Best places to go out West for vehicle dwelling?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anon

Reaction score
I wanted, and still do, want to stay closer to my family here in the Southeast, but I'm not sure how friendly of a place Chattanooga is for vehicle dwelling, probably not very, and an extended stay hotel there costs around $1,200 a month. I'm willing to try and make it work for my family's sake, but looking at my budget, if I made a minimum of $16 an hour, and cut my food budget down to $100 a month, I still would only have about $450 - $600 a month leftover.

Knowing me, I don't think I could survive only having $450 saved a month. I mean I could, and I would, because my survival would depend on it, but I'd rather not put myself in that position.

Whereas if I just lived out of my vehicle, I would save at LEAST $1,500 a month, which is crazy!

So I was wondering, in case the South isn't an option, what's a good beginner-friendly place out West this time of year for vehicle living? I'd rather avoid trouble with the authorities or property owners and do as little sneaking as much as possible.

I wanted, and still do, want to stay closer to my family here in the Southeast, but I'm not sure how friendly of a place Chattanooga is for vehicle dwelling, probably not very, and an extended stay hotel there costs around $1,200 a month. I'm willing to try and make it work for my family's sake, but looking at my budget, if I made a minimum of $16 an hour, and cut my food budget down to $100 a month, I still would only have about $450 - $600 a month leftover.

Knowing me, I don't think I could survive only having $450 saved a month. I mean I could, and I would, because my survival would depend on it, but I'd rather not put myself in that position.

Whereas if I just lived out of my vehicle, I would save at LEAST $1,500 a month, which is crazy!

So I was wondering, in case the South isn't an option, what's a good beginner-friendly place out West this time of year for vehicle living? I'd rather avoid trouble with the authorities or property owners and do as little sneaking as much as possible.
Saving $450 a month is better than many, so its up to you. I would also think it would be hard to work a regular job and continue to live in a Van. But people do it.

Others will know better than I. But BLM and state/Fed parks are plentiful. I do most of my adventuring in the NE upstate NY Main VA, WV TN. Never made it down to GA, or even out West. Most parks have a small fee for 2 weeks of stay, while others you can just drive in and stay with no fee.

So I was wondering, in case the South isn't an option, what's a good beginner-friendly place out West this time of year for vehicle living?
Wouldn't it have to be close to wherever you can earn $16/hour?

There are places in the southeast where you can camp for little or no $, tho not necessarily in Chattanooga nor any other town of any size.

Might look at an app such as AllStays, that has campgrounds of all types, all over the country, and see what may be near you.

In the meantime, there are surely less expensive places to live than extended stay hotels.

Socially and politically liberal areas tend to be more accommodating of alternative living, and cops are nicer. Wages will tend to be lower as well, because they attract a lot of young people; supply and demand. It's hard to know how difficult it will be to find a place to park where you won't be harassed and can get a good night's rest. If you have a steady employer they may let you park overnight.

I think finding a good spot climate-wise is a good idea, then spend a few days checking out the area for jobs, parking, and general vibe. If you stay in an area, definitely get a gym membership. There aren't many places in the US that have a good year-round climate, and since you are going to be in a FJ Cruiser, I'd just plan on doing winters and summers in different places. Makes it easier.

For researching towns and climate, City Data is good: https://www.city-data.com/#data

More climate data: https://wrcc.dri.edu/Climsum.html

Cool works.com has several job opportunities that include housing or full hookup sites. When I visit family I park on their property or street to sleep at night and use day use areas or work parking during the days I’m not with them. Simple really.

I wanted, and still do, want to stay closer to my family here in the Southeast, but I'm not sure how friendly of a place Chattanooga is for vehicle dwelling, probably not very,

So I was wondering, in case the South isn't an option, what's a good beginner-friendly place out West this time
Are you looking for an excuse to move West? If you think that vehicle dwelling isn't possible in the south and southeast you're wrong. Period. Granted there are LTVs in Arizona and BLM land to camp on out west. But extended stays in urban areas are absolutely possible in cities east of the Mississippi. And my van isn't as "stealth" as your vehicle.

