Becoming a tent nomad

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neal

Reaction score
I watched Bob's video with the woman who camps with the Springbar tent and have decided to go that route. I've been trying to trade my 2014 Ford Fiesta sedan, but I'm too upside down on it. I had an 88 Dodge B250 but it would have nickeled and dimed me to death. So I will use the tent and my Fiesta as a back up to sleep in. This will be a temporary situation until I get a van or RV. I can't decide what to buy and I can't buy anything until I hit the road for about 6 months.

Cheapest and probably easiest way to acquire what you need is to take a weekend or a few days somehow and go live in a state park or other place in the setup with what you have now.  If you don't have the tent yet, sleep in the car.  Take dishes and cookware you now have.  Realize while you are camping what you need.  It may be a short trip the first few times as you find you don't have something you need.  This way you won't have stuff you don't need when you hit the road, and you should have what you do need.  Also, you try it out while not far from home so you can bail until you are set up.

Where I live,  there used to be a guy who got those early Ford Festiva's and convert them into micro Pickup Trucks.  Similar to this:

images

He sold them as fast as he built them to the College kids in the area as they saw them as
very useful and practical for their needs.

I always wondered why a Pop-UP camper of sorts to sleep one or two people couldn't have been built to slide into the back end.  When not in use it could be stored in any of the nearby storage units just off campus and a simple tonneau cover used for any other time it was just used as a transport vehicle. 

Trees fall on cars all the time crushing in the roof's. If you were to find a hatch back where the rear of the roof was damaged it may qualify for building into something like this.

These little 3 cylinder engines got pretty good gas mileage too.

Imagine the pop up similar to what's on this grocery shopping cart made to slide into the Festiva.  It could be used for a beginning traveler or student on week ends.

camper-kart-kevin-cyr-1.jpg

Early 1990's Honda Civic or Suzuki Samurai 4x4, do foam light enough to lift off to set up camp!

Imagine the Festiva looking about like this:

Festiva.jpg

Because the "bed" of the pickup would be wider than the grocery cart,  the
fold outs wouldn't have to extend so far out to provide 6 1/2' of bed mat. (3 mats...1 across the bed of the pick up and 2 for each fold out)  The center piece may be designed as two panels that are piano hinged together to fold, and braced from the floor.  Similar with the fold out panels which would be hinged from the sides of the popup.  Much like a conventional Popup Tent Camper.  But this could provide for tent living and affordable mobility.  These 1.1 liter engines would sip fuel.  There would be room for the basics but that would be about all.

Just some additional info while you ponder your decisions. I have a tent I'm using for storage and while it frees up a lot of room in my van there are some caveats:

1. WIND! I can't escape it it seems. I've already used Gorilla Tape to repair a ripped rain fly.

2. Rain and any other type of dampness sucks if you are using electronics in it. It sucks anyway.

3. It's best you keep your food in the car just in case. There are critters about and tents aren't secure when it comes to hungry animals.

I don't have a high top so the tent has been really convenient just to stand up it. I still sleep in my van.

Headache said:
Just some additional info while you ponder your decisions.  I have a tent I'm using for storage and while it frees up a lot of room in my van there are some caveats:

1.  WIND!  I can't escape it it seems.   I've already used Gorilla Tape to repair a ripped rain fly.

2.  Rain and any other type of dampness sucks if you are using electronics in it.  It sucks anyway.

3.  It's best you keep your food in the car just in case.  There are critters about and tents aren't secure when it comes to hungry animals.

I don't have a high top so the tent has been really convenient just to stand up it.  I still sleep in my van.
I was planning on getting a canvas tent like the one's Kodiak and Springbar sell. My car is small but if I take out the front seat and the top part of the backseat I would have just enough room for almost lying straight. I would primarily want to stay in the tent since I would be able to stand up. The down fall is the tent will weigh close to fifty pounds and my back is thrashed. I'm originally from So Cal so I've camped a lot in areas with rattlers. I have a healthy respect for snakes but I don't worry about them like I would with bears or mountain lions.

I considered the Springbar. The tent looks great but it might be a bit high for desert winds and canvas leaks pretty good in rain. Even treated and when wet, canvas gets heavy. I went with a MSR. Not a drop of rain has ever leaked through. I also have a bigger REI and it has done great, too. Springbar certainly looks a lot roomier, though.

I do know that many long time "Burners" (folks that attend The Burning Man Festival--where it can be EXTREMELY windy) use Kodiaks and Springbars because the can handle the 60+ mph winds.

I saw that video. That lady has an awesome tent. I couldn't afford anything like that right now, but I did find me a tent online from Walmart. I love it!

I needed something I could easily assemble and break down on my own. Sometpthat would fit in the trunk of my car.  And something not too heavy, that I could lift and carry.

The tent I bought met all those requirements and is great. It is an Ozark Trail 12 x 12 Instant Teepee for $99. Shipping was free. I was able to set up and take down by myself in a matter of a few minutes. Ridiculously easy. 

It does sweat inside, so I have to be careful not to set anything against the sides. I also haven't tested it in rain, so I don't know how much water sealing I have to do.  But, so far so good :)

You'll hate it the first time you have to move and it's wet! Good luck though, I was recently looking at that option but decided to look for a motor home.

I have waterproofed several tents over the years with Scotch Guard water proofing spray. Spray both the inside and outside and then extra on all the seems. Do this before it rains on you. Finding the leaks, after you are soaking wet, is no fun.

Yes, seal your tent. The only thing worse than putting a tent up in the rain is talking one down...

The tent is going to be a temporary solution to get me on the road for the RTR. I plan on not having anything nor reason to come back to a permanent dwelling. I'm upside down on my car so I need to keep it for another year or so. It's a Ford Fiesta sedan and there isn't one video of a conversion on Youtube. What do I do with the seats come selling time? The inside space is tiny, but I'll set it up for an emergency place to sleep. According to Springbar and Kodiak to waterproof a canvas tent you need to set it up, spray it with water and let it dry. I'll dread it if I have pack it up wet! When I can afford a van I'll donate my tent to someone in need and get a nylon pop up to store goods in. I'm working hard trying to save money, but it's really hard living week to week. I want to meet everyone at the RTR 2019 and officially become a nomad!!

For what those canvas tents sell for, you might find a light weight enclosed cargo trailer. It would be like having a tear drop trailer. Pickup bed made into a trailer are usually cheap and you can put a shell on the bed.

DannyB1954 said:
For what those canvas tents sell for, you might find a light weight enclosed cargo trailer. It would be like having a tear drop trailer.  Pickup bed made into a trailer are usually cheap and you can put a shell on the bed.

My car can't tow anything otherwise I would have a cargo trailer!

Then there's the option of going here : http://www.shelters-to-go.com/flatgalvanized34.shtml      to buy the parts. Erect it, then just use a cheap Walmart tent underneath. The whole thing would save ya a coupl'a $100 compared to buying a Kodiak.  Use 4" poles (EMT) (to fit in your car) and connectors and you could easily carry/erect a 16'WX16'LX8"H shelter. Clip/bungee on side walls as needed.. I'd suggest using 1" emt and you could probably go without center poles (just 4 corner poles). DEFINITELY could if you used 13/8" chain link pipe poles.
FYI, doing the above with 13/8 poles, 4'long would create a "pole bundle" smaller than 4'X7"x7"

I have done both the shelters and the Kodiak. Shelters have come and gone but the Kodiak is still going strong and weather tight, granted we do take better care of the Kodiak but it is easier and over all much better to set up and take down when traveling.