Been Living in my Van Almost a Week... my thoughts.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score
Well I've been full time in the van for 6 days. These are my honest reflections.

Vandwelling is *completely* different from living in a condo. I think it gets romanticized quite a bit, but there are definitely things I dont like. The worst thing is feeling like I need to sneak around alot of the time to remain stealthy. Keep in mind I'm 100% urban vandwelling within a 3 or 4 Kilometre area. I have to do this because I want to be near my kids and I also have a fulltime job in the same area. So the sneaking around is unpleasant. Even its during the day and I'm in a parking lot at a mall, I worry about people around me potentially hearing me in the back of the van.

That's the worst part.

Right now I'm quite busy so I'm active and not sitting in the van all day. However, I can see how that could be a problem in the future. I have always been a bit of a 'homebody' but I think thats going to have to change. I cannot sit in the van all day long without going a little nuts. Luckily I planned this transition period to take place over the summer and the weather has been hot (but tolerable) and not cold and rainy. If I had just started this experience in foul weather it would have been unpleasant.

The hardest part of the build for me to figure out has been the bed. I'm on my 3rd version. Leaving 14 inches under the bed gave me no headroom ( I could only sit up with my head tilted over). The problem was I built the platform using slats and that design wasted inches of space... precious space. I have now switched to a 5/8 sheet of plywood directly placed onto milkcrates which is working better. The other big problem with the bed is that public streets are tilted at an angle (I assume to manage water runoff) and as a result I had to sleep tilted at an awkward angle. To remedy this I now have the right hand side of the bed about 2 inches higher than the left. Things are alot more even now. I am going to post a youtube video about the bed in a few days.

Another thing I have learned is that the roof vent Fantastic Fan, is a life saver. It does a good job of sucking out the heat (but you need to have it get cooler outside before truly effective). Also, I have found it to be an excellent source of *private* daytime light. In fact, I put up cardboard to cover the van's only windows (in the rear doors). I have the smoke coloured vent lid currently, but may buy the clear one because after summer is over it will be mainly cloudy/rainy and the light will be less.

I have yet to put the drain in my sink so I have been washing up at a Starbucks. I feel truly homeless! I gotta say its not a fun feeling. It could get me into a state of depression if I'm not careful. I need to get the essentials up and running asap to minimize my reliance on others' facilities.

The feeling of a lack of stability is somewhat unsettling. There is something to be said for having a permanent residence as it gives a sense of security that urban vandwelling seems to lack. One thing I have seriously considered is renting a driveway for $100 or $200 per month. I'm fine without electricity (solar is next week) and need nothing but a small patch of earth to park the van. I'm going to give myself another month or so to see if things settle down, but that could be an option for me.

Some positives...

Water is not nearly the issue I thought it would be. I have a 26.5 litre Aquatainer and I have used maybe 6 litres so far. Usually I just fill my water bottle up wherever I am. Peeing in a bottle is gross, but really not that bad. Just dont miss. I find have a large spout makes a big difference. I figure I have put about 300 hrs of time into the build and that is paying off. The van is well insulated and the cabinetry is functional. The bed snafu has left things still not organized. This is because I needed to get the bed finished before I could organize the storage underneath... which affects the storage everywhere else.

Another positive is that being in the van will force me to get out and do new activities and make new friends. Staying in the van all the time is just not an option.

Anyways, its only been 6 days so I am hoping as time goes on and I settle into things, everything will be better. I am paying nearly 40% of my income to Child Support (not that I want to usurp that responsibility) so vandwelling is really my only option that I can see. I guess I could get roommates or get a second job and work 60 to 80 hours per week, but neither of those appeals to me.

Onward and upward. :)

When you get a chance, build the bed unit so that the milk crates will fit underneath and use them for storage rather than for support. It will help with the organizing and will make the bed feel a bit more permanent.

I'm incorporating hinged lids into the storage compartments that will allow me to insert wedges under the opening sides to let me level the bed when I have to park on a bit of a slope. Mine is running across the width of the van so I need to have both the foot and the head adjustable by using shims. EVen using a second pillow will help raise your head up so that you're not having the blood run to your head...lol. I won't be stealth urban camping but I know there's going to be parking lot/truck stop nights where inside leveling will be necessary.