If you want to move out west, go ahead; you don't need an excuse. But don't imagine difficulties in your head that don't exist.

Are you looking for an excuse to move West? If you think that vehicle dwelling isn't possible in the south and southeast you're wrong. Period. Granted there are LTVs in Arizona and BLM land to camp on out west. But extended stays in urban areas are absolutely possible in cities east of the Mississippi. And my van isn't as "stealth" as your vehicle.

If you want to move out west, go ahead; you don't need an excuse. But don't imagine difficulties in your head that don't exist.

I really am looking for excuses to move out West, but I'm also looking for reasons not to.

All of my family is in the Midsouth and I don't want to leave them behind, but I hate the South with a passion. Not really the people I meet at work, but just the culture and lifestyle and the area I live in.

The weather sucks, everything is a parking lot or a highway, there's lots of private property, it's hard to find like-minded people, being a late 20-something man my dating options are nil, the only job and career prospects are usually just being a factory drone through a temp agency (which I wouldn't mind if I lived in a better area that balances that out), and the only two reasons I haven't left yet is concern for my family, and worrying that $3,000 isn't enough money to make a safe move with considering my car note of about $560 a month.

Staying in an extended stay hotel eats into my savings big time, and the last time I tried staying with my father I developed a drug dependency of Benadryl, caffeine, and ***, and it made it where I could just barely pass a drug test for awhile. Had to move into a hotel room just to get quality sleep and get off the stuff.

Go to cool works.com get a seasonal job somewhere you will enjoy being, there are plenty of people like you out here doing it and saving money while doing so.

I really am looking for excuses to move out West, but I'm also looking for reasons not to.

All of my family is in the Midsouth and I don't want to leave them behind, but I hate the South with a passion. Not really the people I meet at work, but just the culture and lifestyle and the area I live in.

The weather sucks, everything is a parking lot or a highway, there's lots of private property, it's hard to find like-minded people, being a late 20-something man my dating options are nil, the only job and career prospects are usually just being a factory drone through a temp agency (which I wouldn't mind if I lived in a better area that balances that out), and the only two reasons I haven't left yet is concern for my family, and worrying that $3,000 isn't enough money to make a safe move with considering my car note of about $560 a month.

Staying in an extended stay hotel eats into my savings big time, and the last time I tried staying with my father I developed a drug dependency of Benadryl, caffeine, and ***, and it made it where I could just barely pass a drug test for awhile. Had to move into a hotel room just to get quality sleep and get off the stuff.
Well, here's my unsolicited advice.

Leave. Life is too short to hate where you live. You have to grow up and choose your own life sometime, and there's no time like the present.

It's true that $3000 isn't a sufficient emergency fund. So set some goals and make a plan. Especially make a plan about getting rid of that car payment. Get serious about finding a way to cut your living expenses to the bone. And then get serious about looking for work in a western state.

Your family may moan, groan, cry, and gnash their teeth. At your age, all the more reason to strike out on your own.

Pick one or two times each year to visit the southeast. Maybe around the holidays, maybe around the weather.

I can tank the care payments and pay it off faster if I stay with family or live out of my vehicle, which was part of the entire point of moving out West.

I think finding a job through CoolWorks that provides housing or at least a place to park and sleep would be a possible solution. The jobs may not be related to my skillset at all, but it would be an opportunity to learn how to be more social and adaptive.

Yet as crazy of a place as it is, I really miss living in Baja. Even if it means dealing with the madness that's SoCal. No other place has ever come quite as close to feeling like home to me.

I think I'm just torturing myself over the fact that I want to make a move for myself that my family won't be happy about. I'll figure it out.

Last edited:
A fledgling needs to leave the nest if he wants to learn how to fly.
Families sometimes have a hard time letting go; they get over it.
Its to easy today to keep in touch: cell phone, e-mail, social media, . . .

.... and worrying that $3,000 isn't enough money to make a safe move with considering my car note of about $560 a month.
How much on top of that $560 car payment is your car insurance? Do you have health insurance costs? If you leave your job and then don't have insurance, that's risky. Or expensive with the ACA. Student loan pyts. are scheduled to start again in May. Food,gas,phone,etc,etc. all add up. An FJ40 doesn't exactly sip gas. Does it have any kind of warranty?

