Best compact camping chair?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the early spring visit stores like Target, Home Depot, CVS when they first put out their seasonal outdoor living furniture. About 3 years ago we scored inexpensive steel framed chairs with webbing that are comfortable and fold compactly to fit in our van.

I have only found one folding chair I liked for comfort, , the Coleman with the side table, but it is too bulky for storing. So I use  exta added padfing to adapt the comfort of a relatively inexpensive camping chair and that has worked well for me. Adding padding to adjust the back support and on the seat solved my comfort issues. The seats on those chaits always cut into my thighs at the front edge of the seat so a small cushion to sit on solved that. Not enough lumbar suport in the right place was also solved  with a small pillow.

No need to search the world for the perfect fit in the perfect chair, just be more adaptable.

Post 22 above from Nataliee links to a vogel article with amazon affiliate links. The coleman chair amazon link top review is from a Kristin B., and is the same exact wording in the first paragraph as Nataliee above...interesting.

"Towards the end of last summer, my husband and I needed to get some new chairs for when we sit outside or go somewhere since our old ones were worn out. I did some searching on here and these were the first ones that stuck out to me. I've known for awhile that the Coleman brand has a good reputation and I was pretty interested in these chairs since they have a lot of features and didn't cost a ton of money. We ended up purchasing the blue chair and the black chair."

I have found the large studio fold flat type chairs with two loops instead of four legs or bottom supports at the bottom of the side legs to work best for us as they are rated for more weight. They sit against the wall at the end of the bed upright held with a bungee cord and two eye bolts in the wall for easy storing and accessibility. If I could find a way to store the fixed mesh patio chairs Walmart sells for cheap I would use those. They only last a couple years in Arizona sun but are really comfortable.

I travel in Kia Soul, so I needed something small enough to store in a very tight space.

I got a Helinox Sunset Chair.

33aa426c-ac1b-4e45-8906-53d72d91ccbd

https://www.rei.com/product/158003/helinox-sunset-chair

It wasn't cheap, but it's surprisingly comfortable and collapses down to a nice, compact package for storage.

Get the old tried and tested aluminum lawn chair. You can get an XL version that is American made for $69, well worth it, super comfortable, light, folds up and easy to get out of. Sold on Amazon.  Many colors...

I'm on my 4th Coleman Max chair. The wind took my last one into a camp fire. They are very sturdy but the fabric part eventually succumbs to the desert sun. I'll be buying another one when this one wears out.

We carry our chairs outside tied to the ladder and since we also leave them at the camp sight to 'hold' the sight we don't want anything expensive that can get stolen. So we have some old ratty looking chairs that we have made comfy for us. Maybe you could find, sew or make a good cushion for your back to snap/tie in place. We have some wraps to tie around the chairs to warm them up a bit so my hinney don't freeze, and pockets to hold the books, snacks etc. on the arms. The 'stuff' is something that can be added if and when the chairs get broken down to much, they are close to that now, and be put on the next set of chairs. I won't spend much on the chairs as I think they would get stolen if they look to nice.

One of mine has a fishing rod holder, a golf umbrella attachment and a cup holder for bait. I put pool noodles on it so it won’t sink when it blows off the dock but they are about done. Nobody bothers anything that smells like old anchovy’s after the first whiff!

From a local chain big box store. Folds up small and is very comfortable and sturdy. I tried before purchasing and liked being able to get in and out of it without a struggle.
Also, I like the attached beer and chip /dip tray holder thingy. This one is worth the money.

Guidesman® Compact Folding Director's Chair
Model Number: DC-1023 Menards® SKU: 2735121
$44.00
Camp Chair.jpg

Attachments

• Camp Chair.jpg
    Camp Chair.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 11
I prefer a comfortable chair... not a small or compact chair.

Wanting a comfortable camp chair that I could trust not to break and drop me onto a burning tent stove or stovepipe, I concluded that the Helinox Swivel Chair would meet and exceed my needs!

Being able to swivel around without leaning over or stressing the chair structure really increases the utility of this chair, and although it was not inexpensive it is very high quality and carries a 5 year warranty. 

I was so impressed with every aspect of this chair that it gave me the confidence to buy the Helinox Cot One and the extra high leg set. 

By frequently checking online I was able to buy these Helinox items over a period of months when they were on special offer, otherwise I couldn't afford them!

Good quality seating and a good bed are essential for rest, recovery and recuperation (and obviously comfort, too!) especially if you have an injury as I do!

Ha those aren't expensive.

So last year I got to sit in an Yeti chair. It was very comfortable and seemed real sturdy, so I thought I would buy one. I looked them up, good thing I was sitting down. Jeez 300 bucks for a camp chair, no way.

So That Helinox swivel is made well? I sure would like to try one.

Highdesertranger

I’m happy with my Alite Designs Mantis Chair. It folds up so small I stow it in my door cubby. I believe the company went of business but there are copy cat products.

Attachments

• C00CADFF-F9FE-410B-8E5A-1AEE08C2FE79.jpeg
    C00CADFF-F9FE-410B-8E5A-1AEE08C2FE79.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 4
I purchased a GCI Quik-E-Seat. Not a great lounging seat but super easy to deploy and it automatically folds when you grab it to go. Pretty comfortable and durable. $40

fDzUBypl.jpg

That might be just what I'm looking for in a carry around chair, thanks! I'll have to go check one out.

Kijaro Chair.png

This chair is without a doubt the most comfortable of the fold up chairs. 

Amazon has it listed at different prices for different colors. It's called the Kijaro. 

The yellow one is $74. Most are $50. Some are only $37.

I have the yellow one where I got it at Dick's Sporting goods for $54. All colors were the same. I've had it now for 7 years.

Attachments

• Kijaro Chair.png
    Kijaro Chair.png
    131.4 KB · Views: 4
becida said:
That might be just what I'm looking for in a carry around chair, thanks! I'll have to go check one out.

Its an awesome chair, definitely quick deploy and folds up when you pick it up from the strap. Perfect for a carry around chair, i always have in in my truck.

Another favorite. Definitely not compact, but is super comfy and durable. Mine is a bit older (10+) with a head pillow and 2 cup holders but same design. ~$50. 

X4zmNgom.jpg