Battery for Solar

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeLugton

Reaction score
I am debating starting out with a 50Watt Solar panel Renogy Kit.  Does anyone know if this battery will work for 50 to 100 watt Panel.  It is and 
[font=Arial, sans-serif]ML35-12 - 12V 35AH U1 Deep Cycle AGM Solar Battery Replaces 33Ah, 34Ah, 36Ah - Mighty Max Battery brand product.  Thanks for any help I can get[/font]

Hi Dee,
If you're a newb, welcome aboard! As far as your question, the best information you'll find on all things battery is in the Electrics, battery and solar part of the forum. Scroll down and copy and paste your question there. There is, not only a wealth of advice and answers, some amazing folk there so are amazingly helpful! I knew very little about 12 volt systems when I started. Besides the available help from other members, the old threads are very helpful. Not a lot about 12 volt has changed since this forum started in 2012, so most of it is cogent. Well, then, maybe the biggest change is the cost of solar, which has dropped.

Be aware that your question is likely to be answered exhaustively and can be difficult to comprehend. Just ask for clarification.

Have fun,
Ted

35 amps hours is not very much capacity, but 50 watts is not much solar either.

As long as your electrical loads are light it should work OK, but if you find it is not enough, then you will wish you had put the money you spent on the 35AH battery and 50watts towards more battery capacity and solar wattage.

I think If I were to get a 35AH Agm battery it would be this one:

https://www.amazon.com/KEYKO-Genuin...32879&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=keyko+35ah&th=1

I don;t know if there is really much difference in these Asian AGM internals though. marketing wins again.

Finding the battery size required is very simple and straight forward. Determine your daily watt hour usage, multiply it by 5, then divide by the battery voltage. [Daily wh x 5] / Battery voltage. so if you need 1000 wh per day and want to use a 12 volt battery then [1000 x 5] / 12 volts = 416 Amp Hours.

If you are [only] solar charging the batteries, you have to tweak this to allow the batteries to recharge and have enough solar to power your daytime loads, in the 4-6 solar hours in a day.

Hope this helps...