Backpack Review and Travel Tips

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creekranger

Reaction score
Cheap Backpack Review and travel tips.

These all take very little space and may be useful to Van Living, for example the mini routers discussed are a great way to extend your range for WiFi connections and not have to connect multiple devices.

Check out other videos on channel for more Van specific reviews and tips.

Kills me how behind I’ve become with modern communications. How come no solar panel on the bag I wonder? With all the electronics in the bag the only area to carry anything else was a water bottle! I liked the motion detector and gps tag but with a sharp knife and a few seconds a good runner would defeat most if not all the security devices. To me this is just a good computer bag for storage, would you really not have maybe an Apple Watch or a good cell phone in a protective case instead? Pretty neat review and lots of ideas for stuff I’ve never considered, think I need to watch a few more! Lol!!!

You didn't mention which backpack you have exactly. That brand sells over 60 backpacks.

Kills me how behind I’ve become with modern communications. How come no solar panel on the bag I wonder? With all the electronics in the bag the only area to carry anything else was a water bottle! I liked the motion detector and gps tag but with a sharp knife and a few seconds a good runner would defeat most if not all the security devices. To me this is just a good computer bag for storage, would you really not have maybe an Apple Watch or a good cell phone in a protective case instead? Pretty neat review and lots of ideas for stuff I’ve never considered, think I need to watch a few more! Lol!!!
Not so easy to cut with a knife and nothing is as important as situational awareness.

I am traveling now with just this bag now and all the stuff you see as well as my toiletries a change of clothes and my laptop is in it with room left over.

Take a look at the other video on the channel for other security tips.

a solar panel on a backpack is a waste of space not enough area to generate enough power but if you want to see an interesting solar set up look out our video with both mono and poly panels.

You would not want to put a solar charger on a bag you are storing electronic devices inside of. Phones, tablets and laptops suffer damage if they get too hot. An enclosed bage, even with heat reflective insulation could reach damaging temperature levels. Instead you would want to have a fold up solar panel with a cord long enough to reach an electronic battery contains device that is protected from heat of direct sun.

Only the rear vertices surface of a daypack such as the one shown is large enough to have a useful solar panel. But that orientation means the panel is in a vertical position which is not optimized for solar input. Additionally you will not always have your back facing into the sun at the right time of day to get very much in the way of solar input.

So overall a daypack such as the one reviewed is simply, at best,!only a marginally effective place to locate a solar panel. A van dweller has many, much more effective, options for obtaining and storing solar power.

The one featured is a nice looking daypack to take along on trips. I have used them when flying into locations where I am doing longer days of sightseeing and do not have the convenience of moving around in my own vehicle. But as a van type of dweller my sturdy backpacks have instead turned into tool bags.

Last edited:
Lots of nice toys featured in the video, but I don't think my 17" laptop would fit. I do have a $60 backpack it does fit in, and all the compartments will take a mini luggage type lock, but mostly I use it for day hikes with water bladder. https://www.amazon.com/24BattlePack-Tactical-Backpack-Assault-Black/dp/B0BDMLF7CK?th=1

Amazon has many similar backpacks for substantially less. They may look "fat", but will cinch down if less room needed. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tacticon...x=tacticon+backpacks,aps,541&ref=nb_sb_noss_2