Best Heater for Car Overnight?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatsyG

Reaction score
I would like to visit Quartzsite, but no van yet, just a 98 Chevy Lumina. Llittle Mr Buddy looks like it would tip over and only lasts for 41/2 hours. Need a way to get warm while I am not driving. Suggestions?

well no doubt you want to prepare for cold weather. day time temps at RTR should be around 70. but it is winter in the desert so you never know. highdesertranger

PatsyG,

Go with a good sleeping bag and when your changing start the car fir a few minutes for some heat. This is what I do all winter.

Brent

It's been going down to the low 30's here in Ehrenburg and I don't have a heater for the van yet.

I've been quite comfortable sleeping during the night although getting up in the morning is a little bit chilly... :rolleyes:

When I know it's going down to the 30ish mark I start off the night in microfleece thermal top and bottom that I bought at Marks Work Warehouse last year. Add a pair of MaxHeat socks and a fleece hoodie sweater and I'm snuggly warm in a bed with a duvet and an extra fleece blanket over top.

The hoodie keeps my head warm and I mostly end up shedding the socks sometime during the night although I hunt them down when I have to get up in the middle of the night to use the facilities.. :)

I also put reflectix in the windows to help keep the cold out and heat in.

Evenings and first thing in the morning are when the heater is needed most, not for when in bed.

Just like up north, clothing is everything. Bring your winter woolies and you'll be fine.

Oberneldon said:
PatsyG,

Go with a good sleeping bag and when your changing start the car fir a few minutes for some heat. This is what I do all winter.

Brent

Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

Almost There said:
It's been going down to the low 30's here in Ehrenburg and I don't have a heater for the van yet.

I've been quite comfortable sleeping during the night although getting up in the morning is a little bit chilly... :rolleyes:

When I know it's going down to the 30ish mark I start off the night in microfleece thermal top and bottom that I bought at Marks Work Warehouse last year. Add a pair of MaxHeat socks and a fleece hoodie sweater and I'm snuggly warm in a bed with a duvet and an extra fleece blanket over top.

The hoodie keeps my head warm and I mostly end up shedding the socks sometime during the night although I hunt them down when I have to get up in the middle of the night to use the facilities.. :)

I also put reflectix in the windows to help keep the cold out and heat in.

Evenings and first thing in the morning are when the heater is needed most, not for when in bed.

Just like up north, clothing is everything. Bring your winter woolies and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the report. I thought about mornings and evenings, too. It seems my tolerences for heat and cold get narrower every year (I'm 71).

Just don't want to keep missing out on the fun.

By the way, I've been following your trip, glad you're there.

Clothing and bedding is everything, I'm under 90 pounds so my cold tolerance is practically nill. I find wearing a onesie, whether as PJs or over clothing to be the most comfortable--it's like wearing a blanket!

I got a good solid 0 degree sleeping bag for $50, layered a cheap 45 degree sleeping bag I got on sale on top of it when that's not enough, and put a microfleece sleeping bag liner inside of it to keep it clean when sleeping naked. This winter is colder than the last so now I have two onesies I can layer as needed for hanging around or seeping. They look silly but they're super warm!

I also pull the smaller sleeping bag over me when I'm just hanging out in the front seat for whatever reason. When it's down in my lap no one seems to notice and it helps keep me warm.

I've never used heat. I had a Class C and never turned the heat on. Bought a buddy heater from a friend and gave it away 2 weeks later. Now, I'm in a van. In the winter I bundle up at night and I'm comfy. Yup. It's chilly in the morning, but not for long.

Park your vehicle facing east and the minute the sun comes up, the sun in the window will warm up the vehicle

Of course, this is only in the south. I can't imagine trying to keep warm in the a real winter environment.

For sleeping:
 - eat something just before bed.  Will warm you up.
 - wear a hat.
 - a hot water bottle can help keep your feet warm for a long time at night.

For morning and evening:
 - a few exercises will warm you up.
 - sitting in a sleeping bag will keep your lower body warm.  I have an old sleeping bag that I cut an arm hole in the non zippered side.  Can snug it up around my neck and keep my core warm and still use my arms.  Wear a sweater or jacket to keep your arms warm and gloves if you must.

Be very careful with a portable heater in a car.  Not a lot of clearance for the heater and a lot of flammable materials around.

-- Spiff

cyndi said:
Park your vehicle facing east and the minute the sun comes up, the sun in the window will warm up the vehicle

Of course, this is only in the south. I can't imagine trying to keep warm in the a real winter environment.

Yes, facing east is a good idea, why didn't I think of that.

I would do a lot to not be in a real winter environment unless in a motel room in Flagstaff because I just really wanted to see the snow again.

Spaceman Spiff said:
For sleeping:
 - eat something just before bed.  Will warm you up.
 - wear a hat.
 - a hot water bottle can help keep your feet warm for a long time at night.

For morning and evening:
 - a few exercises will warm you up.
 - sitting in a sleeping bag will keep your lower body warm.  I have an old sleeping bag that I cut an arm hole in the non zippered side.  Can snug it up around my neck and keep my core warm and still use my arms.  Wear a sweater or jacket to keep your arms warm and gloves if you must.

Be very careful with a portable heater in a car.  Not a lot of clearance for the heater and a lot of flammable materials around.

-- Spiff

Thanks for all the really good suggestions.

Got to buy a hot water bottle.

PatsyG said:
Got to buy a hot water bottle.

I just use a 1 liter Nalgene water bottle.  Works well in a wool sock.  Even a 1 or 2 l pop bottle would work.

-- Spiff

I have a lap cat.  We keep each other warm.   :cool:

gsfish said:
I am having trouble visualizing this. Would you please post a picture of you demonstrating the functions of the modified bag?

Guy

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Spaceman Spiff Wrote: https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Best-Heater-for-Car-Overnight?pid=172510#pid172510[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] - sitting in a sleeping bag will keep your lower body warm.  I have an old sleeping bag that I cut an arm hole in the non zippered side.  Can snug it up around my neck and keep my core warm and still use my arms. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]-- Spiff[/font]

Attachments

• gumby.jpg
    gumby.jpg
    134.4 KB
I'm going to be living solo in my car come january, and I plan on getting a few of these.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Hand-Warmer/36858974

a friend of mine told me about them, and I bought a couple. they work for 12hrs on lighter fluid. I used them in an rv over the colder months before we got a heater.
I tucked one under my blanket, under my lower back (can we say awesome pain relief), and woke up in a sweat. but so toasty warm. they worked so well, that they poofed into the neither that is the comunity I currently live in.

I plan on leaving a window cracked, and one of these propped up on my dash, and one in my back. I will also have a furry companion to help with keeping me warm.