Best All Terrain Tires For Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every Road Leads Home said:
Speaking of air compressors, what is everyone using for a portable compressor for tire inflation?

The MV-50 is a good basic compressor designed to hook right to battery terminals. NO ciggy plug crap. It pulls 16 amps minimum, which would melt a ciggy plug and blow fuses.  I cut off the clamps and use 45 amp anderson powerpoles instead, but can return the clamps as they now have the powerpole too.

I did not like the screw on tire chuck, and wound up tapping the  head for standard 1/4 inch NPT air fittings, and used a better airhose and locking tire chuck which I made passive 

retaphead1_zps1a26c088.jpg

modifyairchucktofreeflow_zpsf6cd0cb2.jpg

there was no Stress relief where the wires entered the backside of the unit, and the wires were joined with crimp nuts which I am no fan of

plasticback_zps37af4c40.jpg

The Airfilter inlet holes were obstructed with flashing left over from the mold, which caused me to not use the air filter on initial uses.  Mistake

cylinder_zpsa5cf523a.jpg

One can also see the cylinder only touches heatsink in 4 spots, with much larger dead air spaces which would greatly slow heat conduction from cylinder head.  I filled these with high temp grease to better conduct heat from cylinder head and piston.

I also added a 80MM fan to blow over head for further heat evacuation.
fanmountfromback_zps64c1bb3f.jpg

That yellow hose is just a harbor fright hose. I wound up not using any quick release fittings as I saw no point in removing the hose from the head.  I later bought a smaller diameter hose that stretches easier and uses better strain relief.

https://www.amazon.com/Amflo-24-25E...82794234&sr=1-1&keywords=25'+air+hose+1/4+npt

The MV-50 is a good tool, but some spit and polish can make it into a great tool.

I left the 14awg cable, but if the time to fill tires is a factor, then it can be sped up by using 10AWG wire from battery to relay in the endcap to minimize voltage drop.

Mine pulls a minimum of 16 amps, but this can go higher with higher voltages applied, like when running the engine.

If one upgrades the tire chuck/ fittings, it must be passive, so that it cannot build up pressure in the airhose, and blow the airhose, or the piston cup, or worse.

jimindenver said:
MV-50, 12v and very fast

Thanks Jim,

Just ordered it through Northern Tool because I had a $50 gift card with them I received as promotion on another order about six months ago.  

Sternwake, Thanks for showing those mods, I think I will do the same.  I much rather a regular air chuck as well.

Txjaybird said:
Thank you for all the info.  I spoke to my mechanic and when he replaces a wheel speed sensor on Wed. he'll give the van a more thorough going over.  Do you have a build thread anywhere?.   Do these vans sit close to the ground or is it just my imagination?

Thanks Again

Jewellann
So with everything you need to find out about with this new to you Safari, I'd suggest starting your very own build thread in the conversion section.

It doesn't need to be confined to the build itself but if you keep all the questions you have there as opposed to in the middle of others talking compressors and off road tire capabilities, you'll be able to find your answers a whole lot easier.

SternWake said:
The MV-50 is a good basic compressor designed to hook right to battery terminals. NO ciggy plug crap. It pulls 16 amps minimum, which would melt a ciggy plug and blow fuses. 
<---snip---->
The MV-50 is a good tool, but some spit and polish can make it into a great tool.

I left the 14awg cable, but if the time to fill tires is a factor, then it can be sped up by using 10AWG wire from battery to relay in the endcap to minimize voltage drop.

Mine pulls a minimum of 16 amps, but this can go higher with higher voltages applied, like when running the engine.

If one upgrades the tire chuck/ fittings, it must be passive, so that it cannot build up pressure in the airhose, and blow the airhose, or the piston cup, or worse.
Thanks for the tutorial, if/when I get an MV-50 I'm coming back here to figure out how to properly modify it to work better.   :)

29chico said:
I have been thinking for a while now that a pair of the KO2's, in the stock 245 75 16 load range E , mounted on stock rims would make for some fine spares.  The issue is where to mount the second spare?  Inside the van on a secure mount?  Or on a crazy expensive rear bumper with swingeing arms?

I'm going to start a new thread about vehicle recovery, the gear required to do so and the techniques needed to do it safely.

Ha! I've been thinking I'mn going start a thread on how I got stuck and how I got out and didn't get out. :)

cortttt said:
Based on Bob's recommendations I got the MV-50 as well. I've used it twice and it worked really well both times.

I've located one at O'Reilly's Auto parts for $5. more than the Amazon price. I prefer dealing with a brick and mortar store when possible. $89.99.

I bought mine in pep boys in Nov 2007 for 70ish$ IIRC

Check the head bolts for even tightness after the first heating cycle, perhaps even before. So basic to take apart with some allen keys. Be sure to make sure air filter inlet holes are not all plugged up. Much Quieter with air filter Too.

They do have adapters so one could use the weird metric threads in the head without having to retap it.