Best connector(s) for portable panel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 423

Reaction score
What is the best connector for hooking up a portable panel?   I will be splicing into the wires from the panel that's mounted on the roof and then routing to a weatherproof box like this (or similar):

box.png

This box will set into the plastic license plate frame on my van:

0419201226-01.jpg

Then the tag will be mounted on a spring loaded hinge so it will close over the box when not in use. The box is designed for a duplex receptacle, so the other side I want to wire in an AC connector of some sort to connect shore power to my batt charger.

Attachments

• 0419201226-01.jpg
    0419201226-01.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 5
  • box.png
    box.png
    105 KB · Views: 3
I vote for anderson powerpole connectors. They have self cleaning contacts so not sure you even need a big box to put the connection in.

HighDesertRanger uses them. I would trust anything he has to say about them.

slow2day said:
What is the best connector for hooking up a portable panel?   I will be splicing into the wires from the panel that's mounted on the roof and then routing to a weatherproof box like this (or similar):

The box is designed for a duplex receptacle, so the other side I want to wire in an AC connector of some sort to connect shore power to my batt charger.

You're describing two different uses here but this is what I did for each of them.

My solar panels (2) each came with MC4 connectors. I added MC4 pigtail extensions to them so I had open wires. These were each wired on to male outdoor plugs. These plug in to a 3 way outdoor extension and then on to a regular heavy duty extension cord. Both ends of the extension cord and the male end of the 3 way had to be rewired with replacement parts to ensure polarity was maintained. The cord is plugged in to a Marinco inlet mounted on the bumper of my van.

It is absolutely imperative  that you wire from the MC4 connector following polarity all the way. The three prong outdoor replacement plugs make this fairly easy to do but the key to it all is the see through 3 way extension. The Marinco inlet is the wired through to the solar controller.

For shore power I also  used a Marinco inlet on the bumper. It is wired to a sub-panel in the van and then on to the various circuits including the one that feeds the battery charger.

Make sure that if you use the Marinco inlets that you label each for solar and 120.

xt60 is the only connector I use for everything. You can get 10 pair for about 6 dollars, just require a solder iron to put together. They can handle up to 60 amps, are easy to connect and disconnect and no way to connect in reverse. I use them on my 240 watt solar panel, so they will easily work on a smaller panel. I never use the mc4 connectors. For the price they can't be beat. They also sell panel mount xt60, that you screw into a panel.

Picture of xt60 on my solar input box, which goes into my 220ah lifepo4 battery.

xt60 connector large a.jpg

xt60 connectors

xt60 connectors.jpg

Attachments

• xt60 connector large a.jpg
    xt60 connector large a.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 10
  • xt60 connectors.jpg
    xt60 connectors.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 2
Almost There said:
My solar panels (2) each came with MC4 connectors. I added MC4 pigtail extensions to them so I had open wires. These were each wired on to male outdoor plugs. These plug in to a 3 way outdoor extension and then on to a regular heavy duty extension cord. Both ends of the extension cord and the male end of the 3 way had to be rewired with replacement parts to ensure polarity was maintained. The cord is plugged in to a Marinco inlet mounted on the bumper of my van.

For shore power I also  used a Marinco inlet on the bumper. It is wired to a sub-panel in the van and then on to the various circuits including the one that feeds the battery charger.

Make sure that if you use the Marinco inlets that you label each for solar and 120.

That's a good idea to use an extension cord and I've ordered the MC4's with pigtails. I already have a heavy duty 10' extension cord that I will cut the female plug off of and then splice the pigtails into. This will plug into a weatherproof 3-prong receptacle I found sold by Journeyman-Pro. Yes, I'm down pat with the polarity thing but thanks for the headsup.

The plug setup for the charger will be a waterproof receptacle sold by NOCO that a shore power or generator cord will connect to. It's basically a short extension cord with one end mounting on a panel (my tag enclosure). It has male prongs, so there's no chance of getting the two cords mixed up:

Noco ext.jpg

BTW: What kind of portable panels do you use?   I'm going to be using a regular 80W that I will build a case for and add some kind of bracket so I can adjust it for angle.

Attachments

• Noco ext.jpg
    Noco ext.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 2
Tom_M said:
A fellow camper just purchased two 100 watt panels from Home Depot for $69.99 each.

WindyNation 100 watt panel

Yeah, I saw those on HD's site but my other panel is monocrystalline and I wasn't sure if it's OK to mix the types.

Also, since it will be portable, I wanted a smaller panel so it's easier to move around. The 80W I bought is a foot shorter and a few inches narrower than the 100W and a little lighter.  The lower output I hope to offset by adjusting the angle to track the sun better. The present 100W panel is mounted flat on the roof, so I know that's not too efficient. Eventually I'll add a bracket so I can adjust that one,too.

Thanks for the connector recommendations B and C, JonyJoe and HDR.

After Almost There's suggestion and some googling, I decided it would be better to use the weatherproof receptacles instead of the box + connectors.

those crimpers do not have a Power Pole die set. stern wake said you could crimp the Power Poles with regular crimpers but it was tricky he said it was real easy to mess them up. with the correct die set crimping them is easy it's basically a no brainer. the crimper holds the terminal in the correct orientation. here's the set I got,

https://powerwerx.com/tricrimp-powerpole-connector-crimping-tool

highdesertranger

DLTooley said:
What about crimpers?

I purchased this multiple die model to
handle various types, but I haven’t tried it on Powerpoles yet. 

IWISS Crimping Tool Kits with Wire Stripper and Cable Cutters Suitable for Non-insulated & Insulated Cable End-sleeves Terminals or Ferrules with 5 Ch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y7M7SG6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_V5CHB6gNvZhBL

I've been making do with an old garden variety crimper I've had for years.  It probably would be a good idea to get a newer one with plenty of crunch.

How about splicing?   I need to splice #12 wires into the #10 wires that go from panel to controller.

I know there are MC4 splice/branch connectors I could use but the main wires would need to be cut.

So I thought I would use small copper split bolts.   These splices would be inside the van so they don't need to be weatherproof.

split.jpg

Attachments

• split.jpg
    split.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0
they make step butt connectors, one side 12 the other 10. myself I would use a terminal strip. highdesertranger

Well, I'm thinking that leaving the #10 feed wires from the main panel intact would be good.

So I'm wanting to strip the insulation from the #10s and splice into them.

They do have the crimp on T-splice connectors (snap lock) for tapping into a wire but those seem flakey.