Bay Area/Sacramento

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsgo

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I have a dodge caravan and bought the basic tools to get started, but I’ve gotta say something isn’t clicking with me. (Been trying for over a year) Here’s why imo - I don’t know where to go to not draw attention - I’m self conscious. I don’t know of any open areas around here that I could just set up my tent, table, stove and chair. I have tinted windows but still feel like I need more privacy.

Anyone spent time in Northern California with suggestions for some private spots? I know I need to get out of urban areas but don’t know where to go

Most of the things I'm interested in doing are in large cities, small towns, or the surrounding areas. I lived in SF and Oakland for a decade. I can't speak from a camper's prospective, but Lake and Mendocino counties are not densly populated and have a lot of open space. Gorgeous part of the country...

Deeply tinted windows afford privacy in broad daylight, but are useless when the lights inside the van are brighter than the ambient light outside. During the short days of winter this can start happening at 4pm. I'm my opinion, window coverings are essential kit for urbandocking. After a couple of DIY attempts and buying inexpensive coverings, I bit the bullet and bought professionally made, insulated window coverings designed specifically for Sprinters. It was money well spent. It shows total blackout from the outside when all my lights are on inside. It makes the inside pitch black if I want to take a mid day nap. It also helps control heat loss escaping via the windows in the winter (and the reverse in warm climates).

I should have mentioned in my previous post that WeatherTech makes window coverings for the Dodge Caravan (and a lot of other vehicles). They are not of the highest quality (based on my experience using it in my van) but they are reasonably priced and a decent value for the money. They will definitely prevent inquiring eyes from seeing inside you vehicle. I dunno the year of your vehicle, but here's a link:

https://www.weathertech.com/dodge/2010/grand-caravan/sunshade/

Hi everyone - I have a dodge caravan and bought the basic tools to get started, but I’ve gotta say something isn’t clicking with me. (Been trying for over a year) Here’s why imo - I don’t know where to go to not draw attention - I’m self conscious. I don’t know of any open areas around here that I could just set up my tent, table, stove and chair. I have tinted windows but still feel like I need more privacy.

Anyone spent time in Northern California with suggestions for some private spots? I know I need to get out of urban areas but don’t know where to go
Any place that allows camping! State parks and national parks. Some counties have campgrounds. RV parks that allow tent camping - many don't.

Start with www.campendium.com and www.allstays.com/- both offer an app. A web-only site is www.freecampsites.net. That's just for starters. You will not be conspicuous surrounded by people who are doing the same thing as you!