Battery storage in hot weather weekend camper only?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbankid12

Reaction score
I’m looking to transition from living in my van to it being a weekend camper but likely won’t use it as such... so like just storage fro the next few months

It’s going to be parked right across n the hot Texas sun. I have 200watts 200ah battery (really heavy) and a small truck fridge. 

What is the best storage solutions ?‍♂️ Do I just keep everything running and keep windows cracked to help decrease temp or should I dismantle the solar panels and remove the battery.. 

I kinda want to leave it in place but I worry it might be to hot and damage things plus risk of fire? Oh and theift of the car? 

I’m not worried about the system the panels are u bolted with long threads and lock washers ? they be cranking on those for a while.. 

My gut says just unplug the fridge and keep a fan on nonstop to draw power and let the system keep working... any advice would be appreciated thanks ? in advance

A lot depends on what type battereies you have.

I believe in leaving the refrigeration running. My first Engel has been running non-stop for 11 years my second one for 10 years. They have only been shut off for short periods like for a few hours when I installed my floor and I had to have them out of the way.

Like Bullfrog said depends on what type of battery you have.

Also sitting idle for long periods is never good for anything. Everything need exercise.

Highdesertranger

Like the two knowledgeable members above already said...it depends.....
Please tell us what batteries you are using

From Battery University......

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_heat_and_harsh_loading_reduces_battery_life
BU-806a: How Heat and Loading affect Battery Life
Learn about the temperature and how start-stop shortens the life of a starter battery.

Heat is a killer of all batteries, but high temperatures cannot always be avoided. This is the case with a battery inside a laptop, a starter battery under the hood of a car and stationary batteries in a tin shelter under the hot sun. As a guideline, each 8°C (15°F) rise in temperature cuts the life of a sealed lead acid battery in half. This means that a VRLA battery for stationary applications specified to last for 10 years at 25°C (77°F) would only live 5 years if continuously exposed to 33°C (92°F) and 30 months if kept at a constant desert temperature of 41°C (106°F). Once the battery is damaged by heat, the capacity cannot be restored.

https://www.renogy.com/deep-cycle-a...dySzUsvyO2shX04qwO-KPwc8_ielw5jQaAkJdEALw_wcB

That’s pretty much it I bought it at Home Depot but likely the same everything except the twine handles are black. Renorgy AGM 12v 200ah batt. In a contained box it’s a pain moving since it’s over 200lbs but if need be I could easily get it done

I just don’t know if I should or if it’s fine.. I planning on walking to work so only be driving on the weekends.. I’m starting to lean towards removing it but if it’s ok to stay might be nice to have a fast escape plan

FAQ: How to protect your battery against the summer heat
https://www.odysseybattery.com/news/faq-how-to-protect-your-battery-against-the-summer-heat/

What are some common car battery issues that occur if they get too hot?
As lead acid batteries absorb high heat, chemical activity in the battery accelerates. This reduces service life at a rate of 50% for every 18°F (10°C) increase from 77°F (25°C). If a battery has a design life of six years at 77°F (25°C), and the battery spent its life at 95°F (35°C), then its delivered service life would be three years. This dramatic reduction in delivered service life can cause older batteries to suddenly fail in high heat because the accelerated failure rate occurs without warning.

What happens to an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery in extreme heat?
Lead-calcium AGM batteries are similar to lead-calcium flooded batteries as both have continuous grid corrosion (galvanic corrosion) and this issue is increased due to high heat.  Thin Plate Pure Lead (TPPL) AGM batteries do not have this continuous galvanic grid corrosion and as a result have a 10- to 12-year design life. High heat has much less effect of deteriorating the grids as the grids only have one primary material being pure lead at minimum 99.99%.  Although all lead acid batteries service life is affected by high heat, the 10- to 12-year ODYSSEY® battery design life is twice that of lead-calcium automotive/commercial batteries and will always offer twice the life.

Are there any advantages of using AGM batteries over well cell or gel cell in the summer?
TPPL AGM batteries, such as ODYSSEY® Extreme Series™ batteries, are designed specifically for high temperatures. They can reach up to 176°F (80°C) and not lose internal water, as the battery remains sealed during its operation. Other AGM batteries, due to their lower safety internal pressure relief valves, see higher rates of water evaporation. The loss of water results in a diminished capacity and, thus, a reduced service life.

Well according to the specs it says the battery is fine from -4 to 140F for storage. What I found interesting is it said don't charge below 32°.

Highdesertranger

I looked at the link, I saw a two year warranty I believe. The specs said it was okay to charge up to temps of 122 degrees and discharge up to 140 degrees. Most ratings were at 77 degrees which is probably close to the ideal upper temp to store it at. If I had more than a year left on the warranty and could keep the temps inside the vehicle below 90 degrees by opening vents and running a fan during the day I would probably risk it if just for a month or two. You could possibly use a cheap foam cooler with some holes cut for the cables duct taped to the open door of the Truck Fridge and set it on 70 degrees put the battery in it and let everything run if for like several months if your industrious like I used to be before I retired. By the way specs showed it to weigh 128 lbs. so humping it in and out of am air conditioned house every couple of weeks and hooking it up to a battery tender while in the house is more like a free gym membership! Lol!!! You could put on a dolly or wheeled cart. If you do that I would take the Truck Fridge inside and use a 120 volt adaptor to store your drinks in.

Bullfrog,
Wouldn't those extremities mean "yes, it will work safely at those temps"........

But still shorten the battery life?
Ideally, the battery would be kept at 77F but that is not always possible. 77F is the benchmark listed at many battery maintenance sites.

That said, every time you drive you car long enough to fully heat up the engine and battery under the hood, you are probably heating the batter to 140F or more and yet
they somehow last for years under there.

I don't see regular LA or SLA or even regular AGM's lasting much beyond 5 or 6 years even if they were kept at 77F with complete perfect maintenance.

So what they say and what happens in reality seem different sometimes.

It's the baseline. You Must have a baseline and disclose it or else specs mean nothing. The 77° is the base line but is only achievable in laboratory conditions for the most part.

It's like solar Panels under normal conditions you will never see what they are rated for because they are rated in lab conditions. Also vehicle alternators same thing you will never see the output equal the rating.

Todays lesson in science.

Highdesertranger

^^^ true but so far over the last 15 years I have been lucky enough to average 7 years battery life and they are kept in harsh environments, talk about sticker shock when I have to buy new ones! I think keeping them slightly active all the time is the most important thing, at least in my opinion. By the way I just started having to buy new batteries as I lived by a marina with house boats for years that allowed me to check discarded batteries. They were the old Optima made in the USA batteries many after being revived were over 7 years old and lasted several more years!