Women Only Being a nomad woman without a man to help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crofter said:
I noticed a couple for sale used in your area on CL, under $2500. Search under pickup camper. 
Hi Crofter,

What I want to do, or decided to do is, work my truck into a comfy "enough" space and just spend money on those materials.  I don't know what I can fit into it for sure but I have a friend that is doing his truck, same size as mine and he's getting all I would need into his.  Then, if I can cut the mustard living in it for shorter periods I may go full-time in that, or have saved maybe enough to look for something bigger;)

Those prices you listed look pretty good, as I may need to pay cash just to stay out of vehicle-debt.  I am not sure on that, I may need to use credit to get something better "used", and it would have to be used for my income.  Thanks for all your input, I sure feel better than when I started this thread ;)

RoamerRV428 said:
live more free and dump some mental baggage on issues now the older I get.........let it go....go with the flow....say screw it and go out there and have fun and let the chips fall where they may :)  sometimes that is the way to go, seems to be more like that for me now.

wishing you the best in finding your path...you will...
I heard that so loud and clear Roamer ;)  I need to work on those things for sure.  Some days are so easy to do that, others, I just ruin with sitting and doing nothing but the "have to do's" ;)  Screw it days always turn out the best don't they, I get more done that I didn't even plan to do.  Thanks much, I'm making this a "screw it day" lol!!

travelaround said:
it on my own. But just to listen to instructions and then go do the work - well, I'm just as confused as ever... so I'm letting someone else do it.
I hear that and most of the time I'm content on my own.  The thought of sharing "anything" with someone after all these years is hard to imagine.  I've done fine living on my own, for over 20 years now, but when I feel frustrated because I don't know how to do something myself I cop a negative attitude and want to throw in the towel.  But hearing from the women was what I needed.  Sometimes I forget that talking to my own "kind" is the best path.  Paying a guy to help me I don't mind at all.  I think depending on men to always help me with stuff is not a very, good idea, I mean and "not" paying for the services. I thought I was supposed to have a husband but it never was right for me because I didn't know what it meant to be married. I just wanted to have fun, hah ;(

I really like the idea of the Maker Spaces and will be checking to see if any might be happening in the Fall (coming up sometime soon), although I am meeting with peeps this afternoon to talk over what we can do to get my truck into a comfy area.  I probably shouldn't broadcast names a lot but you all probably know by now they are Nomads, well known and respected :)  I got to meet them last weekend in person and it felt so good to finally meet them and really enjoyed their company!

I'm pretty introverted at times, and super out-going others, and I love my own space to retire too, but for me, having one without the other is not healthy for me.  Being busy is what I want most, not too busy, some sort of balance is what I'd like to find.  You sound like you are creative and I admire folks that are.  When I am busy I don't have time to think about having a pity party ;)

WanderingRose said:
It’s true that you don’t have to start with everything figured out, or none of us would ever go anywhere.

I hire out what I can’t do myself, and there’s no shame in that, nor in not wanting to learn to do everything.

A group build sounds like it would be perfect for you, Denise, and I hope you can find one that works for you.
That's true Rose, and I didn't use to be that way.  I would just load up my truck and cross-country for a new job, new life!  My sister and my friends said they wish they could do that.  I felt like it was normal and the settling down must not be for me :)  My dad was the same way, and he only settled when he was probably in his 80s, but not sure on that.  Even when he got into his 90s, I know for sure he spent time in Ponderay Idaho with family.  He and mom split when I was about 4, but he was married before and had 2 other children and they had families. I got to meet all of them one time, but sadly, he had passed away.

Dougs going to help me get started this time.  It's just been hard to allow someone to work without pay.  I know I can pay-it-forward with the skills/talents I do have.  I know there are people out there that want to volunteer to help others, I do a little here, but it really is only a little.  Like helping folks with their smartTVs their kids insisted on buying for them, but don't aren't nearby to help them when they get stuck.  Or phones they buy and can't figure out, I'm good at that stuff.  Sometimes cook for someone, yeah, I can do a lot of things, just need to get with it ;)

Heck, I just remembered I bought a bicycle online, and had to assemble it all myself.  Felt so good because everything worked great, braking system especially was hard, but I did it.  Also put together a corner-style desk for my computer, files, etc.  Talk about "screw it" LOL!  Tons of screws in this thing!

