Bears in South Florida?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davsey85

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone knows if a bear I south Florida is capable of breaking into an SUV with the windows rolled up and doors locked parking in a camp area and staying in the car?

Thank You

A bear would need a reason to want to get inside of something.
There are protocols to bear proof a campsite. Search for them here and online, and apply them.
Main thing is to contain and secure any food and trash out of a bear's reach.

Never feed any animal that could come back to bite you.

Many people camp in tents in bear country without incident.

Automotive glass is made to not break easily. It takes a special tool to break auto glass. Vehicle doors and locks are designed to not fly open in a crash.

Lock your key in the vehicle, then watch what the mobile locksmith has to use to get the door open just enough to unlock the door with a slim jim.

Yes they can easily break into your car. That said I haven’t heard that the Florida bears have taken to such. If you google bear breaking into car you’ll see lots and lots.

Automotive glass is made to not break easily. It takes a special tool to break auto glass.

I've seen video of a bear using his weight to push in and break a side window to get into a car. No problem at all. The bear probably learned to do it first on a car with a window that was left down a bit. A partially open window would be easier to break than one that was fully closed.

Last edited:
I don't think this is something to worry about.

If a bear is trying to get into your locked vehicle with windows rolled up, I am assuming you will wake up. Honk the horn, set off the alarm, drive away.

I would be much more concerned about snakes crawling up through various cracks and holes that exist in a vehicle.

Bears will try to get into cars if they've learned that food can be found inside.

If you leave a window down an inch or two, a bear can stick his claws in the gap and pull the window out. I watched a video of this, and will try to find it. (Found it -- Google "Police catch bear breaking into cars" on YouTube)

Bears can also push a window in, and they can open an unlocked door if it has a pull-type handle.

Last edited:
The OP said the windows will be rolled up and the doors locked.

But, since it seems bears will break into cars, homes, stores and even police stations looking for food, I guess that means building a concrete bunker with steel reinforced windows and doors.

I live in an area with black bears. I don't know anyone around here who is afraid of them. We respect them, yes, but afraid, no. One neighbor caught a bear digging in her garbage. She ran outside and started hollering at it and throwing gravel at it. It ran away.

Another bear has been coming through my alley frequently. No one is concerned about it.

Another neighbor went behind his shed and came face to face with a black bear. Both the bear and the neighbor were surprised at the encounter. Both turned and ran away.

If the OP is in his/her vehicle with the windows rolled up and doors locked, I don't see any reason for fear. It's not like a bear is going to be a stealthy thief. If it is trying to get in for food, the vehicle is going to be shaking and moving. There is going to be noise. I can't imagine sleeping through this. Yes, it might be a bit disconcerting to wake up to that commotion, but honk the horn, trigger the alarm if the car has one, holler at it, start it up and drive away.

Grizzlies are another story. But we are talking about black bears.

From this site: https://bear.org/how-dangerous-are-black-bears/

"Black bears have killed 61 people across North America since 1900. This no longer worries me. My chances of being killed by a domestic dog, bees, or lightning are vastly greater. My chances of being murdered are 60,000 times greater. One of the safest places a person can be is in the woods."

Last edited:
Black bears in Florida, like black bears anywhere, are fully capable of breaking into any car. Peel it back like a can opener.

But in order to bother doing it, they have to have learned somewhere along the way that cars frequently have food in them. If a campground posts a sign about bears - pay attention!

Of all the worries in all the gin joints in all the world,I would list this at priority number 964.