IIWM I'd be getting the sink plumbed in asap. That alone will help take away the homeless feeling. I know the 'homeless feeling' - way back in the first year or so of living on the road doing markets and art shows there were more than a few weeks where figuring out how to eat, have gas money to get to the next show and pay up front the show fees left me eating mac and cheese, cooking on the stove in my work trailer and moving from one w/m parking lot to another. The more organized and the more finished the van can be, the better you'll feel about things.

The more you're at it also, the less you will feel that doing things in the van are being noticed. Soon you'll realize that more often than not, people are so self-interested (not in a bad way) that they just aren't paying attention to what you're doing. It's like a light coming on when all of a sudden you realize that 99% of those around you not only don't notice but then also don't care.

Almost There said:
When you get a chance, build the bed unit so that the milk crates will fit underneath and use them for storage rather than for support. 

That's what I did!  :)  I don't have, or plan to use, milk crates, but I am working on sliding drawers that attach to the underside of the bed. 
Nothing fancy.  No wooden drawers with ball bearing sliders like you'd find in a kitchen.  My plan is go somewhere like Organized Living, or IKEA, and get something made of plastic or maybe wire.  The wire drawers are light weight and allow you to easily see what's in them.   They also allow what's in them to air.

As for the bed, get yourself some "Pipe Nipples" and "Floor Flanges".  Works great and it's really simple to build.  With the 5/8" plywood under the foam, attaching drawers is a snap!  
Pipe Nipples come in a wide array of lengths.  I'm using 12", giving my bed a 16" height.  With my high top and 6'4", that's enough to sit upright and not hit my head.  

I've often worried that people over-romantisize living in a van.  It's good to hear (read) the experiences of someone just starting out.   :cool:

I have two recommendations;

1) Get out of the van - Yep, dont box yourself in there all day and you will not feel so trapped by sneaking around. Utilize the Library (free wifi, bathroom, water, entertainment including movies, etc) or your local parks, community centers, etc. I became a member of the Loyal Order of the Moose who have lodges all over the country (I am at one right now in Alaska, $5 a night with electric and water) and will allow you to hang out the in the Lodge all ay long. Go hike that trail or ride a bike, or climb a mountain. Get out and do something once a day, just dont spend your entire day in the van, it will kill you.

2) Stop trying to camp in the normal sense and start "day camping". Most city ordinances prevent someone form "overnight parking". None prevent you from parking during the daytime. So, go park the van at a local city park and open the doors and enjoy the breeze. You are perfectly legal to do this, and well within your rights since you as a taxpayer paid for that park (in part). You do not have to "hide" or "sneak" when doing this... heck you can even whip out the BBQ and have lunch! Leave the park at sunset (most close at that time) and find a place to park for the night. You can camp outside the city limits and pretty much not have to worry about those pesky city ordinances (they all cease to exist at the city limit, go figure), or find an alley under the cover of darkness instead of broad daylight. Remember, if you are not a commercial vehicle you can (perfectly legally) park the van on ANY residential street. Sleeping in it may not be legal, but parking it is. Arrive late enough in the night and no one knows the difference. And the longer you do, the more the neighbors just accept your van as one of their neighbors commuting too and from work each day. But, a clean van and no activity after dark is important (you will get a lot of sleep). Arrive late and leave early is the key. 

And of course, you could rent a driveway but the "sleeping in your vehicle" laws (if they exist in your city) will still apply, even though they really should not (private property and all). Again I bring up your local Moose (or Elks, or VFW, or whatever) lodges. Many allow overnight parking in their lots (members only and with permission), My annual Moose membership is $70. Not bad for having so many places to call home across the country, and super low cost camping too.

That was a very interesting write-up of your feelings and emotions.

I've said many ties I cried myself to sleep my first night in a van so I have an idea of where you are coming from. Another similarity is I paid exactly 50% of my take-home pay to my ex.