I'd say you need to save for a while longer since you will have so much debt. $3000 isn't much of a cushion even if you don't have to spend on car repairs. I'm not sure what kind of job you are wanting to get but you would need to find one pretty quickly. Workamping jobs in general won't be available until May or so.

Have you checked airBnB for lower housing costs in your area? Check craigslist for places you can park where you can hook up an electric heater. Offer to pay them a couple hundred $/mo. Then you can see what it's like living in an SUV while saving on rent. It's only a couple more months until Spring. I wouldn't get too antsy but then I've done just that in years past. Think it through...

Last edited:
How much on top of that $560 car payment is your car insurance? Do you have health insurance costs? If you leave your job and then don't have insurance, that's risky. Or expensive with the ACA. Student loan pyts. are scheduled to start again in May. Food,gas,phone,etc,etc. all add up. An FJ40 doesn't exactly sip gas. Does it have any kind of warranty?

I'd say you need to save for a while longer since you will have so much debt. $3000 isn't much of a cushion even if you don't have to spend on car repairs. I'm not sure what kind of job you are wanting to get but you would need to find one pretty quickly. Workamping jobs in general won't be available until May or so.

Have you checked airBnB for lower housing costs in your area? Check craigslist for places you can park where you can hook up an electric heater. Offer to pay them a couple hundred $/mo. Then you can see what it's like living in an SUV while saving on rent. It's only a couple more months until Spring. I wouldn't get too antsy but then I've done just that in years past. Think it through...
Yes! I actually do see some more affordable AirBnBs for under $600. At the very least, there are AirBnBs that cost as much a month as an extended stay hotel, possibly with less BS.

And yes I do think I should save up a bit more. I just don't know why it's so hard to be patient. I guess just because I've made so many mistakes and have gotten screwed over so many times and I feel like I should be further along by now.

But I guess if I feel like I should have at least $6,000 by now, and I have $3,000 instead, then I should spend more time figuring out why, rather than rushing off out of fear of missing some, opportunity.

I keep thinking if I don't get to AZ before summer, then it'll be too late, but honestly, it sounds like almost nowhere is ideal weather-wise any time of the year.

i moved out from Houston, Tx 16 yrs ago to Minnesota (very long story but it all seemed to fill a desire i had going at the time). i live in a pretty cool area except winters are a little extreme, found a pretty good job. the family is what i miss the most and unfortunately you never get to see them enough as it always costs the dinero. its alway pretty hard to undo whats been done as well. long story short. you are young and thats a plus so you do have your whole life ahead of you. good luck on your adventures!
jim

Yes! I actually do see some more affordable AirBnBs for under $600. At the very least, there are AirBnBs that cost as much a month as an extended stay hotel, possibly with less BS.

And yes I do think I should save up a bit more. I just don't know why it's so hard to be patient. I guess just because I've made so many mistakes and have gotten screwed over so many times and I feel like I should be further along by now.

But I guess if I feel like I should have at least $6,000 by now, and I have $3,000 instead, then I should spend more time figuring out why, rather than rushing off out of fear of missing some, opportunity.

I keep thinking if I don't get to AZ before summer, then it'll be too late, but honestly, it sounds like almost nowhere is ideal weather-wise any time of the year.

AZ isn't going anywhere, it will still be right where it is now for some time to come.

Make a plan. Start working it. Yes, your plan could well change. Make one anyway.

From what I can see, you are just spinning your wheels by coming up with a lot of "what ifs". Stop that. Make a plan and start working it

AZ isn't going anywhere, it will still be right where it is now for some time to come.

Make a plan. Start working it. Yes, your plan could well change. Make one anyway.

From what I can see, you are just spinning your wheels by coming up with a lot of "what ifs". Stop that. Make a plan and start working it

Every major city in Arizona (including Phoenix) has tons of camping nearby. You will find no dearth of spots to camp there.