panels go.

Tony\ said:

I installed one of these in my pickup topper...and it works OK there. Let me tell you a few things about these fans. If not helpful to you, then maybe others will find this information useful.

First off, they use a very inefficient and noisy straight (or slightly curved) blade centrifugal impeller. It's not really a 'fan' in the conventional sense. More like a 'blower'. Straight blade centrifugal impellers typically can't ever be used for intake...if you reverse the polarity and the motor runs backwards, it will STILL push the air out.

They only have one speed. So, I added a dropping resistor and a 2-way switch so that I can have a LOW setting. 

They use a 12v 'hobby motor'...not a brushless motor like the other fans we have been talking about here.

'Hobby motor' is the term used for these super cheap brush-type motors that you often find in some cheap battery-operated toys. Typically the lifespan of a good quality brushless motor with ball bearings will be decades, but a 'hobby motor' will have cheap brass or copper brushes and steel or brass shaft bushings, and will have a lifespan of a year or two depending on how much it is used..or maybe years if it is used sparingly. So they do sell replacement motors...for around $50 last time I checked...and it's a $2 made-in-china motor.

These Ventline fans actually work OK for a vent in a bathroom, where it will be used for 10 or 15 minutes a day, but for overnight use, 8 hours or so while sleeping, they will drive you nuts being so noisy and they wont last very long.

So as long as you know all that BEFORE you cut that 6" round opening, I say, give it a go!

:cool:

Looking for advice on a cost-effective roof fan. Confused by all the options. We have a Chevy Express passenger van, so there are 4 windows in the back that tilt out just a couple of inches. We are comparing the MaxxAir and Fantastic Fans. I don't know that a remote is that important for us but rain cover seems like it might be. We will have to tie the fan power it into the van battery or get a secondary battery to run the fan. Is the draw such that tying it into vehicle battery would be okay to run it all night? Right now we run a small fan from the cigarette lighter all night and that doesn't drain the vehicle battery.

Also, we still have passenger van headliner in the van and know we will have to cut through that and roof of van. We were hoping we don't have to remove the entire headliner but are unsure. Anyone done this?
This is what I did on my Dodge Grand Caravan...I looked at the Mazz and Fan tastics but were wway too much money here is the link <iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/po...sts/5058276887539825&show_text=true&width=500" width="500" height="795" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

Looking for advice on a cost-effective roof fan. Confused by all the options. We have a Chevy Express passenger van, so there are 4 windows in the back that tilt out just a couple of inches. We are comparing the MaxxAir and Fantastic Fans. I don't know that a remote is that important for us but rain cover seems like it might be. We will have to tie the fan power it into the van battery or get a secondary battery to run the fan. Is the draw such that tying it into vehicle battery would be okay to run it all night? Right now we run a small fan from the cigarette lighter all night and that doesn't drain the vehicle battery.

Also, we still have passenger van headliner in the van and know we will have to cut through that and roof of van. We were hoping we don't have to remove the entire headliner but are unsure. Anyone done this?
Here is what I did total cost including temp controlled thermostat was about $130..way cheaper then the Mazz or Fantastics..Didn't have to take out headliner at all and it looks great once one puts the plastic liner on both sides..the thermostat is great I can set it for what ever temp I want..I have a Diesel heater and wanted a way to keep temps at specific sleeping range while heater was running all night

Attachments

• 20211128_134341.jpg
    20211128_134341.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 4
  • VID_20211129_163745.mp4
    16 MB
So we went with the MaxxAir Deluxe fan based on so many recommendations. Now to get it installed! We are just waiting for a rain free day. We have watched numerous YouTube videos and read and re-read the directions. We will be installing it in a converted passenger van with the original headliner in place. We are adding a wooden frame built of 1 x 3 inch wood to the inside for attaching the fan and inside flange. I am guessing that we should just cut the headliner with a utility knife from the inside before cutting the roof hole. We have the location marked out to avoid the roof supports. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Any tips or advice? Thanks![/font]
drill the 4 corners from the top down so you know exactly where you are cutting inside..Best to cut from top own

I've had my passenger van conversion since 2014. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't put in a roof vent. I made screens for my popup windows and that provides plenty of ventilation. If there's no breeze I can put a USB or 110volt fan in one of the windows. In the SW USA, plastic on your roof doesn't last long. It was constantly rattling when I drive. The screen only lasted a couple years. I have a new vent but didn't install it because I knew it wouldn't last long. Instead I installed a vent cover. However that greatly reduces ventilation. Also at night if you're in the city, light coming from a roof vent indicates someone is likely in the van. In the past I've blacked out the vent at night. Even without light, the RV vent cover makes my van look more like a camper.

So as long as you know all that BEFORE you cut that 6" round opening, I say, give it a go!

It was cheap so I figured it was not top of the line. :) I thought if I started with a small 6" hole and it didn't work out, I could cut a larger hole to fit a max fan....starting out with a 12" square hole and you are stuck with it. I installed a window next to the bed and when I turn on the fan I do feel a slight breeze coming in the window. I mainly use it to exchange air when it's hot in the back, not really intending to run it all night. I also pop it up to allow my body heat to escape and reduce any moisture inside. I have a small rechargeable fan to circulate the air inside. I have only used it once since I installed it, so time will tell.