While I soon fell deeply in love with vandwelling I can't promise you will. However, I can almost guarantee it will get better and easier and if you give it a fair shake, you may even learn to at least like it.
Bob

I think some of the downsides to RV/Van living are often avoided. When people ask me about picking out a rig, I tell them to grab the family, get in, shut all of the curtains and sit there until someone snaps. Then consider that there will be times that they will be cooped up like that for days at a time. It affects me enough that we haven't been out yet this season due to how rainy it has been. No reason to drag the trailer out to the middle of no where to sit inside and watch TV, I can do that at home on more comfortable furniture. (and we have a 25 ft trailer)

I hope that you will feel better once you get the rig finished up and get into a routine.

Suggested for liquid elimination:

Reuse Gatorade 32 fl oz (946 ml) bottles with large neck.

Check out my folding bed In built in my chevy express 3500 van, maybe a bed like that would be beneficial for you.
With my van set-up, you can actually use your van as a work van and live in the van.
Here is the folding bed build video:

2TheStreet said:

So many ideas to steal! Um, I mean borrow. :angel:

That's the same foldable toilet that I have in my Kia Soul set-up. It's a great choice if you have limited space available.

2TheStreet said:
Check out my folding bed In built in my chevy express 3500 van, maybe a bed like that would be beneficial for you.
With my van set-up, you can actually use your van as a work van and live in the van.

I watched your video. You have a very colourful.... style. ;).  I havent seen a toilet like that. I'm keeping that one in mind incase my bucket system is wanting.

As to the bed, my next plan is to mount hinges on the rear milkcrates so I can have access to underneath the bed. If that doesnt work out I may just re-do the bed again and go with that pipe leg design that "BigT" posted.

wayne49 said:
Suggested for liquid elimination:

Reuse Gatorade 32 fl oz (946 ml) bottles with large neck.

I use a 2.89 litre laundry detergent bottle... works well as it has an easy to use shape.

Van-Tramp said:
I have two recommendations;

1) Get out of the van - Yep, dont box yourself in there all day and you will not feel so trapped by sneaking around. Utilize the Library (free wifi, bathroom, water, entertainment including movies, etc) or your local parks, community centers, etc. I became a member of the Loyal Order of the Moose who have lodges all over the country (I am at one right now in Alaska, $5 a night with electric and water) and will allow you to hang out the in the Lodge all ay long. Go hike that trail or ride a bike, or climb a mountain. Get out and do something once a day, just dont spend your entire day in the van, it will kill you.

2) Stop trying to camp in the normal sense and start "day camping". Most city ordinances prevent someone form "overnight parking". None prevent you from parking during the daytime. So, go park the van at a local city park and open the doors and enjoy the breeze. You are perfectly legal to do this, and well within your rights since you as a taxpayer paid for that park (in part). You do not have to "hide" or "sneak" when doing this... heck you can even whip out the BBQ and have lunch! Leave the park at sunset (most close at that time) and find a place to park for the night. You can camp outside the city limits and pretty much not have to worry about those pesky city ordinances (they all cease to exist at the city limit, go figure), or find an alley under the cover of darkness instead of broad daylight. Remember, if you are not a commercial vehicle you can (perfectly legally) park the van on ANY residential street. Sleeping in it may not be legal, but parking it is. Arrive late enough in the night and no one knows the difference. And the longer you do, the more the neighbors just accept your van as one of their neighbors commuting too and from work each day. But, a clean van and no activity after dark is important (you will get a lot of sleep). Arrive late and leave early is the key. 

And of course, you could rent a driveway but the "sleeping in your vehicle" laws (if they exist in your city) will still apply, even though they really should not (private property and all). Again I bring up your local Moose (or Elks, or VFW, or whatever) lodges. Many allow overnight parking in their lots (members only and with permission), My annual Moose membership is $70. Not bad for having so many places to call home across the country, and super low cost camping too.

Not sure we have Moose lodges up here in Canada but that certainly is a good idea. I definitely agree that getting out of the van is essential to maintain sanity. I live in a very large city (3rd largest in Canada) so driving out of town isnt a viable option. Too costly in gas. Plus I need to be an my ex-wife's place by 630am 3 days a week. Thats what time she leaves for work and I take my kids for the day. Hanging out at public parks is a good idea and I may do that more.

