Best cities for urban car-camping?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
So far, I haven't particularly bothered with the whole stealth thing in my extended road trips; I just stay in places where it's generally considered OK to overnight, such as Cracker Barrels, truck stops and the occasional Wal-Mart or city travel center. I also stick to urban areas for easier access to amenities, emergency medical assistance, etc. I usually stay only one night at a time in any one place as a courtesy, although I may revisit a spot after a few days.

If your overnighting habits are similar to mine, in which cities (anywhere in the U.S.) have you had the most luck finding a variety of good urban car-camping spots? Any particular recommendations?

Well, I've been in around 50 cities in 30 states over the years. Never had any problem in any Cracker Barrel. Only ever had one difficulty at a Walmart: in Oklahoma City, the Walmart had just recently changed managers and altered its policy--it still allowed RVers to park overnight, but not vans. So the security dude pointed out a Cracker Barrel nearby that I could park at instead.

Some states are rough though---California, Arizona, Florida and Colorado are all pretty strict about "no overnighting". Some individual Walmarts won't enforce the ordinances on you and will let you slide. But even in Arizona and Florida I never had any trouble at a Cracker Barrel. I've not been to California or Colorado yet.

If asked to leave, of course, leave promptly, courteously, and cheerfully.

In general, I have found that if you're not a dick to other people, people won't be a dick to you. :)

Yeah, the Arizona/Colorado Cracker Barrels have been OK to me (I always make a point of asking for permission while I'm in the midst of paying my bill.  ;) ) The truck stops in Tucson don't seem to mind overnight stays either....

I'm told that Amarillo has a lot of truck stops and travel centers, but I've only stayed at the big travel center on the east end of town.

Denver is great for stealth camping on streets. It is not legal so use your common sense. Some wall arts allow it. The Colorado Rockies on the other hand are unfriendly.

I had the opposite experience in Colorado, it was very difficult to find a good spot in Denver, but extremely easy in the Rockies due to all the NF land.

At this current point in time, Santa Cruz, CA just recently repealed the laws they passed that outlawed sleeping in vehicles overnight. So you can park just about anywhere in town where there aren't park restriction signs posted. Same goes for Palo Alto, CA. In these places you wont be hassled by the police. You may however have a run in with a drunk or a tweaker.

This helps me, thank you! I will check out Santa Cruz and maybe Palo Alto. I'm most interested in Santa Barbara and Ventura which both outlaw sleeping in your vehicle (seems against the constitution to me).

I didn't mean to put up a 2 star rating on this thread, and I don't know how to remove it, sorry!

Maybe a moderator can remove it?

Try giving it 5 stars if it will let you.
I'm trying to figure out how to create a signature. Do you know how?
I read your bio. I grew up a short walk to the ocean. I hope you had some lakes and rivers in your landlocked states.

WatusiLucy said:
I'm trying to figure out how to create a signature. Do you know how?

At the upper left there is User CP.  Click on that and then at the bottom on the left, View Profile.

lenny flank said:
In general, I have found that if you're not a dick to other people, people won't be a dick to you.  :)
I love those chicken or egg dilemas.

Seattle, it is legal there to sleepin your car. Just obey all the street signs that refer to parking hours or of course the ones that say no parking. There are some neighborhoods that require a local resident sticker for overnight parking such as the University District and a few other densely populated locations. Also look at crime maps and avoid the areas with a lot of car prowls. They tend to be along the major bus line routes.