LOL GG! darn right some of the best days of my life is when I get the heck out of my own way and go with the flow and 'just do it' and not question it........and who knew LOL

Now being older heading into my 60s I am more about 'just do it and F any issues that come with 'maybe a bad call' but then again, if I make NO move, I might not get any results at all, so a bad result might be a good thing if ya think about it cause we all just learn and move and change thru life, but if you never dive in, then nothing goes down....good or bad....nice thing is with being more open to 'let it go' means I am living it and feeling results vs. a stagnant life so....just thoughts from me on it all.

we are all a work in progress :) just change it up to follow your path 'you feel' you need to go and let the chips fall where they may, you can't truly make a horrible life defying bad move truly.........just do you!

How true, and stagnate is one of my self-describing words, and moldy is a good one too, lol ;) (doubt if any guys will want to ask me out if they are reading this one!! LOL!).

There's something to be said for waiting if I'm not sure, but when I can't come up with more "cons" than "pros" I think it's time for me to get off my butt :) My life was so much better when I had to struggle, and fly by the seat of my pants, survive. It's all coming back to me, lol, that's what I needed.

PS and if there wasn't any struggle or problem to overcome, I created one! Another thing I'm good at!! LOL ;)

If you want to learn how to do something just put yourself in the way of learning it. Meaning make it a goal and get to it.
If you dont know how to accurately saw, hammer, drill, etc watch som videos specifically showing the correct way to hold and use a tool. Skill at such things begins with using the tools exactly as they were designed to be used. Where you hold the handle of a hammer for a light blow is different than where you hold it for a forceful power blow. That has to do with the principle of levers. Tools are designed to use the principles of mechanical advantage to increase your strength and control. It matters how you grip them, how you stand, where your arms are, etc. How you hold a tool does not always feel natural or comfortable until you develop muscle memory for that specific set of grip, stance and movements. Any person who can't push on through the mental resistance they encounter of it not feeling right when they first try a different way of holding a tool will never achieve mastery of it. The results of their efforts will be substandard quality. When I teach beginners or even train myself with using a new tool that situation of "it does not feel right" is a frequent visitor in thoughts and conversations. I actually still remember  from childhood the frustration when learning to cut with a knife and fork, it absolutely did not feel right to hold the tools that way. Of course other cultures do not cut food that eay but that is another conversation.

You will be feeling it too, this does not feel right when someone shows you the right way to hold a tool or how to stand and move when using it. It is just a feeling brought about from the muscle brain memory of using other tools in the past. It takes time and practice and then holding the new tool in a particular way will also begin to feel just right. If you are struggling with getting control of a tool then chances are you are not using it correctly. So stop and review how you need to holld it and how all of your body including your arms, shoulders, back, legs and feet should be positioned. You really do have to literally be one with the tool. This is very much true when using a hand saw. I will search out a video I know on how to use hand saws and get great results. It was a big help to me for becoming comfortable with hand sawing, and developing for them that feeling of "just right" and of course also getting great results.

maki2 said:
By the way, you can purchase plans for making plywood camper shells. Over the years lots of patterns with  instructions for  that type of structure have been published in various DIY handyman magazines. Now and a gain I come a cross them when resesrching projects in vintage magaxines. Google books site is a good place to look for the vintage magazine article images and indexes.
This magazine (digital) needs a payed subscription but I'm going to keep checking around for free, archives.  It sure looks like a fun mag though ;)
https://girlcamper.com/magazine/  Can't thank you enough for telling me about DIY magazines Maki!  I have a kindle fire I check books out from libraries, but the big Library in Houston doesn't appear to have Magazines in digital.  I may call and ask them though, to know for sure ;)

maki2 said:
If you want to learn how to do something just put yourself in the way of learning it.
You're the first woman I think I've ever met that had so many skills with what I thought growing up, were only for men!  I do feel so good when I do the least, little thing in my apt. without having to call maintenance so I do want to learn.  I have a tremor in my left hand mostly, and I am right-handed luckily, but I think getting busy is going to help to maybe, get rid of that.  I work hard on good nutrition and some supplements but strengthening muscle, and improving my coordination (that I had a lot of in younger years) will help that I just know.

