Best cities to work while living in a minivan or van?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbankid12

Reaction score
What is the best city to live in while living in your van?

Planning ahead for when I don’t have a dog anymore and just wanted to see what cities people like and think are best.

Ideally year round cool weather, plenty of places to park and sleep without being harassed (in addition to stealth camping to sleep) I think a low paying job be easy to get with a P.O. Box or fed ex box / mail firdwarder etc. 

Would be nice to fine a few cities and cycling through them when I wanna make a nice chunk of change maybe Walmart during the holiday season .. 

Currently have a dog so might be to difficult now but would be nice to have a plan for future income stability thanks!

If you want year round cool weather, you're pretty much looking at the west coast and on the west side of the Cascades.

I live in WA but in the eastern side and it gets damn hot here in the summer. And can get very cold in the winter.

Focus on cities that are on highways connecting major cities. You get a lot of businesses that pop up all along those routes serving the traveling public. The cities are also more open which makes for much easier places to stealth camp. If you are working for close to minimum wage then you might want to focus on places in CA since min wage there is higher ($14/hr in CA going to $15/hr next year for example). Since you're going to be living in a van you don't need to worry about the higher cost of living. Keep in mind in NV the min wage is $9.75/hr while AZ is $12.15/hr.

Alot of people out there say your best life is FOLLOW the weather you love and enjoy!

So that would be what do you desire as your personal weather best....but with a dog obvy you have issues you must handle if you are gone working and away from your rig etc.

So follow the weather that best suits you and your pooch and if you are gonna work like a 8-10 hr day job, no matter what it is, your dog is then the priority for surviving in the rig you got while you are gone.

I take it your dog is older? Maybe like he is on limited time and when that has gone that you will be free to roam pet free? Then any life you want.....it is follow the weather you love :) If you don't own a pet.....the skies are the limit on what you want, desire, areas you love be it beach or forests or ?

Any where in the USA! Bloom where you are planted...

Stay away from Key West, FL. Said to be the toughest anti-nomad town in the USA!

Seattle is your best bet weatherwise. Only a couple of weeks in the year might get into the 90s and that weather system breaks down in about 4 days time. It is not against the law to sleep in a vehicle. You can find delivery jobs there. Amazon ordering is huge there so lots of people sign up for that, door dash and other such jobs. Not a lot of below freezing nights in the winter. But you will be dealing with condensation and not a lot of solar in winter. For solar in gloomy areas buy polycrystiline panels rather than monocrystaline. The poly do better in cloudy weather.

If you get a job as a dog walker your dog can be with you.

Thank you for all the suggestions and helpful ideas everyone. I have found a job in stocking I just had to apply to a bigger city nearby I guess the job market in the towns I was applying to were just to difficult.

I will say it was extremely difficult burning both ends of the stick to keep going.. still now I need to work a month and live in a hotel before I can even apply for an apartment yikes..

I only post this to anyone else thinking of minivan life with a pet. Be prepared for a difficult exit with funds and support if you have it if not... it may be difficult.. well wishes to everyone I’m doing well just gonna be a while before I can get on my feet again but I see the light in the distance!