Today I saw a pre made and sewn trifold upholstery foam (4") foamie type bed.  When folded up it stands neatly. When unfolded, each part was 2 foot square giving it a 6 foot length.  It cost $90 at some unnamed upholstery shop.  Got me thinking that something like that would be another "stealth" bed possibility....
image.jpg

X2 on get out in good weather. Go for walks, volunteer for something, just get out daily. When I'm off work, like now, I waddle, I mean walk around parks and meander. I even found wild growing blackberry bushes and picked about a quart bag of ripe ones. Just stuff like that. Oh, spent 2 hours wandering on new car lots too... Window shopping can be fun. Can't believe the prices on new trucks! I saw a Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummings for $72K list!! Crazy.

If you can, join a local health club. Showers, exercise equipment, a place to walk indoors if they have an upper track. YMCA works too.

Dusty

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 12
If it makes you feel better, I've done a couple of 6 month stints living in the back of a Ford Ranger, under a canopy. If your worried about the "sneaking around" feeling...don't. In a van you can be minimally careful and pretty confident of being unobserved as you make you way to bed. Try having to climb into the back of a pickup and pull the tailgate and glass canopy door closed behind you...wondering every time if this 100% exposed and obvious action will be the one that gets the cops called by some busy body. I remember driving way out to the woods and finding a dirt road so I could enjoy the luxury of climbing into the back of the pickup with no eyes upon me. It was like a little vacation. :)

And then there are people living in cars. Zero privacy and total obviousness of what they're doing..and they somehow make it work.

A van really is pretty private, and people really pay little notice of them, unless your being obvious about it. So don't sweat it so much. You've actually got a relatively luxurious thing going, as the mobile lifestyle goes. :)

I am of the age I can use the local "Senior Center".  Did some Tai Chi a couple years back and those 'little old ladies' made me look bad!  Haha......   :)
Local lakes offer fishing and often it's free for youngsters.

speaking of Tai chi there is a park at the corner of Nanaimo and Franklin one block north of Hastings in your neighborhood that a group of old and not so old chinese people gather in the morning for a session, That little park is a good place to park for the day as well for the night. check it out. I bet there is some level ground on the North side. Don't blame all your mood on Vandwelling as you are in the middle of a major life changing event, even if you are happy to be seperated it takes some time to readjust. Good luck...

Yeah it has definitely emotionally difficult for me leaving my kids... the exwife not so much. However, I do get to see them 5 days a week for hours at a time and I am really enjoying that. The first few days of seperation were challenging to say the least.

Nanaimo and Hastings is quite a drive from where I am. I'm on a tight gas budget. I see that gas went up to 1.37 a litre today. Ouch.

One Awesome Inch said:
Well I've been full time in the van for 6 days. These are my honest reflections.

Vandwelling is *completely* different from living in a condo. I think it gets romanticized quite a bit, but there are definitely things I dont like. The worst thing is feeling like I need to sneak around alot of the time to remain stealthy. Keep in mind I'm 100% urban vandwelling within a 3 or 4 Kilometre area. I have to do this because I want to be near my kids and I also have a fulltime job in the same area. So the sneaking around is unpleasant. Even its during the day and I'm in a parking lot at a mall, I worry about people around me potentially hearing me in the back of the van.

That's the worst part. . . .

. . . .The feeling of a lack of stability is somewhat unsettling. There is something to be said for having a permanent residence as it gives a sense of security that urban vandwelling seems to lack. One thing I have seriously considered is renting a driveway for $100 or $200 per month. I'm fine without electricity (solar is next week) and need nothing but a small patch of earth to park the van. I'm going to give myself another month or so to see if things settle down, but that could be an option for me.

Thank you for posting this.  I found your comments most interesting.

You're staying in the same urban  area you already lived in.  You're going to the same job you held before you moved into your van.  And there's a vague feeling that you are doing something "wrong" and might attract the negative attention of the authorities, and/or your employer might find out you are doing it.

I do have to wonder how much more positive it would be if you were traveling around to different areas of the country and staying in places that felt safe and were perfectly legal for you to be?

In other words, is it the van, or is it the other factors?

Regards
John