I have a couple of sets of nice tools already, but hadn't bought a drill, or saw yet.  I know I'll need those.  I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me.  I do love learning, and I think that makes me feel alive too :)

I did my entire build with a jig saw. Had the main  plywood cuts done at Home Depot where I bought the wood, so no need to buy a skil saw.
-crofter

crofter said:
I did my entire build with a jig saw. Had the main  plywood cuts done at Home Depot where I bought the wood, so no need to buy a skil saw.
-crofter
Good to know Crofter, I sure don't like the prices I'm seeing in our local Home Depot(wood prices).  I am kind of hoping for something that will last but it will have to be what I can afford of course ;)

You don't have to build everything from scratch -- look for used pre-built cupboards and stuff that will fit the spaces. Measure the spaces CAREFULLY, put the drawings and measurements in a notebook that fits in your purse. Keep it updated.

One thing to keep in mind is the weight -- try to balance it so you don't have a lot of weight in one section, and practically nothing in the opposite area.

^^^What he said. A simple base that sits on the bed rails can be made into a center supported sleeping platform or shelf if you must have more space but air resistance and weight need to be considered. One reason I used hollow core interior doors with a 3/8" plywood topper filled with spray foam covered with Poor Man's Fiberglass and a 2x4 on the bed rails as well as legs on the inside secured to the floor. Basically you have to make enough room for a walkway the less overhang the better unless you just want someplace to crawl in and sleep.

And, you know, you don’t have to help someone with a build to help someone in some way.

You have your own talents and gifts, and I’m sure will share them freely.

Before long, you will be the seasoned traveler here, giving pointers to newbies.

We all started somewhere, once, don’t forget,

Ok, I have been studying things, and looking at it as if I am actually starting down the road. First, my truck has zero AC, and when my rig is made into a camper by expanding my Canopy I already have (for example) I will die in hot weather, and freeze in cold. There shouldn't be much cold weather as I want to head out to AZ this Winter (Fall). Top priority is to escape high temperatures for my little dog and I. I mean head into my camper to survive.

What do I need, and what can I afford. I have Doug and Paulette to help me with the basic build, but I need to hear from other women that are camped in smaller rigs, or hotboxes so to speak, and what do you do to keep cool. I want to go to I think it's LTVL and camp there, but not sure I can get in. Haven't researched that, just heard some about it. So I'm going to plan to boondock.

I may as well ask in this post too, about best heat options if it turns cold wherever I am? I can't have it all right away, but I know my camper-shell is like an oven, when the Sun hits it. I'm meeting Doug and Paulette today to talk about this too, but I can't wait ;) I was on much earlier but couldn't get into the "forum" part of the website ;)

I just cannot head out unless I can be assured of those, 2 things. I will probably aclimate some, but I live on the coast up here near the Oregon/CA border and it is super moderate I'm used to. No AC ever needed in truck or apartment.

You're so close, Goldengirl - I wish I could go spend time with you, Doug and Paulette - but right now I'm only focused on trying to make my van livable again... so am making trips to Oregon for lumber and whatever is needed for the conversion. When I get it to where I can sleep in it again, hopefully we'll be able to meet up somewhere. Right now the van is full of things to be used for the conversion.

The road between my hometown and Hwy. 199 in Southern Oregon is now closed again, they said for 75 days this time so the California side can be logged. I think the Oregon's side logging was stopped by an environmentalist lawsuit. That is terrible, really - as they should take the trees that were burned that are close to the roadway so that they won't fall over on the road in a year or two.

Anyhow, for cooling - what I was using was two oPolar USB-rechargable fans plus sitting in the shade under a tree somewhere with the cargo doors open.

I'd also guess that much of the time you won't actually be in the camper, but more likely under some type of shade, whether that be an awning or a tree.

You need to have cross ventilation and roof ventilation.. Shade is important, Doug will help you get you set up for hooking shade cloth on your camper build during the build so that it is easy to put out when needed. If Doug is helping you with your build that is an issue you do not need to devote your time to solving on your own.  He is very experienced at creating shade and will show you what it is all about. Just set some funds aside for purchasing shade cloth, poles and also of course insulating materials for the camper interior. He will even tell you what shade cloth he uses, where he bought it and how to secure it to the ground and poles. As far as heat, you need to move seasonally to avoid the extremes of weather if you can.

This monsoon season in northern Arizona. I dont have sun all day but I do have some sun pretty much every morning until late afternoon. I also don't have unbearably hot weather. Daytime temp here by the South Rim of the Grand Canyon in late July has been no higher than 83 and the nights are cool but not cold enough to need any heat.  There are many places in the west to pass the summer without AC without roasting you or your dog.